Steel Bending, Scrolling, Snapping and other forms of destruction

Donc101

Damn dude.  Killer (almost) job.  Rest up.  Fall is on the way!

Edited by anwnate
  • Like 1

Don Larkin contest was today. I could not make the contest this year, so I did some bends at home to honor him and all he meant to the strongman world and a Michigan in particular. I did a world record attempt for DHWOG long bar braced speed bending 3 rated bars. Bars went down fairly fast, this should be approved as a new record. Then, I braced bent 3 x DHWOG rated 166.3 kg grade 5 bolts taped together. This was one of the hardest braced bends I have ever done. The bolts were not moving at first. I almost stopped trying but then there was some small movement and I just stuck with it. Took a long time. Zapped my CNS. Here are videos and a couple pics.

68F19EA0-C45B-4A76-9D07-84D90C6B6B58.jpeg

70FF28F9-ECE4-48FA-8616-D3449C21F3E4.jpeg

096060A8-7A16-4494-AF6C-434547548D72.jpeg

• Like 4

Fun to be on the new Beyond the Bend podcast. Here is the link.

• Like 3

I had a good training day. Did all sorts of bending. Highlights include 2 Horrido bolts. Here are pics and video of an A2 bolt in one IMP and a braced 5.5” 12.9 Bolt. I failed the 5.5” bolt and was not even close to it a couple weeks ago.

878DEC9D-E3D1-4432-9702-7B5D3A9F40B9.jpeg

• Like 6

Great bends and truly inspirational! 

Edited by Lennix
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lennix said:

Great bends and truly inspirational! 

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

Here are pics and video of two fun bends done today. A A2 Horrido bolt cut to 6” and bent in one IMP and a Noble Force 280kg bar cut to 6” and braced bent.

CD25B109-A4E7-4DCD-8551-16660E82F79A.jpeg

673B309B-EC99-44F8-BFA9-B57C73D01621.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice!  Which part of the bend in a single IMP do you think is the hardest?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anwnate said:

Nice!  Which part of the bend in a single IMP do you think is the hardest?

1 hour ago, William James said:

Nice one Don. That noble force bar looks like a monster 

Thanks guys! I think the kink is the hardest and most painful part in one IMP. How do you feel about it Nate? How about with the cut down pads?

I have one Noble Force 330 bar. They only had one left, it is their hardest bar. It should rate at about 1,000lbs in the Krahling system. The 280 would be about 840lbs, so I cut it down to make sure I was ready for the 330 bar.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Thanks guys! I think the kink is the hardest and most painful part in one IMP. How do you feel about it Nate? How about with the cut down pads?

I'm glad I asked.  I think it reveals a weakness to work on (for me).  With minwraps on stronger bars, I have the most trouble with the crush.  With all the minwrap work I did, I fail kinks because of lack of strength, not because of discomfort.   I got to work on my crush.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2020 at 4:59 PM, Donc101 said:

I have one Noble Force 330 bar. They only had one left, it is their hardest bar. It should rate at about 1,000lbs in the Krahling system. The 280 would be about 840lbs, so I cut it down to make sure I was ready for the 330 bar.

That’s a crazy rating! Based on the video above I’m sure you’ll make quick work of the 330.  

• Like 1

Did a bunch of random bending tonight, just whatever looked fun at the moment with no plan. Had not bent a wrench in awhile so I hit a 10” one. Did a GBI DO bend and a bunch of other stuff.

F1965193-1DCA-49F2-BA02-5B5754C535E7.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Did a bunch of random bending tonight, just whatever looked fun at the moment with no plan. Had not bent a wrench in awhile so I hit a 10” one. Did a GBI DO bend and a bunch of other stuff.

F1965193-1DCA-49F2-BA02-5B5754C535E7.jpeg

Made short work of that steel.  Awesome pic.  Should frame it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very pumped about this big PR! 12mm x 6 7/8” DHWOG Rated Steel bend. This was done in under 5 minutes and meets the rules of DHWOG Old School Braced bending certifications. Here is video and pic:

4254DF0F-FA89-4248-B2D2-E0C08BD77F8D.jpeg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Very pumped about this big PR! 12mm x 6 7/8” DHWOG Rated Steel bend. This was done in under 5 minutes and meets the rules of DHWOG Old School Braced bending certifications. Here is video and pic:

4254DF0F-FA89-4248-B2D2-E0C08BD77F8D.jpeg

Good. I was try some steel from DHWOG in old days too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kirill_Shuhovtsev said:

Good. I was try some steel from DHWOG in old days too

Thanks Kirill. 

Zass Day 2020 was up and down but fantastic overall. I first tried to bend a Noble Force 330 bar cut down to 6.5”. I put so much into the bend and tried for over 30 minutes but only bent it to 3.5”. Maybe should have left it the normal length. Next, I DO bent a Gold Nail replica. Then, a spike speed bending world record attempt. I was too slow, but can get faster for sure. Finally, the highlight for me. An all out war with a giant killer combo x 2 braced bend. 2 grade 5 bolts and 2 6” nails taped together. Took so much out of me. A war of attrition and it finally quit. I outlasted it and am beat right now. Did damage to my hands and am walking gimpy. Very happy with this! Happy Zass Day! Pics and video below.

3118B61D-C794-4749-BD2D-016CB577732D.jpeg

• Like 6

My daughter Scarlett is turning 6. We had her birthday party today. 6 years old. I wanted to do a tough feat of strength for her. I attempted a spike speed bending world record. The current record is 3 x 213kg bars in 28 seconds. I did 3 bars in under 20 seconds today. Over to David Horne to judge now. Video:

0C744E1B-00C0-426B-8E80-95BDDDA4EADB.jpeg

• Like 5

The speed spike bending record attempt was approved by David Horne at 18 seconds, 10 seconds faster than the old record! I am happy with this because I attempted to break the record last weekend and was too slow. I tried after other hard bends last weekend and this week I did it when fresh.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Donc101 said:

The speed spike bending record attempt was approved by David Horne at 18 seconds, 10 seconds faster than the old record! I am happy with this because I attempted to break the record last weekend and was too slow. I tried after other hard bends last weekend and this week I did it when fresh.

Congratulations Don! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, William James said:

Congratulations Don! 

Thank you very much!

I did 2 DO certs today. 8mm Horrido 8.8 bolt and 210kg GBI bar that is 9mm stainless. Here are videos.

98EDDFDD-EE57-47EE-8C6D-1A8D3C97D4AF.jpeg

• Like 5

...and the train rolls on! :rock

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, anwnate said:

...and the train rolls on! :rock

Thanks Nate!