Steel Bending, Scrolling, Snapping and other forms of destruction

Donc101

On 11/15/2018 at 3:24 PM, Donc101 said:

I did my first steel shredder bar. Here is the video.

Nice bend! As always! 🙂

How does David's steel compare to other 5/8" stock you have bent? - I would like to join the competition also, but I am not sure what to order. I could improve my bending down to the 30" range, but still have problems with shorter bars...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, camz said:

Nice bend! As always! 🙂

How does David's steel compare to other 5/8" stock you have bent? - I would like to join the competition also, but I am not sure what to order. I could improve my bending down to the 30" range, but still have problems with shorter bars...

Thank you sir! This is S275 steel. I am not sure if you are familiar with it. We don't have it here in the US.  The batches have varied greatly.  The one batch was so hard, way harder than normal hrs.  Then the next batch was probably a bit easier than hrs I am used to.  Its good that the steel is rated, so the variances are accounted for.  This current batch is probably in the middle. It is definitely harder than the normal hrs I get here. A 25.5" A36 hrs bend would be very easy for me, but this was tougher. Hope that helps. You should definitely join in the fun!

Edited by Donc101
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Thank you sir! This is S275 steel. I am not sure if you are familiar with it. We don't have it here in the US.  The batches have varied greatly.  The one batch was so hard, way harder than normal hrs.  Then the next batch was probably a bit easier than hrs I am used to.  Its good that the steel is rated, so the variances are accounted for.  This current batch is probably in the middle. It is definitely harder than the normal hrs I get here. A 25.5" A36 hrs bend would be very easy for me, but this was tougher. Hope that helps. You should definitely join in the fun!

Thanks! 

I totally suck at bars shorter than 25" or so. I just have no clue what to do... And I am working on some other bars as well. But my son wants to join Steelshredder, so I will join also 😄 Let's see what's possible....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, camz said:

Thanks! 

I totally suck at bars shorter than 25" or so. I just have no clue what to do... And I am working on some other bars as well. But my son wants to join Steelshredder, so I will join also 😄 Let's see what's possible....

I don't believe you. Haha.  I saw you kill that 18 mm bar to be 2nd on the old mid-bar list.  Makes me think you will probably do descent on the new list. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

I don't believe you. Haha.  I saw you kill that 18 mm bar to be 2nd on the old mid-bar list.  Makes me think you will probably do descent on the new list. 

Haha 😄 fair enough... 🙂

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

233 kg steel shredder bar.

Very interesting! You really had to fight for the kink, but smashed it at the end! Strong work!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, camz said:

Very interesting! You really had to fight for the kink, but smashed it at the end! Strong work!

Thanks! I find this steel to be hardest on the kink for sure. 

• Like 1

New scroll I did today. A wine rack in time for Thanksgiving tommorrow. 

D87F0B79-AA4E-4F44-9318-F4AEA2F13BA6.jpeg

• Like 6

Good workout today. I started with the steel shredder 238 kg bar. The sweep and crush are feeling really good right now. I just need to get my kink stronger to keep up. I also finished an 80d spike DO today to within 2 inches. First time finishing one. Did it fairly easy. Also some other random braced, DO, DU and reverse.

599EDE0F-C66E-4B83-A64A-EB975BB0B592.jpeg

F2760EAB-1A21-4980-B3B5-945D1C54DA12.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Good workout today. I started with the steel shredder 238 kg bar. The sweep and crush are feeling really good right now. I just need to get my kink stronger to keep up. I also finished an 80d spike DO today to within 2 inches. First time finishing one. Did it fairly easy. Also some other random braced, DO, DU and reverse.

599EDE0F-C66E-4B83-A64A-EB975BB0B592.jpeg

F2760EAB-1A21-4980-B3B5-945D1C54DA12.jpeg

Im light years behind you. Nicely done. Bends are getting bigger and bigger. I suspect i-beams will need to be added to bending inventories soon. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Im light years behind you. Nicely done. Bends are getting bigger and bigger. I suspect i-beams will need to be added to bending inventories soon. 

Haha! Thank you sir! Getting stronger slowly but surely. I think consistency and just hitting it week in and week out is the most important part of getting better at bending. You have been getting stronger too! 

• Thanks 1

Fun braced bending day today. I did the steel shredder 4 243kg bar. I had to cut down a bar to 23.5”. It was a brutal bar. It took most of the 5 minutes to get it done. I also did a new scroll that I am happy with. I have not uploaded the video of the bend yet but will post it later.

6B2848A8-F9BB-4DFD-8DDC-613054C023F5.jpeg

5C83CA09-8595-4F23-B739-E2092E3F6317.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Fun braced bending day today. I did the steel shredder 4 243kg bar. I had to cut down a bar to 23.5”. It was a brutal bar. It took most of the 5 minutes to get it done. I also did a new scroll that I am happy with. I have not uploaded the video of the bend yet but will post it later.

6B2848A8-F9BB-4DFD-8DDC-613054C023F5.jpeg

5C83CA09-8595-4F23-B739-E2092E3F6317.jpeg

Great scroll! What size is that?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

Great scroll! What size is that?

Thanks Tom! It was a 10 foot piece of flat bar. I really like how the flat bars turn out when scrolling. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Holy hell, what a battle! You and Reuben are in a league of your own in midbar braced bending!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Holy hell, what a battle! You and Reuben are in a league of your own in midbar braced bending!

Thanks! It was a battle for sure. Damn bar did everything possible to keep me from bending it. Have you done any bends yet? How is your training going?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Thanks! It was a battle for sure. Damn bar did everything possible to keep me from bending it. Have you done any bends yet? How is your training going?

I just started the other night. Have not done any bending since shredders 3. And when it comes to midbar bends, it’s probably the first time since 5-6 years. Bent a 28.5” 198kg bar, which went pretty ok. Easy kink and semi-difficult sweep. After that I jumped to a 24” 238kg bar and failed. The 28.5” bar felt easy enough to where I thought I was gonna be able to do a 24” aswell. But the jump turned out to be bigger than what I was expecting. Alot bigger!

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I just started the other night. Have not done any bending since shredders 3. And when it comes to midbar bends, it’s probably the first time since 5-6 years. Bent a 28.5” 198kg bar, which went pretty ok. Easy kink and semi-difficult sweep. After that I jumped to a 24” 238kg bar and failed. The 28.5” bar felt easy enough to where I thought I was gonna be able to do a 24” aswell. But the jump turned out to be bigger than what I was expecting. Alot bigger!

It really is amazing how you maintained your bending strength without bending for a long period.

This Steel is different than normal hrs. It ramps up pretty quick and almost feels springy sometimes.  Good luck with the training and bending!

• Like 1

Gripmas 2018 was a great time. Always great to see old friends and make new ones. My body is beat up and sore today. My main goal was to top David Horne’s list for bending the most pairs of 6” nails taped together in 2 minutes. David was at the top with 16 pairs. I was able to do 17 pairs for the top spot. I was exhausted afterwards. Lots of bending in a short period of time. I was also happy I was able to pull an over 300lb axle with no spescific grip training. Chris Rice is a top notch guy and has put on so many great comps. I am glad I was able to go to the last 2. All in all a really good weekend. Here is the video of the bending.

• Like 10

Wowza! That is crazy Don! Congratulations, what a cool record to take! A very merry gripmas indeed!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Dube said:

Wowza! That is crazy Don! Congratulations, what a cool record to take! A very merry gripmas indeed!

Thanks Andrew, it was a fun day and cool to get the 17.

• Like 1

I'm pumped for you man. You kicked some serious ass. You should be really proud of your hard work. 

• Like 1