Steel Bending, Scrolling, Snapping and other forms of destruction

Donc101

4 hours ago, Donc101 said:

DHWOG rated Braced bend, 16 mm x 30”

Nice!  Is this from the hard batch?  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

Nice!  Is this from the hard batch?  

Thanks Carl! Yes, it’s from that first batch everyone has said is hard. I will try a shorter piece probably Monday. Have you done any more work with this steel? You are getting really close to the big bastard DU, which is very impressive stuff!

2 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Thanks Carl! Yes, it’s from that first batch everyone has said is hard. I will try a shorter piece probably Monday. Have you done any more work with this steel? You are getting really close to the big bastard DU, which is very impressive stuff!

Thanks!  Going to fall soon.  Want to do it with IMPs + leather, but might go BBW amd leathers.  I'd be curious as to if anyone has ever done these shorter bars DU in smaller wraps.  I know there is no way I'd get this bar or the Huge in singles DU.  The Red yes, but after that, not too much higher.

i only had one of those bars and couldn't finish it in the time period.  They are definitely tough and you made it look easy.  Keep hitting them!  I might attempt another 30 from that hard batch (if I can get it), but don't know how much longer I want to keep pushing the 5/8" stuff, especially as this is all Round 2 for me.  :D. Going forward, probably aim to regularly hit 5/8 x 27ish stuff for fun/stress relief.  Unless another comp is on the horizon!  :rock

Keep killing it.  Impressive stuff!

• Like 1

Excellent bend Don! I think it looks like you are good for a shorter bar of the same steel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David_wigren said:

Excellent bend Don! I think it looks like you are good for a shorter bar of the same steel.

Thanks David! I will try shorter next week! Have a good day.

I tried a gold nail for the first time today. I was surprised to get a slight kink on it in doubles. It went to approx 3 degrees. I also tried a 8” KOAB that went to about 4 degrees. I have almost no experience with this longer stock. It was very encouraging to get some movement and makes me want to keep training on these longer pieces. The photo has the gold nail on top.

E54FA762-A4A3-4942-9D2C-209B6A653C0E.jpeg

• Like 8

Such an awesome wobble - and you moved it your first time trying - really great motivation right there! Impressive as always Don!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Such an awesome wobble - and you moved it your first time trying - really great motivation right there! Impressive as always Don!

Thanks Anton! It definetly motivates me to continue to hit it hard and see where it goes! You still hitting the Braced bends?

• Like 1

I did the DHWOG Braced 210 kg bar today. It’s 16 mm x 28”. This steel is so much harder than normal hrs in this batch. It’s springy and it’s hard to get the initial kink. Fun and challenging bar.

• Like 6

This is a long bar PR bend for me! It was hard but I felt like I could of done harder. I have been hitting ISOs  hard lately and I can feel it helping the bend. The steel is 3/4 x 40”.

• Like 4

Great stuff Don!  Congrats!  Did you find out what type of steel the 5/8" is?  I saw David's post on FB.  I haven't tried the 28" bar but don't think I would have much luck with it, especially after the "easier" bar that almost killed me.  LOL  I cannot kink on my knee, despite having some success with it recently.  Just too painful on the old injuries.  And kinking these bars the traditional way is rough.  

Same with the 3/4 x 40" bar ... awesome bend!  Love the chest crush!   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

Badass bend, Don!

Thanks Tom! Braced bending is so much fun!

2 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Great stuff Don!  Congrats!  Did you find out what type of steel the 5/8" is?  I saw David's post on FB.  I haven't tried the 28" bar but don't think I would have much luck with it, especially after the "easier" bar that almost killed me.  LOL  I cannot kink on my knee, despite having some success with it recently.  Just too painful on the old injuries.  And kinking these bars the traditional way is rough.  

Thank you Carl! I never heard back on what type of steel it is. I would like to know. I should message David. The initial kink is tough to get started, the steel really fights you. Definetly feels different than hrs.  

17 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Carl, I asked David and this was his response: "none of the new batches of steel has been HRS. It is very hard to find this in the UK now. Mostly in Europe it is a mild steel which has numbers like S235 and S275. The 235 being the weaker. So all the steel I have been ordering is S275, but as you can see they vary, and so what names they give are irrelevant. The only number that is good is the number we rate it at."

3/4" X 40"! BRUTAL! I remember trying a piece of 3/4" with everyone back at the end of 4ForFebruary at Nates and it was insane - congrats on the PR and the DHWOG bar! Yea I've still been hitting those a36 5/8" bars once a week or every other week depending how beat up I am - I've been bending Saturdays when we all get together for some grip and bending in order to get extra pumped and inspired! Can't crap out in front of the boys! Hah - I still gotta toughen up my legs more to take the braced bends though - I'm usually good for one real good shot on each leg on the kink and then the sweep then I can't manage the pain and can't hit it anymore - recoverys slow too no surprise, I'd train every Saturday then skip a week and come back and be able to bend a whole bar all the sudden - last Saturday me, Jose, Tom, and my one friend who never brace bent anything before tag teamed 3 5/8" x 34" bars - was awesome! @Tom Flesher is a beast ands been regularly eating whole 5/8 x 30" bars - he also finished 3 red nails Saturday ands on the verge of his first whole red nail bend! Of course we all look like children compared to you though haha - we regularly mention "yo you see what Don did this week?" haha - keep up the great work!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anton.Torrella said:

3/4" X 40"! BRUTAL! I remember trying a piece of 3/4" with everyone back at the end of 4ForFebruary at Nates and it was insane - congrats on the PR and the DHWOG bar! Yea I've still been hitting those a36 5/8" bars once a week or every other week depending how beat up I am - I've been bending Saturdays when we all get together for some grip and bending in order to get extra pumped and inspired! Can't crap out in front of the boys! Hah - I still gotta toughen up my legs more to take the braced bends though - I'm usually good for one real good shot on each leg on the kink and then the sweep then I can't manage the pain and can't hit it anymore - recoverys slow too no surprise, I'd train every Saturday then skip a week and come back and be able to bend a whole bar all the sudden - last Saturday me, Jose, Tom, and my one friend who never brace bent anything before tag teamed 3 5/8" x 34" bars - was awesome! @Tom Flesher is a beast ands been regularly eating whole 5/8 x 30" bars - he also finished 3 red nails Saturday ands on the verge of his first whole red nail bend! Of course we all look like children compared to you though haha - we regularly mention "yo you see what Don did this week?" haha - keep up the great work!

Thanks Anton! Good stuff.  Post a video sometime. I would love to see you attack a bar. Your intensity is always at a high level!

• Like 2

On 7/17/2018 at 12:41 PM, Donc101 said:

Carl, I asked David and this was his response: "none of the new batches of steel has been HRS. It is very hard to find this in the UK now. Mostly in Europe it is a mild steel which has numbers like S235 and S275. The 235 being the weaker. So all the steel I have been ordering is S275, but as you can see they vary, and so what names they give are irrelevant. The only number that is good is the number we rate it at."

OK, cool.  I have never bent any of those (aside from the recent hard ones, only one of which actually bent).  They feel like CRS, and cold-rolled is brutal.  I used to buy bars from big box hardware stores at 5/8 and couldn't regularly finish it at 28-29" and this was when I was regularly bending 5/8 x 22.5-23" HRS.  I could never really kink on the knee, and that was probably the biggest problem, as the movement on these bars over the top of the leg is minimal.

I'd love to see what you can do at shorter lengths of HRS, after having been bending this crazy-hard stock.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Thanks Anton! Good stuff.  Post a video sometime. I would love to see you attack a bar. Your intensity is always at a high level!

Hah thanks! Yea I'll definitely try and record it next time

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

So Don, would you say the Goliath was harder than the 3/4” bar or vice versa?

Goliath is harder than 3/4” round bars.

• Like 1

I made some great progress on DO today. I started working longer 3/8 stock. I have an 8” KOAB that I have only been able to get an 8 degree kink on and that is over a couple sessions. Today that bar gave way and I bent it down to 4 5/8”. I will attach a photo. This was the last bend of a long workout. Im pumped to try it at the start on Saturday. 

I did a Big Golden Bastard to 30 degrees DU. I did 2 other FBBC bars I videoed.

B217ED61-A931-4534-8D75-2418DB4EB002.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KapMan said:

Slaying metal. Damn.

Thank you sir! How is your bending?