Grip Strength Stories

TheVictoryGrip!

Hello gripsters and newcomers alike!

I want to see if any of you would like to share any interesting, funny or peculiar stories concerning grip strength in your life.

For example, I used to know a weight-lifter back in high school [I will not disclose his real name for his protection] who I reacquainted with in college, that was jacked to the gills! He may not have been on the level of Arnold Schwarzenegger but he was built like an up-and-coming strongman. One day, I'm riding on the bus with him and during the course of our conversation, we brought up the subject of martial arts.

I had trained in Judo at the time with five months worth of training experience while he had three years of training experience in Jiu-Jitsu. I suggested to him that we spar at a nearby park to measure our skills and to exchange ideas and techniques. We went there and after a few rounds of sparring with him, I noticed he was tapping out a lot earlier than I had expected, I wasn't sure what it was but we continued nonetheless.

At some point he cried out that we stop and I asked him what the problem was. He replied that I was, "grabbing him too hard". :dry  I -- of course -- thought it was complete nonsense but I promised not to grab too hard. But when I grabbed the collar of his shirt, the whole thing ripped in half!:blink

The look on his face was priceless! He looked at me like I forgot to flush his bathroom toilet! Then he looks up and me and says,

" Oh my god! What am I gonna tell my mother?!":cry I laughed it off and I gave him my coat to cover up the torn shirt.

We went back unto the bus and everybody -- and I mean everybody -- noticed the torn shirt. I had some mean looks coming from all directions, like I took advantage of him or something.:D Naturally he was upset about the whole situation but I made up for it by getting him pizza and a drink.

I apologized and we went our separate ways. I never got the chance to see him again after that but I wish him all the best!

• Like 1

You are from NYC as I also was growing up... so you may be familiar with the grocery store “key food”. I worked there throughout high school and was heavy into powerlifting at the time. The grocery store had a booth next to the cash registers for the cashiers to cash out and for us to pick up our pay checks. The ledge where we would pick up our checks had vertical bars like a jail cell... of course much thinner bars for security. The manager started teasing that he wasn’t gonna give the check. I put my hand around 2 of the bars like I was going to squeeze them shut... and the manager says... Joe... you may be a gorilla but you ain’t gonna squeeze them bars! I looked at him and squeezed as hard as I could... and to my surprise I think even more than his.... the bars bent in and one snapped.  Believe it or not! 100% true story! He deducted the bar cost from my next check! 

Joe

I think this one has a little grip/arm strength aspect: a year or so ago the door to my Honda Odyssey wouldn't close smoothly.  It had been doing that once in a while, and I would nudge or coax it, and it would close, but it got worse and worse.  One day it just jammed open and would not close even with coaxing, so I just grabbed it and tried to force it closed, assuming I'd just break through whatever the block was.  Instead, I ripped the entire door off; it was just hanging by the electric cord!  I'm not that big a guy, so notwithstanding the damage I had caused, I was pretty proud of my inadvertent "feat" -- until, of course, I had to pay to fix it ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You are from NYC as I also was growing up... so you may be familiar with the grocery store “key food”. I worked there throughout high school and was heavy into powerlifting at the time. The grocery store had a booth next to the cash registers for the cashiers to cash out and for us to pick up our pay checks. The ledge where we would pick up our checks had vertical bars like a jail cell... of course much thinner bars for security. The manager started teasing that he wasn’t gonna give the check. I put my hand around 2 of the bars like I was going to squeeze them shut... and the manager says... Joe... you may be a gorilla but you ain’t gonna squeeze them bars! I looked at him and squeezed as hard as I could... and to my surprise I think even more than his.... the bars bent in and one snapped.  Believe it or not! 100% true story! He deducted the bar cost from my next check! 

Joe

:D Jeez, you'd think he'd give you a promotion after that! Then again, at least you didn't drop and break a $30,000 printer like I did! :D

Grip hard and live easy my friend!;)

2 minutes ago, TheVictoryGrip! said:

:D Jeez, you'd think he'd give you a promotion after that! Then again, at least you didn't drop and break a $30,000 printer like I did! :D

A $30,000 printer?

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I think this one has a little grip/arm strength aspect: a year or so ago the door to my Honda Odyssey wouldn't close smoothly.  It had been doing that once in a while, and I would nudge or coax it, and it would close, but it got worse and worse.  One day it just jammed open and would not close even with coaxing, so I just grabbed it and tried to force it closed, assuming I'd just break through whatever the block was.  Instead, I ripped the entire door off; it was just hanging by the electric cord!  I'm not that big a guy, so notwithstanding the damage I had caused, I was pretty proud of my inadvertent "feat" -- until, of course, I had to pay to fix it ...

That must have been quite difficult to explain to the insurance company.

Rep: "I'm sorry sir, can you please repeat that for me?"

Vinnie: "I said, I pulled the door to my car and the door came off."

Rep: "So what you're saying is, you ripped the door off?"

Vinnie: "That's one way of putting it."

*CLICK*

Vinnie: "Hello? Heello?"

*BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP*

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

A $30,000 printer?

It was a high-quality commercial printer that was owned by this company I used to work for. At least it was anyway.:rolleyes

12 hours ago, TheVictoryGrip! said:

I want to ask what @Joseph Sullivan asked but more specific. What is the printer serial type?

Edited by Alawadhi

1 hour ago, Alawadhi said:

I want to ask what @Joseph Sullivan asked but more specific. What is the printer serial type?

I don't exactly remember what the specific model was (because of just how much I despised working there) but I *think* it was similar to an Epson Surecolor F7200 Printer.

19 minutes ago, TheVictoryGrip! said:

I don't exactly remember what the specific model was (because of just how much I despised working there) but I *think* it was similar to an Epson Surecolor F7200 Printer.

lol why you didn't like to work there? That's expensive printer indeed. It can go anywhere 13K to 19K depending on where you buy it from. Did they charge you? Hope not that's a lot, ouch!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alawadhi said:

lol why you didn't like to work there? That's expensive printer indeed. It can go anywhere 13K to 19K depending on where you buy it from. Did they charge you? Hope not that's a lot, ouch!

The place I worked at was a warehouse that specialized in steel printing, I loved working there but the fella who worked there with me that was my manager, he was a very willfully ignorant person.

The story behind the printer started right around the latter end of my employment, where my manager made my job -- which was otherwise very straight-forward -- unnecessarily complicated, at some point during my shift, he asked me to move this printer [a similar one I mentioned earlier] to another location.

I don't think you need me to tell you what a bad idea it is to get only one person to move this highly expensive and heavy printer to another part of the warehouse. So as soon as I start carefully moving the printer to the desired location, one of the bottom screws from the printer suddenly came off, causing the printer to tilt and fall.

It was like a bomb went off when the printer fell to the ground. There was glass and ink everywhere! I thought for sure I would get fired. I cleaned up as much as I could but the damage was done -- this printer was busted!:ohmy

My manager didn't talk to me all day. As soon as it was time for lunch, a co-worker of mine kept claiming that I threw it to the ground rather than dropping it by accident. He later explained to me there was a good chance I would work there for free for at least more than a year because of just how pricey it is. I asked him how much it costed and he replied, "$30,000".:unsure

The good news is that they didn't take anything off of my paycheck.:laugh

47 minutes ago, TheVictoryGrip! said:

The place I worked at was a warehouse that specialized in steel printing, I loved working there but the fella who worked there with me that was my manager, he was a very willfully ignorant person.

The story behind the printer started right around the latter end of my employment, where my manager made my job -- which was otherwise very straight-forward -- unnecessarily complicated, at some point during my shift, he asked me to move this printer [a similar one I mentioned earlier] to another location.

I don't think you need me to tell you what a bad idea it is to get only one person to move this highly expensive and heavy printer to another part of the warehouse. So as soon as I start carefully moving the printer to the desired location, one of the bottom screws from the printer suddenly came off, causing the printer to tilt and fall.

It was like a bomb went off when the printer fell to the ground. There was glass and ink everywhere! I thought for sure I would get fired. I cleaned up as much as I could but the damage was done -- this printer was busted!:ohmy

My manager didn't talk to me all day. As soon as it was time for lunch, a co-worker of mine kept claiming that I threw it to the ground rather than dropping it by accident. He later explained to me there was a good chance I would work there for free for at least more than a year because of just how pricey it is. I asked him how much it costed and he replied, "$30,000".:unsure

The good news is that they didn't take anything off of my paycheck.:laugh

Great to hear they didn't charge you :laugh Turned out to be a good guy after all.

• Like 1