2018 February - SJ's Four For Feb: The Anthony Clarino Invitational - Adam Juncker

Adam Juncker

The Trip: Friday 2/23/18

13.5 hours of interstate travel.  It was mind-numbing and repetitive, much like day time television.  But it was worth it. 

The Competition: Saturday 2/24/18

My wife and I left our hotel and arrived at the Brous Estate.  We were greeted enthusiastically by Anton at the door.  Although I knew Anton from the Grip Board, you never really know people on the internet until you meet them.  Anton is, how should I say, a lot of fun to be around.  As I would find out, he is like Shakespeare with the F-word: I actually had to Google some of the ways he used the word and I learned quite a bit about it (I had no idea it could be used as an adjectival verb(lol)).  

I had the pleasure of speaking to Aaron before the comp.  I've been wanting to speak to him for quite a while but have not had the chance.  We share interests and talked shop for a bit.  Hopefully I can make it out to another comp he is at.  

Weigh-in: I ate Chic-fil-a on the way, so I didn't make the 84k class.  Oh well.

Grippers:  I was gunning for a 150. 1st attempt was a 142 CoC3.  I had a lousy set then fought with the block.  No good.  2nd attempt was the 142 CoC3, the set was perfect and got a very solid close.  3rd attempt was a 150 GHP7 - miss, Chez says by about 1/4" of and inch but I was thinking more like 15/64".  4th attempt was more conservative at 144 for a good close.  Should have tried the 146.  

IM Hub:  I don't remember my 1st and 2nd attempts, but they were solid.  On my 3rd attempt I went for 32K and got it.  So being a genius, I attempted 35k or 37k for my 4th (cant remember), for a no-lift.  

Blockbuster: It's pretty sad when you can hub more than you can pinch, but my pinch is lousy.  I got 30k on my 3rd attempt and tried 32k on the 4th for a no-lift.  Once again, should have tried 31k.    

LBH:  My anvil prepared me pretty well for this.  It is 96.8# and it tapers from about 5" wide to a point, and the horn is only about 5" long.  I keep meaning to bring this thing to a comp but that's another story.  Anyway.  I don't remember my 1st and 2nd attempts, but the 3rd attempt was 70k.  Tried 72k on the 4th for no-lift.  

All things considered, I am very happy with my results.  Especially considering that really the only reason I came to the comp was hang out with gripsters and arm wrestle Delmar.  

I would like to do a short profile of John McCarter and Juliet Avila - both provided excellent performances.  

Juliet:  I do not know her athletic history or how much training she did to prepare for this comp, but it doesn't matter.  She dominated each lift.  You could see the determination on her face, and I heard her several times speak as though she were ready to call-out Elizabeth Horne for a show-down.   I hope to see Juliet in future comps, and I am not kidding when I say that women and men need to watch out for her.  

John:  I would love to see a Dateline special on this guy: Grip Madness: Inside the Mind of a Modern-Day Grip Madman.  In all seriousness, John's methods seem crazy, and his training routines are unorthodox, but could any argue with his results?  When you ask John to describe how he trains, he uses words and phrases that sound more like a Viking going into battle that a man training his hands.  His passion and intensity are enviable and indeed quite contagious.  Yet his intensity is not displayed in anger or yelling, but in quiet and focus.  You could hear a pin drop as John approached the lift, drove his index and middle fingers into his forehead, gripped the implement, and made the impossible happen.  

After the Comp:

The bending comp was fun, and I'm glad I participated.  The 60d's were folding like wet noodles and I opened the comp with 10 in 2 minutes.  

Quite a few people left immediately after the comp, those that remained engaged in some random challenges.  Stupid human tricks from the pull-up bar and other randomness.  Good times.  Delmar and I were banking on Steve Nichols bringing an AW Table, but it was just not to be.  We cobbled a table together with a hard rubber mat.  Needless to say, it was not the best scenario but I left knowing that I have absolutely nothing for Delmar.  I think I can fight him for a minute if I can stay outside but his paws make it very difficult to stay out of the hook.  

I'd like to thank @1stCoC for the lunch:  It was delicious, thoughtful, and provided all the gluten I could ever want.  And of course I need to thank Nate and Maureen for hosting the event.  If you are on the fence about competing and especially traveling for a comp, you need to make it to Nate's comps.  Seriously, they are bad-to-the-bone and raise the bar every time. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nice report!  Thanks for taking the time man.

I keep referencing Adam "rip your thumb off" Junker in many different ways.  While there is an element of humor here, Adam "break your hand" Juncker surprised me on the implements and shocked me when he grabbed my hand on a arm wrestling match.  He's definitely a sleeper car...and was kind enough to let me out of a precarious hand/arm position on our makeshift table.  Great to meet you and the wifey Adam!  

Side Note:  For those who don't know...I half jokingly called it the "Clarino Invitation" because he was incredibly helpful at SJ's King Kong.  I literally had him pick the date for this comp to make sure he could come.  I also wanted him to do ZERO loading, because he pretty much ran KK for me. 

• Like 2

It was wonderful to meet you officially Adam. Competing with you and the other grippers was amazing.  As a newbie, I was nervous coming into the comp, but everyone was so supportive and made me feel welcome and at ease.  I truly am grateful for all the wonderful things you said about me.  When Nate introduced me to gripping, I was instantly hooked.  The first time I tried it, he put the flask down in front of me and told me to lift it, so I did.  Then I stood there and watched him nearly fall on the floor.  Apparently, I'd broken the NAGS record the first time I'd tried it. :)   I've always been competitive in sports and lifting that flask brought back all those feelings  that I used to have when I threw shot and swam.  (Not at the same time of course!) Lol.  Anyway, you did amazing at the competition, and it was fun hanging out and watching you arm wrestle afterwards.  See you next time.  

• Like 2

It was great competing with you Adam. Thanks again for the hammer. Its really awesome. 

• Like 1

Shakespeare with the f-word! Adjectival verb! Hahaha! Adam it was such a great time hanging out with you for the bending, arm wrestling, and post-comp after party - you are crazy strong - I remember among those "stupid human tricks" you giving a definitive crush down to that huge 3/4" piece of steel we were wailing on - you probably didn't mention it cuz i do sincerely assume you do that all the time - and then you doing pull ups off a pair of 2.5 crushers and then a hub and a crusher after practically ripping our arms off in sequence during a last man standing arm wrestling bout - they just don't make people that strong where I'm from! haha - I'm glad you made the trip and look forward to running into you again at a comp! And once again, those warhammers are awesome!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anton.Torrella said:

- I remember among those "stupid human tricks" you giving a definitive crush down to that huge 3/4" piece of steel we were wailing on - you probably didn't mention it cuz i do sincerely assume you do that all the time

Thanks for the kind words, but I have never braced bent anything. I'm picking up some steel today though.  

1 hour ago, Chez said:

It was great competing with you Adam. Thanks again for the hammer. Its really awesome. 

Don't thank me, thank Nate. He put on the comp. 

19 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

Thanks for the kind words, but I have never braced bent anything. I'm picking up some steel today though.  

That was your first time braced bending?!? Oh you definitely gotta start training it then man - that was an epic first piece to cut your teeth on - I'm lookin forward to hearing how you do on the pieces you pick up

• Thanks 1