2018 February - South Jersey's Four-for-February -Delmar Carter

acromegaman

Spoiler

If the unofficial motto for SJ4 was "His pinch is crazy" then SJ4 for February's has to be "America! F$#% yeah!" because this years winner comes from smack dab right in the middle of it. 

Let me start off by saying, although I am ecstatic and truly grateful that I had the opportunity to make it out to this contest, I was not prepared for it in the least. My mind was in a difference place and I am pretty sure that I seemed distracted at times, and for that I am sorry. Back to the trip report! 

Upon my arrival to the airport, I received a text from Nate stating that he and Aaron were already there waiting for me and John (Mr. America! F$#% yeah!) I walked outside where you could easily see your breathe so I could travel a few gates down to where they were waiting and what do I see? Two dudes wearing shorts in the cold  and wet Philly weather. I believe my first words to them were, "You guys are crazy!" After that we met up with the Beast (F%$# yeah!) and took off towards Nate's beautiful home (and killer basement).

When we got to Nate's, his awesome family was there and they were just as inviting as they were last July at SJ4. "Make yourselves at home", Nate said, and knowing that he meant it, I did just that. Later that night, the four of us went to an awesome "diner" called the Adelphia. This was much more than any diner I've been in, and I would like to eat there again at the next comp ;) That food was good! Plus, we were all in good company. After eating, we went back to the house and farted around in Nate's grip dungeon until Chez showed up. We had to hide all of the bread because he has some kind of fetish or something, but a little while later everyone went to sleep.... well kind of.

Aaron and I shared a room, but just to be clear we had different beds. We both tend to snore a little bit too, and it's really hard to fall asleep while someone else is buzz-sawing through a tree. So, I think we played snore tag all night. I would snore and then wake up and then he would fall asleep and start snoring and we just switched out. I never confirmed if this was the case, but I know we both didn't get any sleep.

Game-Day!

The gripsters started rolling in early Saturday morning and there are too many names to mention, but it was awesome seeing all of them. Some warmups started with whiskey and others weights, but ultimately we all were warmed up and ready to rock! First event was grippers and as usual, I sucked. I got on the board and that was all that mattered to begin with, but my next 2 or 3 attempts were on a gripper that I should have gotten no problem. That was a little frustrating at first, but I got over it. Chez was the top guy in this event and it's unreal how he can squeeze a number out 2 times bigger than mine. It's crazy!

The next event was the hub, and as you have already read in the results section, several records were broken. It was awesome being present and judging that. John and Juliet are both awesome people with world class strength! The really cool thing is that Juliet is still a newbie to grip, so there are still some quick gains to be made. 

After the hub, came the blockbuster pinch and that sucker is an awkward width. I'm still not sure if I like it not, but some pretty good numbers were pulled on that implement.

The frustrating Little a-hole Bighorn was next, and this event I did not like. I did have fun doing math and loading weights with Frank Deluca (without a hat) though. John really stuck out to me during this event. His first attempt was a little shaky, but he got it. Every new attempt he made, there was weight added and he seemed to make it look easier. His last attempt he said, "Throw 5 kilos on there." 

I thought, "Holy shirt!", but we threw it on there and he America'd it up there! Unreal strength!

After that we all attacked the subs and drinks that @1stCoC so graciously provided. That was an awesome gesture and we all really appreciate it. Especially at that moment because we were hungry! Those sandwiches really hit the spot :)

After the awards and many, many, many prizes were given out, and then the bending commenced.

We did a last second rule alteration and I for one am glad that we reduced the time from 3 minutes to 2 minutes, because that was pure cardio for me. That bending sprint gave me a runners cramp that you would not believe! I honestly felt like I was going to throw up for over an hour and every move I made afterwards that involved any effort only intensified it. I didn't feel confident about it beforehand and I almost sat out, but I realized that if I didn't do it, I would later regret it. Don't get me wrong, because I had an absolute blast doing it, but it dammit it hurt! Lol. I scored a 43.

Lot's of people have left by this time, and there were still a handful of us left to do some challenges and drink Nate's whiskey. Nate broke out Lucas Raymond's Inch Pinch block and attached 40lbs to it. We then all took turns lifting and holding it for time while Anton made fun of us and made us laugh. I have to tell you, it was not easy holding on to that block while Anton was telling his stories. That guy has some kind of magical comedic appeal that makes you want to be his friend and laugh all damn day, every day. That is a cool dude :) No homo. Nevertheless, I farmers walked to the other side of the room (like that would help) and held that SOB for 44 seconds. 

After that we sat around tinkering with many of Nate's grip tools, and all of a sudden, a damn 3/4" x 48" hot rolled bar showed up with the ends wrapped up. I still don't know where that thing came from, but it peaked a lot of interest in the room. There were either 5 or 6 six of us exhausted zombies tag teaming that bar until it gave in and took on a "U" shape. It is now a memory for Nate, and is hanging on his wall. 

Adam Junkner and I wanted to arm wrestle so we made it happen. Even though, it was probably on the most sketchy impromptu table imaginable. It was way to tall, it was shaky, it had a rubber top which rubbed our elbows raw, but we didn't care because we just wanted to arm wrestle. So we did, and several other joined in. I really enjoyed it, and even more when others showed interest, because most people run away from arm wrestling. These awesome guys flocked toward it. 

Soon, Mr. Cottrell showed up, and I thanked him for saving me money on an online purchase, but not for purchasing, cutting, and shipping those blobs. Huge thank you to both Rich and Nate for that. You guys are really an asset to our community and that comes from the heart (a slight bit of homo in that ;)  Not!) After we all chatted for a while and the only bodily function that I could perform was smile, I hit the hay. 

You guessed it, dueling buzz-saws again, but this time Aaron kicked my ass! I woke up and went down stairs after a while and found a couch. You may have won the battle @acorn, but not the war ;)

He ended up waking me up later to let me know that I needed to leave soon to go to the airport. Nate, John and I left the house after saying our goodbyes to every person that was awake, me and John got WAWA'd on the way to the airport (thanks Nate) and they were nice enough to stop the car so I could get out.

All-in-all I had a fantastic time, and like I said above, I really appreciate the opportunity that came up for me to come out and hang with some fantastically strong, Class A people. @anwnate Thank you so much for taking me in and making me feel like I was part of the family. You're family is the absolute best! Yes, I mean Brooklyn too :) 

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

Great write up Delmar. Sounds like everyone had a blast 

• Like 1

How to get water on the elbow in 2 easy steps:

1. Cobble together an arm wrestling table from stuff in Nate's basement - Hint - the table must have a hard surface.

2. Arm wrestle Delmar on that table.

And there you have it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Haha.  Loved the report man.  I hate that you live so far away, but perhaps that made an incredible weekend even better!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was a great time Delmar.  So nice to see you again.  Your nail bending was super impressive!!! Thank you so much for the mention.  I truly love being a part of this awesome sport and being able to compete with all of you guys.  Everyone is so supportive.  Makes a newbie like me feel like a part of the group. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was such a great time hanging out and competing again Delmar and thank you for the compliment! My fellow New Jersey bending champion! Haha - great write up and I do remember you just walking away with the inch pinch while I was yelling and laughing - screw you guys, I'm going home - I also remember you putting the final touches on U-ing that 3/4" demon steel - Brutal! Another good one was Rich Cottrell showing us those steel punched nails he brought and you just casually folded one up like origami while we were talking - me and Rich were still talking about it the next morning - great time and can't wait to get together again!

• Like 2

It was awesome competing with you dude. Hope we get a chance to do it again in the future. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 1:41 AM, Boulderbrew said:

Great write up Delmar. Sounds like everyone had a blast 

I guarantee they did :)

On 2/27/2018 at 2:45 AM, Adam Juncker said:

How to get water on the elbow in 2 easy steps:

1. Cobble together an arm wrestling table from stuff in Nate's basement - Hint - the table must have a hard surface.

2. Arm wrestle Delmar on that table.

And there you have it!

Lol! Next time we'll be a little more prepared ;)

On 2/27/2018 at 6:49 AM, anwnate said:

Haha.  Loved the report man.  I hate that you live so far away, but perhaps that made an incredible weekend even better!

It was great Nate! You guys know how to make a person feel at home and comfortable, even if we do terrible at comp time ;)

On 2/27/2018 at 7:51 AM, Juliet said:

It was a great time Delmar.  So nice to see you again.  Your nail bending was super impressive!!! Thank you so much for the mention.  I truly love being a part of this awesome sport and being able to compete with all of you guys.  Everyone is so supportive.  Makes a newbie like me feel like a part of the group. 

It was great seeing you again as well! I look forward to seeing what other records you will break.

22 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

It was such a great time hanging out and competing again Delmar and thank you for the compliment! My fellow New Jersey bending champion! Haha - great write up and I do remember you just walking away with the inch pinch while I was yelling and laughing - screw you guys, I'm going home - I also remember you putting the final touches on U-ing that 3/4" demon steel - Brutal! Another good one was Rich Cottrell showing us those steel punched nails he brought and you just casually folded one up like origami while we were talking - me and Rich were still talking about it the next morning - great time and can't wait to get together again!

Haha! Aaron actually finished off that bastard, but it was awesome seeing you guys again Anton!

22 hours ago, Chez said:

It was awesome competing with you dude. Hope we get a chance to do it again in the future. 

Hopefully I can make it competitive next time Chez. Lol. Well, except for the gripper portion.

• Like 4

Ah! Aaron finished it off! Sorry my memory apparently got hazy for that big bar - I guess that bar knocked out my brain cells associated with memory - you still gave it a sound beating none the less

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Ah! Aaron finished it off! Sorry my memory apparently got hazy for that big bar - I guess that bar knocked out my brain cells associated with memory - you still gave it a sound beating none the less

Yeah, and it beat me too. I've got the marks to prove it. Lol

• Like 2

Haha me too - hurts to put my hands in my pockets

• Like 2

16 hours ago, acromegaman said:

Yeah, and it beat me too. I've got the marks to prove it. Lol

2 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Haha me too - hurts to put my hands in my pockets

Haha, my abs and ribs were sore for a few days from the sweep on that beast. Toughest 3/4 I've ever seen by far.

• Like 3