The best way to train the thumb for closing grippers

jackhammer922

I remember reading here about hand growth as well. I posted in a topic not long ago here @Tommy J. read it and check my post on the 3rd page. I got noticeably thicker hands but that's it. Nothing wow. When Jedd was here last time he said I have some (don't remember the name) muscle on top of my hands. I remember Heath saying (Heath correct me if I am wrong) that his wedding ring doesn't fit him. Also, Jedd and others here says their hands got thicker. Maybe Tommy it's genetics, or simply you labored so hard that your hands thickness is at it's max. Dunno anything is possible.

Edit: It can also be weight gain, Iron Hands training and so on. Anything can be the reason. IronHands it does thicken the hands so much especially the bones. In the topic of mine I think I posted Iron Hands guys practitioner.

Edited by Alawadhi

Iam 100% certain truth is a bitch

My brother and I when I was 20 years old- 215lbs

Brothers.jpg.52a4336e6cb84ed8a5abe259b98d7e86.jpgBrothers.jpg.52a4336e6cb84ed8a5abe259b98d7e86.jpg

Guys, I think we are losing focus here. We can all have our 2 cents and differences of opinions and still remain civil towards each other. We all LOVE Grip I assume since we are all here.... I’m all for contrasting opinions... we are all here, for  me at least, for fun talking to others in a hobby that almost ZERO PEOPLE care about, and secondly to get as good at said strength discipline because I do LOVE IT. We are all brothers in grip. We can disagree... but at the end of the day let’s all be men and not let it affect us or make us go to bed angry! Because we all know....no one should go to bed angry.... unless you have a GRIPPER under your pillow to crank out some REPS ON! Much respect to everyone and there opinions. We all got them!

3 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Hmm. How telling. Where are all the girls at? Lmao

Tommy, HMM how telling - who the fuc& goes by Tommy at age 32?  LMAO Redneck

The keyboard bully Tommy Jennings, Junior He knows everything and if you disagree with his point of view you are immediately...

Like this post if you want one of the moderators to go through this thread and delete all the childlike posts that recently sidetracked what was otherwise a meaningful thread.
Personal attacks should not be acceptable, or did I mis something?

I would hate to see this thread get locked...

1 minute ago, richcottrell said:

Like this post if you want one of the moderators to go through this thread and delete all the childlike posts that recently sidetracked what was otherwise a meaningful thread.
Personal attacks should not be acceptable, or did I mis something?

I would hate to see this thread get locked...

Plus one on that. 

6 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I mean im not here to judge and all... but the cat is out of the bag now. 😆

Kiddo, best of luck with your smart mouth. Have a nice day

1 minute ago, Tommy J. said:

I think most that have met me personally dont get offended. The posts look rough, but when i say the same stuff in person nobody really gets upset.

Yes in person people listen to people, hear them, hear the tone, face expression and so on. It's way different here on the internet where there are no emotions in the writing. But I think what upsets people sometimes is saying something like "Hey I am stronger than you then it means I am right and you are wrong". Who knows. Anyway, chill guys and we are brothers in grip like what Joseph said already. All should be cool.

1 minute ago, Tommy J. said:

I think most that have met me personally dont get offended. The posts look rough, but when i say the same stuff in person nobody really gets upset.

Internet has that effect.

9 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Internet has that effect.

Yes it does Kapster.... we had that happen to us not too long ago. But we spoke like men and now it’s water under the proverbial bridge.

Back to the topic. I made this video. It was quite hard to just move the thumb without the fingers but it happened in the end. Anyone will know what do I mean by saying it'll help the close at the end.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Back to the topic. I made this video. It was quite hard to just move the thumb without the fingers but it happened in the end. Anyone will know what do I mean by saying it'll help the close at the end.

Your thumb is gigantic Bader!

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Your thumb is gigantic Bader!

Training helps. TTK what helped me here the most. I think. But last time you and Cannon said about the Pony Clamps it's the same effect and and play with any angle I loved the idea. Yes it is same and you can move your hands in any angle which is great!. Will try it instead of a TTK sometimes. Will mix them up to get the best benefits. 

Edit: All the pinch/blob work didn't hurt I assume :D 

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Training helps. TTK what helped me here the most. I think. But last time you and Cannon said about the Pony Clamps it's the same effect and and play with any angle I loved the idea. Yes it is same and you can move your hands in any angle which is great!. Will try it instead of a TTK sometimes. Will mix them up to get the best benefits. 

Edit: All the pinch/blob work didn't hurt I assume :D 

The great thing about the pony clamps is how portable they are and so easy to use just waiting around for my wife while I’m waiting in the car....  I superset them with rubber band extension. I traded my TTK because I didn’t use it much and found better ways with the clamps and the pipe on the ends of grippers 

I do not think --nor personally feel-- it is fully accurate to say Joe Kinney was the first person to promote “building up” the thumb.  Here are my two reasons for saying this.

1) In early 2013, I got my first Tetting Grippers. 
This was back when you could still buy them directly from Warren Tetting.  Back then, while he did have a simple web site, you would order the old fashioned way.  You would call him on the phone and he would talk to you about your training, and make little recommendations.  Somewhere I have some loose notes I took that day.

From my memory, I would like to bring this to the discussion…
In 2013, Warren was still “old school” in the way he ran his business.  You would mail him a Postal Money Order before he mailed the grippers.
I decided to buy 4 grippers and over the phone he helped me pick out appropriate strengths based of the three CoC grippers I already owned. 

He also told me something to the affect of: “If you really want to close the big ones, you need to train the thumb to build up the thumb”.  He then told me about his telegraph style machine which was pictured on his web site, but I forget what it was called at the time.
He told me, because I was already ordering 4 of his grippers, he would sell me one of his telegraph machines for $40 shipped.
That was an amazing price considering the Iron-Mind version would cost me over $100 shipped at the time.
I really did not want the thing, but I trusted Warren as he was the guy who basically invented the modern heavy grippers…  So I bought one. 
If you followed my CinePinch thread you will see where that purchase got me.

2) Go Reference  David Horne’s Gripopedia.  Volume 9,  Page 465.
After he talks about his thumbscrews he writes:

Origins and history
Iron Man – Grip Developer Machine
The first instance of a thumb training machine that is similar in style to the Thumbscrews was the Iron Man Grip Developer Machine build by Warren Tetting, and sold through the Iron Man magazine.  The first advertisement for this is in the July, 1975 (Vol. 34, No. 5) issue of the Iron Man magazine.”

There are many way better educated people on the history of grip, but just from these two things I can deduct this:
Whoever said it was Kinney who promoted Thumb size, fails to consider there were many years between 1975 and the 1998 Kinney #4 cert. or his 1997 #3 cert.
 It was not a Kinney idea.  While he might have promoted it, the idea of thumb training predated him.

According to David Horne’s Gripopedia, IronMind first started selling their TTK in 1991, so even in the world of IronMind, the TTK was sold well before Kinney showed up 

Maybe someone with Kinney “Get a Grip” DVD can tell me what year he says he bought his first CoC grippers?

anyway,
My personal take-a-way:
Not trying to start an argument, but Warren Tetting --the guy who invented what became the TTK-- told me personally... That style machine would help me build up my thumb to close the bigger grippers [which he also was the first to truly manufacture].  In my memory, that was his only way he plugged the reason for owning his Telegraph device -- To build the thumb, to close the big grippers.

I think the only debate or question in my mind, was it thumb strength or thumb pad size that Warren was talking about.?
At the time of my purchase (and way before this thread became an argument), I thought it was a little of both!

Now lest get Chez and some real gripper mutants to talk about what they think about SIZE, as that was the original intent of this thread, once again from my point of view.

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, richcottrell said:

I do not think --nor personally feel-- it is fully accurate to say Joe Kinney was the first person to promote “building up” the thumb.  Here are my two reasons for saying this.

1) In early 2013, I got my first Tetting Grippers. 
This was back when you could still buy them directly from Warren Tetting.  Back then, while he did have a simple web site, you would order the old fashioned way.  You would call him on the phone and he would talk to you about your training, and make little recommendations.  Somewhere I have some loose notes I took that day.

From my memory, I would like to bring this to the discussion…
In 2013, Warren was still “old school” in the way he ran his business.  You would mail him a Postal Money Order before he mailed the grippers.
I decided to buy 4 grippers and over the phone he helped me pick out appropriate strengths based of the three CoC grippers I already owned. 

He also told me something to the affect of: “If you really want to close the big ones, you need to train the thumb to build up the thumb”.  He then told me about his telegraph style machine which was pictured on his web site, but I forget what it was called at the time.
He told me, because I was already ordering 4 of his grippers, he would sell me one of his telegraph machines for $40 shipped.
That was an amazing price considering the Iron-Mind version would cost me over $100 shipped at the time.
I really did not want the thing, but I trusted Warren as he was the guy who basically invented the modern heavy grippers…  So I bought one. 
If you followed my CinePinch thread you will see where that purchase got me.

2) Go Reference  David Horne’s Gripopedia.  Volume 9,  Page 465.
After he talks about his thumbscrews he writes:

Origins and history
Iron Man – Grip Developer Machine
The first instance of a thumb training machine that is similar in style to the Thumbscrews was the Iron Man Grip Developer Machine build by Warren Tetting, and sold through the Iron Man magazine.  The first advertisement for this is in the July, 1975 (Vol. 34, No. 5) issue of the Iron Man magazine.”

There are many way better educated people on the history of grip, but just from these two things I can deduct this:
Whoever said it was Kinney who promoted Thumb size, fails to consider there were many years between 1975 and the 1998 Kinney #4 cert. or his 1997 #3 cert.
 It was not a Kinney idea.  While he might have promoted it, the idea of thumb training predated him.

According to David Horne’s Gripopedia, IronMind first started selling their TTK in 1991, so even in the world of IronMind, the TTK was sold well before Kinney showed up 

Maybe someone with Kinney “Get a Grip” DVD can tell me what year he says he bought his first CoC grippers?

anyway,
My personal take-a-way:
Not trying to start an argument, but Warren Tetting --the guy who invented what became the TTK-- told me personally... That style machine would help me build up my thumb to close the bigger grippers [which he also was the first to truly manufacture].  In my memory, that was his only way he plugged the reason for owning his Telegraph device -- To build the thumb, to close the big grippers.

I think the only debate or question in my mind, was it thumb strength or thumb pad size that Warren was talking about.?
At the time of my purchase (and way before this thread became an argument), I thought it was a little of both!

Now lest get Chez and some real gripper mutants to talk about what they think about SIZE, as that was the original intent of this thread, once again from my point of view.

Nice history for people to read. Yes Kinney didn't invent it but promote him. People might think IronMind did the first heavy duty grippers but in reality it was Warren Tetting. Like Columbus "discovering" America's but in reality people went before him and heck there were already people living there. I don't want @Chez to answer because that's a cheat. He closed a 2.5 his first try so I will only take opinion of people who were average/weak and trained hard to top levels. For all those who didn't understand that, it's a joke, being sarcastic. Of course Chez opinion as a #4 closer is something to listen to.

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

For all those who didn't understand that, it's a joke, being sarcastic. Of course Chez opinion as a #4 closer is something to listen to.

Funny. I have been lurking on the thread while at work and skimming the conversation. I'll read through it tonight in detail and let you guys know my thoughts. I am big gripper nerd after all.

but real quick, If you read my log I started by only training grippers (in addition to my weight lifting routine which I didn't log when I started the log) but my crush really took off when I incorporated other aspects of grip such as pinch and wrist training. Thick bar on the other hand is really hard to balance with grippers and I still struggle with it to this day but I have gotten better with the balance. I'll give more detail tonight when I have more time. Just wanted to give a quick response now.    

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Funny. I have been lurking on the thread while at work and skimming the conversation. I'll read through it tonight in detail and let you guys know my thoughts. I am big gripper nerd after all.

but real quick, If you read my log I started by only training grippers (in addition to my weight lifting routine which I didn't log to when I started the log) but my crush really took when I incorporated other aspects of grip such as pinch and wrist training. Thick bar on the other hand is really hard to balance with grippers and I still struggle with it to this day but I have gotten better with the balance. I'll give more detail tonight when I have more time. Just wanted to give a quick response now.    

I’ve found that one heavy duty session per week is the best way to incorporate it without affecting thick bar. I only see a problem with thick bar if I try to do that in the same day as a gripper. That’s why I work sledge/wrist on gripper day. I can also throw in some pinch with little issue on the same day as grippers.

5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I’ve found that one heavy duty session per week is the best way to incorporate it without affecting thick bar. I only see a problem with thick bar if I try to do that in the same day as a gripper. That’s why I work sledge/wrist on gripper day. I can also throw in some pinch with little issue on the same day as grippers.

My routine has changed over the years. As my gripper sessions have gotten more intense and I use bigger grippers, I have needed more rest between sessions. I now only train grippers once every two weeks for each hand and I rotate the hands. so one week, left crush, next week right crush etc. Pinch is no problem with grippers and in fact I purposely put pinch the day before my right hand gripper session because I feel it primes my crush and gives me the best crush sessions if I do it the day before. I put thick bar as far apart from my right hand crush as possible.   

Edited by Chez
  • Thanks 1

To give an example of how I have increased my rest for grippers over time I started by hitting grippers twice a week, then it moved to once a week, then it moved to once every 10 days and now its once every two weeks. I am constantly evaluating my routine and progress to see if changes are needed. If i'm on a roll, I don't change a thing.