Other training in addition to KTA

Gatsby

I know KTA states that KTA can be your only grip training work otherwise it will fail but I'm an MMA fighter so is that going to mess with the program with all the gripping  being done in BJJ? Is there anyway I would have to alter the program to suit my needs? And also how about powerlifting? I'm currently doing 5/3/1. Should I just skip deadlift day?

1 minute ago, Gatsby said:

Should I just skip deadlift day?

@Wannagrip would be the person to ask about altering the program in general since he created the program. If you wanted to do deadlifts and save your grip for your grip specific training, you could use straps on deadlifts. Its not a big deal using them if you don't plan on doing a powerlifting meet (not allowed there).

It seems very risky to do something like KTA while you're training MMA to be honest. High potential for injuries. When I did RRBT, which is tough but not nearly as tough as KTA I actually slipped and injured my wrist. You will be falling all the time if you train MMA. When you're pushing your hands to the limit they will be much more vulnerable. Keep that in mind. Also, doing specialized training with grippers will have very limited carry-over to you sport.

You can of course do KTA but reduce the volume. Although you would not be doing the real program. But I think the method is usable even with low volume.

Normal strength training like squats and deads really amps the body for grip IMO.  I always had my best grip workouts (even KTA) by doing grip FOLLOWING these. Do not do a hard KTA workout right before regular training.  

I would cut it back if you are also doing the MMA and be very careful.  Maybe experiment and cut it in half as a swag.

21 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Also, doing specialized training with grippers will have very limited carry-over to you sport.

?

One of my greatest strengths in MMA is my strong grip. It's an unbelievable help when you're grappling.

4 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Normal strength training like squats and deads really amps the body for grip IMO.  I always had my best grip workouts (even KTA) by doing grip FOLLOWING these. Do not do a hard KTA workout right before regular training.  

I would cut it back if you are also doing the MMA and be very careful.  Maybe experiment and cut it in half as a swag.

Well, I'm actually nursing an unrelated injury right now which is why I started using grippers while I recover. And I figure I should try to close the highest gripper I can while I'm not training. But I also want to know how to maintain my grip strength while training MMA. Doing a low intensity program so that I still am able to close the grippers and I don't lose any of my strength.

Interesting that doing deadlifts doesn't mess up the KTA program because in the program it specifically says not to do any other grip exercises. Should I use straps like Chez suggested?

Also besides grippers, is there any other grip work that would carry over to MMA? I want to have a strong gable grip and s grip. I think the grippers would help with the gable grip but what about the s grip? What would be a good workout to work on my s grip? To the people not in the MMA/submission wrestling scene here is a demonstration of these grips.

https://www.bjjheroes.com/techniques/most-common-hand-grips-in-jiu-jitsu

I would say strong wrists and support grip are most important.

52 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

?

One of my greatest strengths in MMA is my strong grip. It's an unbelievable help when you're grappling.

Well, I'm actually nursing an unrelated injury right now which is why I started using grippers while I recover. And I figure I should try to close the highest gripper I can while I'm not training. But I also want to know how to maintain my grip strength while training MMA. Doing a low intensity program so that I still am able to close the grippers and I don't lose any of my strength.

Interesting that doing deadlifts doesn't mess up the KTA program because in the program it specifically says not to do any other grip exercises. Should I use straps like Chez suggested?

Also besides grippers, is there any other grip work that would carry over to MMA? I want to have a strong gable grip and s grip. I think the grippers would help with the gable grip but what about the s grip? What would be a good workout to work on my s grip? To the people not in the MMA/submission wrestling scene here is a demonstration of these grips.

https://www.bjjheroes.com/techniques/most-common-hand-grips-in-jiu-jitsu

Grippers trains your grip very specific and it will have some carry-over to everything grip related but it will be very limited for MMA. There's much better grip exercises you can do for MMA. Sure use grippers but please realize that KTA is intended to get better at grippers.

25 minutes ago, Jörg Keilbach said:

^This.

• Like 1

Dumbbell and axle hand to hand tosses.

The deadlift is not a direct grip exercise unless you are doing holds.  The deadlift is a back/full body exercise. :)  

Holds for grip...no then. But, deads for back development for sure you don't stop doing them.

2 hours ago, Jörg Keilbach said:

Well I was doing heavy kettlebell swings and rock climbing for grip strength before I bought the grippers but I stopped doing them when I started using the grippers. And I'm also about to  buy the sidewinder. I'm thinking when I go back to training I could use a combination of all three of them at low reps after MMA training.

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Grippers trains your grip very specific and it will have some carry-over to everything grip related but it will be very limited for MMA. There's much better grip exercises you can do for MMA. Sure use grippers but please realize that KTA is intended to get better at grippers.

So grippers have no practical use in real world applications at all? They're only useful for closing grippers? They wouldn't help with an arm drag? I was thinking they would help keeping an opponent's wrist isolated for a kimura attempt but  guess that would fall under support grip. Or would it be a combination of crushing grip as well as support grip. Or the double grip when passing guard, crushing grip would not help with any of that?

1 hour ago, Wannagrip said:

The deadlift is not a direct grip exercise unless you are doing holds.  The deadlift is a back/full body exercise. :)  

Holds for grip...no then. But, deads for back development for sure you don't stop doing them.

Thanks for the advice! Back to deadlifting it is then.

You don’t need a Sidewinder. Do Wrist Curls, Reverse Wrist Curls and  leavering in all  directions. You can use a loadable dumbbell for this. 

6 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Well I was doing heavy kettlebell swings and rock climbing for grip strength before I bought the grippers but I stopped doing them when I started using the grippers. And I'm also about to  buy the sidewinder. I'm thinking when I go back to training I could use a combination of all three of them at low reps after MMA training.

So grippers have no practical use in real world applications at all? They're only useful for closing grippers? They wouldn't help with an arm drag? I was thinking they would help keeping an opponent's wrist isolated for a kimura attempt but  guess that would fall under support grip. Or would it be a combination of crushing grip as well as support grip. Or the double grip when passing guard, crushing grip would not help with any of that?

Thanks for the advice! Back to deadlifting it is then.

As I wrote grippers have some carry-over to other stuff but it's limited. It does not have much carry-over to MMA, not as much as you'd want to by training like Joe Kinney did.

Also, closing more than a #3 is not necessary for any sport. Except for grip sport. Some other athletes can be strong with grippers, like armwrestlers, powerlifters, strongmen etc. They are usually strong with grippers because the way they have trained has made their hands strong.

I would say that training open hand strength, pinch, all type of widths. Thick bar (such as Rolling Thunder and Axle) will be much better for you if you want to do MMA at the same time. You can of course incorporate some gripper work as well. But doing KTA while you're doing combat sports and powerlifting all at the same time is asking for trouble. KTA is no joke.