Grip strength of average gym rat

18 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Mechanics, construction workers and farmers do a lot of crush type activities with turning wrenches and manipulating objects. 

Id add martial artist such as BJJ and judo. Or ones  that require alot of grabbing cloth.  

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yea man....for sure... and then the progress doesn’t blast that fast afterwards from being on a stronger level to begin with. 

For me, progress on grippers was fast. I’m in the high 190s now trying to break 200 this year after coming back from an injury. The injury almost made me quit but I decided to come back stronger than ever instead 

Edited by Chez

3 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

careful though having a natural niche at anything strength related.. others who dont possess a similar natural talent are quick to throw around the term "PHD's"

I just assume a non human lineage. 

2 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Very cool! Stay working that crush! Im a firm believer in pushing someone further at something they are already good at. I say work that a ton! And you will go on to be a #4 closer!

careful though having a natural niche at anything strength related.. others who dont possess a similar natural talent are quick to throw around the term "PHD's"

lol, when those of us with some form of natural ability know better than that.

Dude I would piss in a cup for anyone right in front of them at any time as long as they pay for he test! I take that as the highest form of compliment. If anyone knows me they know how much I HATE drugs of any kind. I am proud to be drug free. I do however have great strength genetics.

7 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Very cool! Stay working that crush! Im a firm believer in pushing someone further at something they are already good at. I say work that a ton! And you will go on to be a #4 closer!

lol, when those of us with some form of natural ability know better than that.

To top that off Tommy I actually have low testosterone! The doctors cannot explain it. How I am so big and strong. Go figure! Would love to know how I can be if I was at normal levels! Haha

6 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

While i have never had any staggering gym lifts, i certainly have some good genetics as well. So i feel your frustration. I will be borderline holding my breath waiting for someone to say it to me my first time i actually lift some weights for more than 2 months straight in my life. I have seen most of the males, and even some of the women in my family accused of being on roids at different times in my life. And they all agree that its a compliment. Not only is it a compliment, but it also shows how simple minded many people are.

that said, im not a total hater of drug use. I actually could care less. And admit that i am curious at how strong i could get if i decided to go on them after dedicated natural training for a few years.

Dude I told this to gingernaut before and now I’m gonna tell it to you! Our strength comes from our RED HAIR! 

A buddy of mine can DL 740 or so and is great with open hand or pinch strength but his 1st go around with grippers he missed the #2. With some basic repositioning to set he could close it. Most can not on 1st try. I've had them out at campfires, in the gym etc. Most in my circle of friends can close the #1 with their strong hand 1st try, some can do so offhand but anything over 100 RGC is hard for people on average.

Just now, HandsMcHanderson said:

A buddy of mine can DL 740 or so and is great with open hand or pinch strength but his 1st go around with grippers he missed the #2. With some basic repositioning to set he could close it. Most can not on 1st try. I've had them out at campfires, in the gym etc. Most in my circle of friends can close the #1 with their strong hand 1st try, some can do so offhand but anything over 100 RGC is hard for people on average.

Very very true.

18 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Dude I told this to gingernaut before and now I’m gonna tell it to you! Our strength comes from our RED HAIR! 

I have been saying this for years haha

MY hair is all gray - I guess I'm screwed :)

• Haha 1

I think a good average gym person should be able to clsoe a #1. A no set without being taught how to do it. I haven't seen a gym guy do a #2 except for two. But that's it. As for other people I have seen a handler who close a 2.5 without a set and I have seen a very strong man closed a #2 and if memory serves me well it was using two fingers only :mellow:blink Now I am not sure if the handles click but he was so close. He did easy reps with the #1 with two fingers. He attempted a #3 like Ronnie and just like him got it to same distance using shitty set like Ronnie too. This is Ronnie Coleman's video. Of course plus minus mm or two. I wish I could've taken a video of him but it was long time ago nokia days and I wasn't sure he would close the #1. Unfortunately he did a heart operation and doesn't apply too much force. He is a little above 60. I'll ask him to do a #1 with two fingers when I see him let's see.

2 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

I think a good average gym person should be able to clsoe a #1. A no set without being taught how to do it. I haven't seen a gym guy do a #2 except for two. But that's it. As for other people I have seen a handler who close a 2.5 without a set and I have seen a very strong man closed a #2 and if memory serves me well it was using two fingers only :mellow:blink Now I am not sure if the handles click but he was so close. He did easy reps with the #1 with two fingers. He attempted a #3 like Ronnie and just like him got it to same distance using shitty set like Ronnie too. This is Ronnie Coleman's video. Of course plus minus mm or two. I wish I could've taken a video of him but it was long time ago nokia days and I wasn't sure he would close the #1. Unfortunately he did a heart operation and doesn't apply too much force. He is a little above 60. I'll ask him to do a #1 with two fingers when I see him let's see.

Also... people with heart problems must be careful with isomeric exercise. Puts a lot of extra stress on the heart and is a contradiction 

On 2/18/2018 at 3:32 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

To top that off Tommy I actually have low testosterone! The doctors cannot explain it. How I am so big and strong. Go figure! Would love to know how I can be if I was at normal levels! Haha

Then you're not strong. Joe Kinney said his testosterone levels were sky jumping when he was squatting early morning 440x60 reps on an empty stomach. Heck even the last rep was easeir than the first because his testosterone level was higher also (don't ask me why he'd stop at 60 rep but he did). Power only comes from testosterone and empty stomach on early morning without warm ups. Yes you are 700+ deadlifter but I bet you cannot squat 440x60 reps which mean you are weak like the rest of us mortals. So to be strong as Kinney one should have a high testosterone levels. That's why you are not strong.

All kidding aside. You are very strong individual my man! Surely will like to meet you one day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alawadhi said:

Then you're not strong. Joe Kinney said his testosterone levels were sky jumping when he was squatting early morning 440x60 reps on an empty stomach. Heck even the last rep was easeir than the first because his testosterone level was higher also (don't ask me why he'd stop at 60 rep but he did). Power only comes from testosterone and empty stomach on early morning without warm ups. Yes you are 700+ deadlifter but I bet you cannot squat 440x60 reps which mean you are weak like the rest of us mortals. So to be strong as Kinney one should have a high testosterone levels. That's why you are not strong.

All kidding aside. You are very strong individual my man! Surely will like to meet you one day.

Bader I would love that brother! Would be a great time! I would like to see how strong I would be if I had “normal” testosterone levels! Hahahahaha... all my power comes from Gods will and not my own anyway!

On 2/22/2018 at 11:36 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

Bader I would love that brother! Would be a great time! I would like to see how strong I would be if I had “normal” testosterone levels! Hahahahaha... all my power comes from Gods will and not my own anyway!

"Normal" is hardly an appropriate adjective for your amazing power Joseph! You, Jedd Johnson, John McCarter, Juha Harju, Laine Snook, Paul Knight and so on, you guys are like the Avengers of the grip community!

4 minutes ago, TheVictoryGrip! said:

"Normal" is hardly an appropriate adjective for your amazing power Joseph! You, Jedd Johnson, John McCarter, Juha Harju, Laine Snook, Paul Knight and so on, you guys are like the Avengers of the grip community!

Well that is the nicest thing I think anyone has ever said to me! Thank you very much sir! I appreciate that and hope my videos entertain and inspire.

Joe

26 minutes ago, TheVictoryGrip! said:

There are.a few  I would like to add to that list... the man with the steel tendons... @Lucasraymond and Big John  Studd John Stepien!

Now it is complete!

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to follow Stuart Mcgills back advice, no lifting or bending early AM hours... If I lift its either late afternoon or evening hours...:))))))))))

6 minutes ago, JasonL said:

I tend to follow Stuart Mcgills back advice, no lifting or bending early AM hours... If I lift its either late afternoon or evening hours...:))))))))))

I always do better after work in the afternoon myself. Never feel 100% in the morning at all.

When I retired in 2003 I started working out at 10 AM each day - it's now become normal for me - I like the way it starts my day.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, Cannon said:

Kind of a side conversation, but are you ever out in public and you see some contractor in Home Depot or something with massive hands and you think "MAN I would love to see what he could do with grippers!"

I once had two huge guys show up to install a large in-wall air conditioner, and they saw my grippers on my handy dandy captains of crush caddy in the living room where they were working (it's always there, I didn't set this up lol).  They inquired.  They tried.  The smaller one could do the 1 and bigger one could just barely do the 1.5.  Then they asked if I could do them and I demonstrated a little, which was fun because you could see the surprise.  To their credit, they both did better than all 15 or so guys in my office who tried my grippers -- none did a 1, one managed a .5.  But we are appeals lawyers, a quintessential desk job.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

I always do better after work in the afternoon myself. Never feel 100% in the morning at all.

Same!