Grip strength of average gym rat

I feel this is appropriate except replace “woman” with “man”

Come on guys you know Goliath was more than likely from the Avvim race........, totally just googled that.  LOL  He actually did look just like the pictures you see of Andre from the neck down as far as his build.  His head was proportionate to his body unlike Andre's big dome though.  LOL.

39 minutes ago, Martin Gaisser said:

Come on guys you know Goliath was more than likely from the Avvim race........, totally just googled that.  LOL  He actually did look just like the pictures you see of Andre from the neck down as far as his build.  His head was proportionate to his body unlike Andre's big dome though.  LOL.

Goliath was one of the nephilim left over from the flood of Noah. Genesis states there giants in the earth and even after that. Would love to see the grip strength on those fallen beings. 

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

Goliath was one of the nephilim left over from the flood of Noah. Genesis states there were  giants in the earth in those days.... and even after that. Would love to see the grip strength on those fallen beings. 

11 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Have you had anyone succeed on the first try?

Nope, one guy was like a few millimeters from closing

18 minutes ago, JStepien said:

Nope, one guy was like a few millimeters from closing

What were you able to do your first time BJS? I almost closed the 3 at Jedds first time I touched it. I’m sure you probably had the same results the leviathan you are!

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

What were you able to do your first time BJS? I almost closed the 3 at Jedds first time I touched it. I’m sure you probably had the same results the leviathan you are!

Dude, I had to train to close certain grippers. I couldn't close the 2 for the 1st time intil I learned a proper set.

7 minutes ago, JStepien said:

Dude, I had to train to close certain grippers. I couldn't close the 2 for the 1st time intil I learned a proper set.

Wow I figured you were smashing them off the bat. Which one did you start with?

6 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Wow I figured you were smashing them off the bat. Which one did you start with?

COC 1.5, then 2, & so on...

My younger brother turned wrenches on aircraft for a long time in the Navy and he pulled 3 plates on the RT (I think low 140#'s) x 20 reps first time ever touching it he had more in him too haha. 

13 hours ago, climber511 said:

I have taken my grippers on climbing trips and seldom have any climbers closed over a #1.  It's pretty normal for my "working friends " to close my COC 1.5 and not at all unusual for them to close my #2 after being shown a little technique.  I bought my first grippers maybe in 1999 or 2000 and closed the #1 and #2 first try having no idea what a set was.  

I wonder why it is that most climbers are not so good on grippers. Climbing seems to build a lot of thickbar/open handed strength.

21 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

I wonder why it is that most climbers are not so good on grippers. Climbing seems to build a lot of thickbar/open handed strength.

Probably because climbing does not work “crush” strength so much?. Crush strength seems very specific. When you climb you’re maybe working the muscles of the hand in a way that is more conducive to open hand strength activation? That’s a good question though.... you would think climbers would have a good first run with grippers. I would think it would be their pinch that would suffer due to not too much direct thumb work. Am I right about the thumbs Tanner?

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Probably because climbing does not work “crush” strength so much?. Crush strength seems very specific. When you climb you’re maybe working the muscles of the hand in a way that is more conducive to open hand strength activation? That’s a good question though.... you would think climbers would have a good first run with grippers. I would think it would be their pinch that would suffer due to not too much direct thumb work. Am I right about the thumbs Tanner?

You are totally right about the thumbs. Climbing hardly works the thumbs at all. I know climbing focuses more on the supporting grip and not a crush....but what “gym rat” or occupation involves mimicking a crush? It seems like most occupations involve just supporting grip, like holding and moving heavy items all day.  Personally I closed a 2.5 the first time I tried, and then my 3 a couple weeks later when I learned technique. 

1 minute ago, Boulderbrew said:

You are totally right about the thumbs. Climbing hardly works the thumbs at all. I know climbing focuses more on the supporting grip and not a crush....but what “gym rat” or occupation involves mimicking a crush? It seems like most occupations involve just supporting grip, like holding and moving heavy items all day.  Personally I closed a 2.5 the first time I tried, and then my 3 a couple weeks later when I learned technique. 

Mechanics, construction workers and farmers do a lot of crush type activities with turning wrenches and manipulating objects. 

7 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Mechanics, construction workers and farmers do a lot of crush type activities with turning wrenches and manipulating objects. 

Yeah It’s interesting how really high volume with moderate resistance (turning wrench, swinging hammers) lends itself to pretty substantial strength gains 

• Like 1

Definitely right about the thumbs, mine are basically just decoration, along with my non-existent wrist. Thumb is always where I fail in thick bar so I've been hitting them hard with my training

9 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Yeah It’s interesting how really high volume with moderate resistance (turning wrench, swinging hammers) lends itself to pretty substantial strength gains 

Read Bondechuk sometime. 

9 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

There's a widespread myth in the training world that you need to lift with extreme intensity to get stronger. The truth is that you can get stronger by lifting under 60% of your 1RM. That is why so many farmers and manual workers are so strong. It's not because they lift the heaviest stuff or turning/bending the hardest stuff it's because they do this every day for years. Lifting tons and tons of stuff in total.

This can be adapted to gym training with success. Then if you're into a sport you will obviously have a peaking phase where you lift heavier.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

There's a widespread myth in the training world that you need to lift with extreme intensity to get stronger. The truth is that you can get stronger by lifting under 60% of your 1RM. That is why so many farmers and manual workers are so strong. It's not because they lift the heaviest stuff or turning/bending the hardest stuff it's because they do this every day for years. Lifting tons and tons of stuff in total.

This can be adapted to gym training with success. Then if you're into a sport you will obviously have a peaking phase where you lift heavier.

Yep.  You will of course need skills work for the desired sport as well.

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

That is true for some things for sure.... but not all. For maximum strength in certain movements you must work beyond 60-70% of your max. This is particularly true with sledgehammer wrist levers. One can bang out multiple reps with a 12 pound hammer for days.... which is 60% of the 20 pounds hammer....but no matter how many reps ya do with the 12, unless you work with closer to the 20 pounder you won’t get it. I was able lever the 12 25 times a set, and was not able to lever the 20 until I was doing 6 reps with the 16 and even then I had to adapt to the stress of the 20 by practicing with it for more than a few sessions to get the tissues acclimated. 

36 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

That is true for some things for sure.... but not all. For maximum strength in certain movements you must work beyond 60-70% of your max. This is particularly true with sledgehammer wrist levers. One can bang out multiple reps with a 12 pound hammer for days.... which is 60% of the 20 pounds hammer....but no matter how many reps ya do with the 12, unless you work with closer to the 20 pounder you won’t get it. I was able lever the 12 25 times a set, and was not able to lever the 20 until I was doing 6 reps with the 16 and even then I had to adapt to the stress of the 20 by practicing with it for more than a few sessions to get the tissues acclimated. 

Yes if you want to peak, as I said. You can still get stronger by adding volume. But if you want to do a 1RM max you need to train on that, this goes without saying.

13 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes if you want to peak, as I said. You can still get stronger by adding volume. But if you want to do a 1RM max you need to train on that, this goes without saying.

Duh... haha I missed that part about the peaking! Haha my fault!

10 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

So since about 2011 i have tested a lot of folks grip. I am not bashful in rolling up on somebody with a grip challenge.

i pretty much carried around a #2 everywhere i went, since it was the hardest gripper that i was able to close first try. Out of maybe 80-90 people i profiled as possibly strong and decided to test, at least 15 were able to close my #2 with no set training or coaching. No set closes essentially. While i was excited for all the guys that closed the #2 first try, i typically didnt jump up and down about it since i also did the same. I noticed no discernible pattern in their physical attributes or background. 3 of the guys that closed it first try were definitely 3 guys that i cant imagine ever setting foot in a gym. All 3 of those guys worked with me over the years in the shop as auto techs, and seemed to possess naturally strong hands.

the others that easily closed the number 2 were typically very strong gym folks. A handful were pro arm wrestlers, and a handful had some very impressive powerlifting numbers. 

In all honesty, of all the people i have "tested" more than 20 have lifted my inch db first try, and on almost every one of those occasions it was with no chalk, and no warmup.

ive posted many details of these first time inch lifters over the years in other posts here on the board. And my findings are that unknown inch lifters appear to be more common than unknown #2 closers. Which is still baffling to me. 

I have also never personally witnessed anyone close a 2.5 or harder first try, but those guys are out there also. Chez comes to mind! He was able to close a 2.5 first try i believe. And look at his crush now!

i would say that if anyone here is able to find a first time 2.5 closer, let them know that they possess the ability to become one of the best crushers on the planet if they so choose.

I closed the number 2.5 first try... and nearly closed a 3 first try at Jedd Johnson’s the first time I touched it.... I know that’s not the norm. I’m glad I have the video to show because we all know in this internet age if it was not filmed it didn’t happen. This video was the first time I ever touched one.

Ya, I had a high starting point. i closed my 2.5 no problem the first time I tried and I learned later it was a hard one at 133. I was also close to my 3 first time and it was 149. I was probably in the 140s to start. Took me 5 weeks to close that 149. Grippers just always clicked or me. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

Ya, the 2.5 for me was no problem for me first time I tried and I learned later it was a hard one at 133. I was also close to my 3 first time and it was 149. 

Yea man....for sure... and then the progress doesn’t blast that fast afterwards from being on a stronger level to begin with.