Custom Choker Grippers!

Cannon

20 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

What will it take to get one of these made? 

They will be back in stock in a couple weeks. Watch our social media for notifications. 

20 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

What is the best way to train with these?

Aaron has a video that he posted in this thread I think. If it’s not in this thread I’ll find it and post here. 

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:15 PM, ChimpGrip said:

What is the best way to train with these?

I found this article- very smart and strong man

https://gripperstrength.wordpress.com/2008/05/07/choker-work-on-grippers/

4 hours ago, Rudy said:

when is the restocking happening?

Whenever it is, I'm in for one!  

Are there any (measurable) concerns on loosing spring-tension when keeping the gripper in the choked position over a period of time?

Should you always reset the handles between workouts or just keep at choked?

16 hours ago, Rudy said:

when is the restocking happening?

Pretty soon, I'm in the assembly stage for the current batch then sending off to CPW.

- Aaron

7 hours ago, manost12 said:

Are there any (measurable) concerns on loosing spring-tension when keeping the gripper in the choked position over a period of time?

Should you always reset the handles between workouts or just keep at choked?

The consensus has been that leaving them choked does not result in quality grippers losing their tension. I would not make that bet with HG grippers though as the spring quality is awful on those. 

- Aaron

Having grippers in choked position will indeed reduce it's tension but only up to the point where it was set to. So if you leave it choked to let's say 20 mm for a long period of time it will lose tension up to that point but it will keep the tension at close. In other words it will make the sweep easier and as we all know a gripper that is easier to set is a gripper that is easier to close.

So no, don't leave them choked if you don't have to. That is why this design is so good, you can easily release the choker when you want to. Between sets? No I would not be that picky. For days, weeks and months? Yes expect to get an easier gripper.

Just now, Fist of Fury said:

Having grippers in choked position will indeed reduce it's tension but only up to the point where it was set to. So if you leave it choked to let's say 20 mm for a long period of time it will lose tension up to that point but it will keep the tension at close. In other words it will make the sweep easier and as we all know a gripper that is easier to set is a gripper that is easier to close.

I agree with this 100%. I can always tell when a gripper has been left in a choker for a long time because it has a soft set and sweep. It will rate the same because the rating is at the point of the close and the gripper hasn't softened there. 

If you replaced the wing nut with a few washers and a nut, couldn’t you just use a cordless drill and the proper deep throat ratchet bit to quickly take the compression off of the spring between training days? 

On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 6:39 PM, Fist of Fury said:

So no, don't leave them choked if you don't have to. That is why this design is so good, you can easily release the choker when you want to. Between sets? No I would not be that picky. For days, weeks and months? Yes expect to get an easier gripper.

Alright that makes sense. I just thought it would take more time to see/feel any loss in tension.

My initial thought was that I will be too lazy to always turn back that wing nut all the way. But indeed better than permanent softening that gripper.

1 hour ago, manost12 said:

Alright that makes sense. I just thought it would take more time to see/feel any loss in tension.

My initial thought was that I will be too lazy to always turn back that wing nut all the way. But indeed better than permanent softening that gripper.

Just replace the wing nut with a washer and nut and use a wrench with a ratchet. No need for batteries :) 

For the next order of cocs, I would like to see more 1.5 and 2 available, I would buy them both. Let me know when? Also sent an Email to Matt Cannon to see if I can reserve.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:41 PM, Chez said:

I agree with this 100%. I can always tell when a gripper has been left in a choker for a long time because it has a soft set and sweep. It will rate the same because the rating is at the point of the close and the gripper hasn't softened there. 

I bet it wouldn't rate the same.  If you are rating by hanging weight on the handle, and it takes less weight to get it to 20 mm than it used to take, but the same weight to get it the rest of the way from 20mm to close as it used to take, then it will take less total weight to get it to close from fully open.  If anyone has empirical evidence to the contrary, glad to hear it; I have no horse in the race.

As far as leaving a gripper in the choker and it losing tension I have never seen that happen. I know I have a hard filed #4 that was 227 before filing that I left in the choker for months and the same after. Felt just as tough through the whole range after. Besides from my understanding of spring steel it does not work like that unless you exceed its yield point which you would not be even close to doing with it sitting in its normal range on a gripper.

- Aaron

I can only comment on the feel. Others have felt it as well. I wouldn't leave it in a choker for super long periods of time. Just my opinion. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, acorn said:

As far as leaving a gripper in the choker and it losing tension I have never seen that happen. I know I have a hard filed #4 that was 227 before filing that I left in the choker for months and the same after. Felt just as tough through the whole range after. Besides from my understanding of spring steel it does not work like that unless you exceed its yield point which you would not be even close to doing with it sitting in its normal range on a gripper.

- Aaron

I have not seen it happen either. 

Back a long while ago, a metallurgist from the UK weighed in on this issue. I’m paraphrasing, but he basically said that given the properties of metal and springs, there is no mechanism for time that would make a spring weaker. Constant use, such as reps, can have an effect. But leaving the gripper in a choker is like one long single rep. The spring doesn’t know how long it took.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cannon said:

Back a long while ago, a metallurgist from the UK weighed in on this issue. I’m paraphrasing, but he basically said that given the properties of metal and springs, there is no mechanism for time that would make a spring weaker. Constant use, such as reps, can have an effect. But leaving the gripper in a choker is like one long single rep. The spring doesn’t know how long it took.  

Indeed, other common examples of springs under tension would be coil or leaf springs in your car or valve springs in the engine. 

23 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I bet it wouldn't rate the same.  If you are rating by hanging weight on the handle, and it takes less weight to get it to 20 mm than it used to take, but the same weight to get it the rest of the way from 20mm to close as it used to take, then it will take less total weight to get it to close from fully open.  If anyone has empirical evidence to the contrary, glad to hear it; I have no horse in the race.

I believe this is true.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chez said:

I can only comment on the feel. Others have felt it as well. I wouldn't leave it in a choker for super long periods of time. Just my opinion. 

And what would you know about grippers :tongue

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

And what would you know about grippers :tongue

Haha 😜

I have a #3.5 I did this to (leaving it in a choker for a few months) it's very easy now compared to before. I did KTA with this gripper so I know EXACTLY how it felt before choking it. 

I can almost close it now, only a few mm's away. I'm nowhere near this level on untampered grippers in the same range and I was nowhere near that with this gripper before leaving it in a choker either. The sweep has gotten much weaker that's why I can almost close it. I believe the last few mm's are just as hard as before though because it feels like a brick when I get there. It's good, it will be the first #3.5 I close :D Not 100% legit though :D 

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

I believe this is true.

I don't believe that's how it is and I base that on grippers rated by you that I own. But you who have the resources could definitely find out how it really works.