Tommy J.

Road to a 400# bench

Joseph Sullivan
16 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Okay so ive been holding off doing anything further pending a doctor visit on the shoulder.

while im not one to distrust a Dr., i am somewhat skeptical of my diagnosis today of bicep tendonitis. But, i do admit to having some killer bicep pain in the weeks leading up to my shoulder issue. So i cant refute the diagnostic just yet. It does make sense.

the only reason i am skeptical was because instead of having me do any mobility/load tests or any x rays, the Dr. simply went off my description of the pain and the issue im having and was quick to write a few prescriptions.I dont know.. maybe the doctors are just that good?..

i know i would never verbally diagnose/assume/condemn any car issue without looking at, and testing a few things hands on myself on a car first.

i did explain that while im having some discomfort and a lack of ability to bench press, i was not interested in a way to mask the pain. I explained that i was more concerned with doing further damage to the shoulder. Basically.. i wasnt there to get pain meds, but thats what i got. Slightly disappointing i guess.

anywho, official diag at this time is bicep tendonitis in the right side.

Dr. Advised to take 3 weeks minimum off of any weight training including lower body. I will give her some credit.. she did seem familiar with working out enough to know that even doing squats or deadlifts i would have to use my arms and shoulders to load the bar. So no working out.

but here is the fun part.. 3 different prescriptions

1. Diclofenac sodium 75mg DR tablets (anti inflammatory)

2. Cyclobenzaprine 10mg tablets (muscle relaxers)

3. And last but not least, Methylprednisolone 4mg DOSPAK 21’s. Substituted for Medrol 4mg DOSPAK 21. this one is apparently a steroid of some sort. So i guess technically this means im already on steroids?

well.. heres to waiting on a shoulder to heal.

You may just have to have some soft tissue trigger point release to your biceps and bicipital tendon area. The lumped up tissue can cause a lot of pain and neurological symptoms that may just be the result of that. I’ve treated quite a few patients with manual therapy that complain of the issues you state. A good physical therapist with manual therapy experience can tell you whether or not that is the issue with a little palpating of the region. Good luck. Many times doctors use a cookie cutter approach to pain and muscular dysfunction and don’t get to the root cause.

• Like 2

Joseph Sullivan
33 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Okay so ive been holding off doing anything further pending a doctor visit on the shoulder.

while im not one to distrust a Dr., i am somewhat skeptical of my diagnosis today of bicep tendonitis. But, i do admit to having some killer bicep pain in the weeks leading up to my shoulder issue. So i cant refute the diagnostic just yet. It does make sense.

the only reason i am skeptical was because instead of having me do any mobility/load tests or any x rays, the Dr. simply went off my description of the pain and the issue im having and was quick to write a few prescriptions.I dont know.. maybe the doctors are just that good?..

i know i would never verbally diagnose/assume/condemn any car issue without looking at, and testing a few things hands on myself on a car first.

i did explain that while im having some discomfort and a lack of ability to bench press, i was not interested in a way to mask the pain. I explained that i was more concerned with doing further damage to the shoulder. Basically.. i wasnt there to get pain meds, but thats what i got. Slightly disappointing i guess.

anywho, official diag at this time is bicep tendonitis in the right side.

Dr. Advised to take 3 weeks minimum off of any weight training including lower body. I will give her some credit.. she did seem familiar with working out enough to know that even doing squats or deadlifts i would have to use my arms and shoulders to load the bar. So no working out.

but here is the fun part.. 3 different prescriptions

1. Diclofenac sodium 75mg DR tablets (anti inflammatory)

2. Cyclobenzaprine 10mg tablets (muscle relaxers)

3. And last but not least, Methylprednisolone 4mg DOSPAK 21’s. Substituted for Medrol 4mg DOSPAK 21. this one is apparently a steroid of some sort. So i guess technically this means im already on steroids?

well.. heres to waiting on a shoulder to heal.

Haha on the steroids! Yes you  are “on”  anti inflammatories but a no to the anabolics!would be nice to get the same affects right?

Edited by Joseph Sullivan

Fist of Fury
29 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

No you're not "on roids" with that one since it's a corticosteroid. It won't increase your performance. Not over time, it might give some pain relief, that's why corticosteriods are on WADA's list of banned substances. Since pain relief can give an advantage in some sports.

• Like 1

Climber028

Doctors have very little training in soft issue injuries, so take it with a grain of salt and try to find a good movement therapist in your area. Nothing against conventional medicine, if I get hit by a car I'm definitely going to the hospital but would never go for anything in the category of sports medicine. It's not their role. It's like going to a football coach for baseball tips, they might know more than the average person but it isn't their expertise.

• Like 3

EricMilfeld
42 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

99% of doctors are completely useless idiots, unfortunately. 

There's many ways you can train your lower body without stressing your arms. Use a cambered bar for squats or just a loading-pin and a belt. Plus there's many ways of training the core. 

Wish I didn’t have to agree with the spirit of your post, but I unfortunately do. 

Tommy J.

Thanks again for the input guys. 

For now im gonna do as recommended. Take off 3 weeks straight and take the meds. Im not interested in deciding what workouts i think will or wont hurt the shoulder further. Dr. Says take off, im taking off.

besides, lets say i do some stuff workout wise that we all know has zero effect on the shoulder. And take it a step further and say the doctor was wrong on diagnostics and in 3 weeks i still have pain. Then all the Dr. has to do at that point to not be liable for anything is say “i told you to take off workouts and you didnt listen.”

and im not gonna play that game.

if i do exactly as recommended and still have pain in 3 weeks, then that Dr. is now put on the spot to have to investigate my injury further, or send me to someone more knowledgable.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

No you're not "on roids" with that one since it's a corticosteroid. It won't increase your performance. Not over time, it might give some pain relief, that's why corticosteriods are on WADA's list of banned substances. Since pain relief can give an advantage in some sports.

Interesting. Thank you for the info!

kind of makes me wonder how many tested athletes fail a test for something as non malice as my prescription, only to get shafted and labeled a cheater and banned from competing or whatever. Because Substances on the banned list are substances on the banned list. It appears that it does not matter what we think. Lol

i guess regardless of what our perception is as to what substances are considered cheating and which ones arent, the testing agency disagrees with all of us. Imagine that. 

Tommy J.
2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Haha on the steroids! Yes you  are “on”  anti inflammatories but a no to the anabolics!would be nice to get the same affects right?

I wasnt confused. I asked rhetorically if technically i was on steroids. And the answer is yes.

im basically mocking the idea that steroids in general are considered cheating. I think it is fascinating how captivated people are at the thought of someone possibly cheating.

but if we really broke down the list of banned substances, i bet we could all agree that there are less than 20 drugs on that list that if someone were on, and we were not, we probably wouldnt want to compete with them. Most on that list are total bullshit. And imo the fact that the majority of the substances on that list are bullshit, means the whole list is bullshit.

personally, there are less than a handful of substances that come to mind that i would rather not face off with someone while they are on. Coke or PCP to name a couple

Edited by Tommy J.

Joseph Sullivan
5 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I wasnt confused. I asked rhetorically if technically i was on steroids. And the answer is yes.

Didn’t think you were confused Tommy J. You obviously lost the jest of my comment.

Tommy J.
1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Didn’t think you were confused Tommy J. You obviously lost the jest of my comment.

No i did not. You lost the jest of mine. I posted it too early and was adding to it. Re read it

Joseph Sullivan
3 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

No i did not. You lost the jest of mine. I posted it too early and was adding to it. Re read it

Yes you are now officially on the “juice”. Haha

• Like 1

Tommy J.
5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yes you are now officially on the “juice”. Haha

Yep. Technically. By doing nothing more than taking anti inflammatories.

maybe someone more concerned could write a letter to WADA and get it sorted. 😁

• Haha 1

Joseph Sullivan
3 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Yep. Technically. By doing nothing more than taking anti inflammatories.

maybe someone more concerned could write a letter to WADA and get it sorted. 😁

Fist of Fury
10 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Thanks again for the input guys. 

For now im gonna do as recommended. Take off 3 weeks straight and take the meds. Im not interested in deciding what workouts i think will or wont hurt the shoulder further. Dr. Says take off, im taking off.

besides, lets say i do some stuff workout wise that we all know has zero effect on the shoulder. And take it a step further and say the doctor was wrong on diagnostics and in 3 weeks i still have pain. Then all the Dr. has to do at that point to not be liable for anything is say “i told you to take off workouts and you didnt listen.”

and im not gonna play that game.

if i do exactly as recommended and still have pain in 3 weeks, then that Dr. is now put on the spot to have to investigate my injury further, or send me to someone more knowledgable.

Interesting. Thank you for the info!

kind of makes me wonder how many tested athletes fail a test for something as non malice as my prescription, only to get shafted and labeled a cheater and banned from competing or whatever. Because Substances on the banned list are substances on the banned list. It appears that it does not matter what we think. Lol

i guess regardless of what our perception is as to what substances are considered cheating and which ones arent, the testing agency disagrees with all of us. Imagine that. 

You're allowed to take corticosteroids if you have permission to do so from the doctor and the federation. For some reason some athletes mess this up sometimes :D 

I'm not sure it's allowed to use them during competition though.

• Like 1

Tommy J.
1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

You're allowed to take corticosteroids if you have permission to do so from the doctor and the federation. For some reason some athletes mess this up sometimes :D 

I'm not sure it's allowed to use them during competition though.

Lol that is wild.. 

I dont mean to sit and bash respected (i assume they are?) drug testing agencies, but dang.. what a joke!

after reading your earlier comments, i looked on the WADA banned drugs list, and sure enough my prescription was on there in the “not legal for competition” category list for 2018. And after further looking into corticosteroids and the effect they have on the body, i cant imagine why any sane person would advertise or categorize them as PEDs.

Fist of Fury
12 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Lol that is wild.. 

I dont mean to sit and bash respected (i assume they are?) drug testing agencies, but dang.. what a joke!

after reading your earlier comments, i looked on the WADA banned drugs list, and sure enough my prescription was on there in the “not legal for competition” category list for 2018. And after further looking into corticosteroids and the effect they have on the body, i cant imagine why any sane person would advertise or categorize them as PEDs.

At first glance it might seem strange but if you look in to it more it makes sense.

Steroid treatment (whichever steroid it is) has negative effects if you use it too much. Corticosteriods can give pain relief and in some sports, the ability to endure pain is part of the sport. So if you take them under competition it's indeed giving you an advantage in that regard. So if everyone take them everytime you're competing, you're surely not using the medication the way it's intended to be used (for sick, injured and people who got a new organ implanted).

Actually, there's a huge debate going on in the world of Cross-Country skiing if corticosteriods and similar medication (asthma medication) should be completely banned or not. I think it should be completely banned, or if not, everything should be legal.

• Like 1

Tommy J.
On 3/20/2018 at 5:24 AM, Fist of Fury said:

At first glance it might seem strange but if you look in to it more it makes sense.

Steroid treatment (whichever steroid it is) has negative effects if you use it too much. Corticosteriods can give pain relief and in some sports, the ability to endure pain is part of the sport. So if you take them under competition it's indeed giving you an advantage in that regard. So if everyone take them everytime you're competing, you're surely not using the medication the way it's intended to be used (for sick, injured and people who got a new organ implanted).

Actually, there's a huge debate going on in the world of Cross-Country skiing if corticosteriods and similar medication (asthma medication) should be completely banned or not. I think it should be completely banned, or if not, everything should be legal.

Hadnt considered this until you posted it.. i guess prize fighters could certainly benefit from this type of steroid. 

Although coke would be my choice of cheating for a fight where money was on the line (LOL), i guess a strong anti inflammatory could still give a lot of upper hand. Especially afterward in the recovery phase.

Tommy J.

Thought id give an update.

shoulder is still a bust. Slowly making progress, but i admit i have been slacking with recovery work. Leaving it be seems to be working, so im likely gonna stick with what im doing for now. Nothing. This goal is still on. I think about it every day, multiple times a day. 

Its depressing at times to have to wait.. especially considering that i recently acquired a bunch of new weights, a decent rack, and a pimp bar!

I test it every couple days with a couple strict pushups. Until i feel no kinks or impingments on a simple pushup, im not touching the weights.

i think i said earlier in the thread that realized i had been benching wrong my whole life once i found the slingshot. But then again, i never had any shoulder issues or injury benching before.

so i have chalked it up as 1 or all of three things being the culprit. Trying a new bench form not in my norm with the slingshot (forcing the elbows in), possibly not warming up enough, or age is beginning to rear its head at me.. because i never put any crazy heavy weight on the bar leading up to this.

oh well tho. Its hard to gain any real world lifting experience without some real first hand mishaps to learn from. It can be easy to forget advice others tell you. But forgetting an injury likely wont happen, even after it is healed.

to be continued.

• Like 2

Tommy J.

Shoulder is back!

Bench-

135x10

135x10

135x10

135x10

135x10

135x10

135x10

135x10

135x9

135x5

135x5

135x1

decided on about the 2nd rep on my 2nd set i wanted to do 10x10 with 135.. couldnt make it happen. But still decided to get 100 total reps. Which turned out to be a bit of a marathon for me.

Ive never been a big volume guy. But i think im sticking with the higher reps lighter weight for a while. Its very satisfying being able to bench again. I want to enjoy it a while. Baby steps. Thats all. No need for advice.

Just sit back and watch me sink or swim!

• Like 4

EricMilfeld

It’s pretty cool how we both got our shoulders back at the same time. I’m in weight gain mode, so maybe we’ll make a race of it, even though I’d be elated to hit a 375 touch n’ go. Here’s some advice you said that’s not needed: eat a ton of Mexican food! And respect and embrace the the magical ability of the power belly! 

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Joseph Sullivan
29 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

It’s pretty cool how we both got our shoulders back at the same time. I’m in weight gain mode, so maybe we’ll make a race of it, even though I’d be elated to hit a 375 touch n’ go. Here’s some advice you said that’s not needed: eat a ton of Mexican food! And respect and embrace the the magical ability of the power belly! 

Mexican food is MAGICAL  for mass and strength! 

• Like 2

Tommy J.
34 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Better not let me catch your bench press numbers! You wont be able to have a bench day without me when we are pressing the same weights!

While i would like to stay near my current bw, im not opposed to upping my fatness. Because im gonna have a difficult time refusing the mexican food advice. 😬

• Haha 2

climber511

"upping my fatness" - is that your new goal?  :)  Should be easy to achieve with some concentrated effort.  400# on the bench and 400 spoonfuls on the Mexican - look at it as a challenge LOL

• Haha 3

EricMilfeld
1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Mexican food is MAGICAL  for mass and strength! 

I knew you had a secret! And all this time I thought it was hand size and bindy implements. 😆 I’m a bad person...

55 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Better not let me catch your bench press numbers! You wont be able to have a bench day without me when we are pressing the same weights!

While i would like to stay near my current bw, im not opposed to upping my fatness. Because im gonna have a difficult time refusing the mexican food advice. 😬

Your dedication is admirable. Alright, so more training sessions at Uncle Julio’s! Uhhh... minus the arm wrestling; I’m on the donor’s list awaiting a new right arm. Why’d you let me do it, Tommy? You knew I had beer and Margaritas...

28 minutes ago, climber511 said:

"upping my fatness" - is that your new goal?  :)  Should be easy to achieve with some concentrated effort.  400# on the bench and 400 spoonfuls on the Mexican - look at it as a challenge LOL

Chris, we needn’t worry about him getting in the volume with his spoon... my concern is his spoon drifting over to my plate...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Joseph Sullivan
8 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

I knew you had a secret! And all this time I thought it was hand size and bindy implements. 😆 I’m a bad person...

Your dedication is admirable. Alright, so more training sessions at Uncle Julio’s! Uhhh... minus the arm wrestling; I’m on the donor’s list awaiting a new right arm. Why’d you let me do it, Tommy? You knew I had beer and Margaritas...

Chris, we needn’t worry about him getting in the volume with his spoon... my concern is his spoon drifting over to my plate...

Haha @EricMilfeld my hand is a paltry  8 inches and my implements a rusted and bound to perfection! 😂😂😂

• Like 2

EricMilfeld
3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Haha @EricMilfeld my hand is a paltry  8 inches and my implements a rusted and bound to perfection! 😂😂😂

I need to see your hand size documented on video and signed by a notary. Your hands are only 1/4” bigger than mine and thick bars snicker every time I’m near. This just can’t be...😤🙁😢😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 2