Tommy J.

Road to a 400# bench

Tommy J.

Yes, no SS, but that is only estimated max. I actually did not max again prior to starting the 10x10. 

And back when i first started this log before i had the shoulder issue i was closer to a 280 1rm. Also not in a SS.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

bencrush

Thanks! I figured it was without the SS. It will be very interesting to see where it takes you over the next year. I admire your patience and willpower to stick with it over the long haul. 

• Like 2

Tommy J.
11 hours ago, bencrush said:

Thanks! I figured it was without the SS. It will be very interesting to see where it takes you over the next year. I admire your patience and willpower to stick with it over the long haul. 

Thank you for the kind words brother.

working nights helps if im able to get off work at a decent hour. If i can get home by 5ish, i can have my workouts done before the kiddos get up, and i dont have to miss anything family time wise.

also definitely helps that i have everything i need at home, and that i can do the workouts in a quiet, undistracted environment at my own pace. Im not sure how this would pan out if i actually had to physically go to the gym and hog a bench for and hour and a half between just warmups and my work sets on the bench.

also helps that im literally not doing any workouts other than most Sundays with the fellas on grip, and whats posted in the log. I know, i know... if i actually did squats and deadlifts and possibly more tailored-for-bench accessory work, i could possibly speed this whole thing up a bit. But i admit that i like feeling rested from any other lifting fatigue when i start the workout. 

Eric mentioned not long ago he predicted 18 more months and i’d be at 400. And while my face did light up with excitement when he said it, im thinking even that seems fast.. if i continue to assert that my estimated 1rm is/was 300 when i started the 10x10 (not when i started the thread), then that would be 100lb increased in under 2 years! And while that might seem modest for some, i consider that to be really fast. However, that doesnt put a mental block for me to aim for it! I’d love to not disappoint my homie! 😊

• Like 2

Tommy J.

Bw with boots on 230! Went back down some! I always put that disclaimer in because i do my pullups with the exact weight i step on the scale with.

pull ups

bw

x9

x7

x7

x4

x4

x3

rows

135x10

x8

x8

x8

x8

then got some overhead work in by helping my daughter do some assisted pullups. Her tiny hands work so hard to hang on to the 1-1/4” bar. She might be a thickbar monster one day!

• Like 2

Tommy J.

bench

x10

x10

x10

x10

x10

x10

x10

x10

x10

x11

today Adam did this workout with me at a smoking pace! he ended up doing 12 sets total and had just finished his about 6th set before I started my 4th. I know I said earlier that I didn't care to film this workout, but I filmed not only mine, but Adams as well. as soon as I can get the vid up I will post it.

• Like 3

Tommy J.

Bw 224 (worked out today in only briefs, so this is my actual weight)

pull ups

bw

x9

x8

x7

x5

x5

x4

rows

136x10

x8

x8

x8

x8

we weighed my plates this weekend on Erics scale. So i will be posting weight to the tenth of a pound.

also weighed my inch on Erics scale. Came in at 174 exactly. Woot! Nice to know i own an over weight inch with a slick handle to boot! Cant wait till the guys try it who think they have difficult inches.. when clearly the inches they post vids of appear to hold chalk like nobodies business. Mines so slick, holding chalk is dang near impossible.

• Like 1

Tommy J.

What prompted me to weigh the plates was Rhindo’s sentiments that one of the bars he used was actually 33lbs instead of 45lbs. While i am certain my bar weight is 45 (Ohio Power Bar from Rogue), my curiosity still got the better of me on my uncalibrated plates. Plus, now we have a set of accurately weighed plates here if we ever need them for comp purposes.

also, have always wondered the exact weight of my inch. So that was cool.

And im not gonna lie.. between Adam and Eric encouraging me at different points, im seriously considering doing a bonafide PL meet before years end. So its gonna be nice to know exactly what to expect weight wise going into a meet now that i have weighed my plates on an accurate scale.

and yes, incase anyone is wondering, i will definitely go to a raw meet in a respectable tested org. USAPL will be the org i will more than likely go to my first meet.

Not yet sure if im 100% interested in going all in on PL. i more or less just want to make my mediocre lifts official. Time will tell how far i intend to chase the squat and DL.

Also, figured some might find this part interesting.. took some notional measurments with the fellas this weekend. And determined that while Tanner, Eric, and I are all nearly the same hight standing, they both have 4”+ on their total wingspan than i do. And if we sit side by side, im roughly 1”+ taller than them when we sit. So what that means is i have shorter arms, shorter legs, and a slightly longer torso than both of them. If we split hairs, that means im physically better suited to bench than they are, and they are both physically better suited to DL. Although i could also argue that i have shorter legs, and probably am slightly better suited physically for the squat as well. Even tho i hate and suck at squats, the slight physical advantage is there.

While i understand that physical differences like that could indeed be a mute point, being aware of them can be a good thing in confidence when training for certain lifts. 

Example, all Erics 3 big lifts are stronger than mine. But given our physical differences, i feel that catching his bench is definitely a high probability for me. Considering i have 2 less inches to press to lockout than him. His DL, not so much when i take into account the physical differences between us, AND how strong he is at the DL. And while its likely that catching his squat would be a huge undertaking, i feel confident going in that i would also have a slight physical advantage on that lift also. Albeit a VERY long ways to go.

Its also possible that the shorter arms could better explain my DO bending ability in the past as well. 

Randomness i figured you guys might enjoy.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 5

Climber028

That happened to me, was devastated when I found out the bar I had been using for 10+ years was actually 39lbs.

Tommy J.
28 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

That happened to me, was devastated when I found out the bar I had been using for 10+ years was actually 39lbs.

Quality bars are the way to go. This eliminates any questions of accurate weight. No way companies like Rogue are selling bars that arent accurate weight for hundreds of dollars. It could be a fine way to end up with some funky legal trouble if they did.

i can see this being the case with brick and mortar store bars (cheap bars) though. Because they arent advartising the cheap bars they sell as any specific weight in most cases. Everyone just sort of assumes the bars are 45lbs since they are oly style bars. Their mistake tho.

i recently tried to convince my pops to get himself a quality bar. Mainly for the super good knurling that comes with quality bars most times. He objected and said his bar was fine. I even went so far as to tell him i could easily bend his cheap bar. He laughed like he didnt believe me... my response to that was “dad have you never bailed on a squat? I could bend your cheap bar by just dropping it on the safety stops with only 255 from shoulder high.”

his response to that was “well i dont squat, so it dont matter.” 🤣

• Like 1

Climber028

I use cheap bars since I'm weak and it doesn't matter. If I can ever deadlift over 400lbs then my reward will be buying a nice bar but I'm not actively chasing it.

Stephen Ruby

Interesting correlation with the short arms and bending. I know that many of the top DO benders in the past tended to have a pretty decent bench for their size. If any lift had decent carryover to bending it seemed to be benching. 

• Like 1

Tommy J.

Bench

x10

x10

x10

x10

x10

x10

x10

x10

x10

x12

skull crushers with tricep bar

66lbs

x20

x15

x15

man im not gonna lie.. i was pretty fired up today after leaving work and almost having a very bad day on the Road King. Felt like i was gonna do 200 reps after that close call. But no way.. it felt heavy by the 3rd set.. i had plans today to attempt no more than 4:30 between sets the whole way. I knew before i got half way that wasnt gonna happen. Per Adams recommendation, i payed close attention to my start time and end time. Great call on Adams part! Made it seem harder actually. I dig it!

Finished the reps on bench in 58 minutes.

if i assume my reps on each set take roughly 16 seconds on average, that means my average break time between sets is around 5:30. Id like to at some point aim for under 5 minutes, then 4:30, etc, etc. until im under about 3 minutes between sets. But, i may save that for when i hit a wall.

also, this workout remains fun and challenging every time. I have no immediate plans to do anything different. It never gets easy as long as the weight goes up. It really isnt as boring as some might think when reading. Especially when i count the total volume up and realize that i just got done moving the equivalent weight of 2 dually trucks. 

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 2

acorn

Good stuff brother. Progress is progress. btw, I generally find bench reps to be between 2 and 4 sec per rep with the average for a normal one at 3 sec. I did a video study of my own benching a few years back for time under tension analysis and mine typically were 3sec per rep. Paying attention to time under tension and rest time is always a very good idea.

- Aaron

• Thanks 1