Jump to content
Tommy J.

Road to a 400# bench

Recommended Posts

Tommy J.

I have never in my life been able to keep a detailed training log. In fact, even at 32 years of age, my dad STILL rags my ass about not writing down my workouts.

so here goes an honest attempt.

 

Tonight i was excited about getting my new slingshot in the mail. After opening it up and testing it out briefly, i decided to head over to pops house to put it through its paces.

we tested pops first. Since his bench at age 59 is currently way stronger than mine, i was eager to see what he could put up with the slingshot. 

He smashed an easy 365# bench in the slingshot, and then we took him straight to 405#. He narrowly missed it. I helped maybe 10 #'s on the spot.

i attempted a 315 and couldnt lock out my right arm. Damn all this armwrestling pain!

did a work set at 225 with the slingshot of 14 reps.

took the weight back down to 135 with no slingshot and did 16 sets of 3 speed reps with 30 second breaks. Called it a night.

 

i intend to not let my dad stay stronger than me. Lol!

i have never been even close to a 400# bench, so this may be a long, painful log. Im excited though. Its been a while since i have been this serious about a strength goal.

 

315 miss attached

 

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kluv#0

Last month I paused 315lb bench press for the 35th straight year- all done naturally- I can attest to keeping a journal and triceps,triceps and more triceps. Good luck and make it 405💪

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
corefire

its just a 8 week progression. do something!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.
30 minutes ago, corefire said:

its just a 8 week progression. do something!

Not for me man. 18 months might be realistic. Hopefully.

thank you for the kind words though. 🖕🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
corefire

you can 315 once. 405 = 315×8 

now you see its a realistic goal in shorter time :-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld

I look forward to following this!

How much would you say the Slingshot helps?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.

My max right now is roughly 280, and 315 felt possible with the slingshot. It helps that much weight wise.

however after benching with this i notice how much it corrects my form and allows me to not hurt in the shoulder and upper back. I think im gonna be using it quite a bit.

 

man its funny.. i admit that for most of my life i have hated on lifting gear other than belts.. but now that i realize i would like to be able to do this till im 60, it makes me want to use more stuff like this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld

That’s just playing it smart. It’s why I train squats with my knee sleeves. They don’t really do much in terms of adding weight, but my knees feel a lot better. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I have never in my life been able to keep a detailed training log. In fact, even at 32 years of age, my dad STILL rags my ass about not writing down my workouts.

so here goes an honest attempt.

 

Tonight i was excited about getting my new slingshot in the mail. After opening it up and testing it out briefly, i decided to head over to pops house to put it through its paces.

we tested pops first. Since his bench at age 59 is currently way stronger than mine, i was eager to see what he could put up with the slingshot. 

He smashed an easy 365# bench in the slingshot, and then we took him straight to 405#. He narrowly missed it. I helped maybe 10 #'s on the spot.

i attempted a 315 and couldnt lock out my right arm. Damn all this armwrestling pain!

did a work set at 225 with the slingshot of 14 reps.

took the weight back down to 135 with no slingshot and did 16 sets of 3 speed reps with 30 second breaks. Called it a night.

 

i intend to not let my dad stay stronger than me. Lol!

i have never been even close to a 400# bench, so this may be a long, painful log. Im excited though. Its been a while since i have been this serious about a strength goal.

 

315 miss attached

 

Good luck on your 400 bench man. Despite what YouTube tells us.... even 315 in a drug free individual is not the norm. Even getting a 315 bench is very respectable and not easily attained despite what most may think. 400 is awesome at any rate. We are so swept up these days by these “sensations” that we’ve become totally warped on what are good lifts. I have no doubt in my mind you will achieve your 400 plus if you focus in and train it. You have the gripper prowess, there’s no reason you can’t attain the bench prowess! And hats off too your dad man! That’s AWESOME!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.
8 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Good luck on your 400 bench man. Despite what YouTube tells us.... even 315 in a drug free individual is not the norm. Even getting a 315 bench is very respectable and not easily attained despite what most may think. 400 is awesome at any rate. We are so swept up these days by these “sensations” that we’ve become totally warped on what are good lifts. I have no doubt in my mind you will achieve your 400 plus if you focus in and train it. You have the gripper prowess, there’s no reason you can’t attain the bench prowess! And hats off too your dad man! That’s AWESOME!

While i have never been a particularly good bencher, or weight lifter for that matter, i have still never viewed 315 as a great bench press. 315 will certainly be a big deal for me when i get it without having to bounce or use a slingshot. But it has been a bench achieved by every male in my family before they were out of high school. Accept me. Im pushing mid 30's and never hit it. While i could blame that on being the runt of the litter, i am not bashful in pointing out that i have some very lazy training habits. Had i got off the motorcycles and hot girlfriends and trophy wife over the last 10 years, i could have put in some much needed training time instead. But i like to party! 😬

for a 220lb guy, a 405 bench still isnt even a double bw press. Not even close. I cant see a healthy 220lb guy with moderate background in lifting needing drugs to hit 405 on a 1rm. Anyone that says its rare to hit that lift naturally has spent even less time in gyms than i have.

 

however, id like to make it understood my stance, and my conviction on this goal of mine.. i have never used steroids. And have no intentions to. But, i intend to hit a 400# bench one way or another. If it turns out i need to go get a bag of steroids to make it happen, then thats exactly what i will do. And i will be glad to log every detail of what it takes for me to get there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
1 minute ago, Tommy J. said:

While i have never been a particularly good bencher, or weight lifter for that matter, i have still never viewed 315 as a great bench press. 315 will certainly be a big deal for me when i get it without having to bounce or use a slingshot. But it has been a bench achieved by every male in my family before they were out of high school. Accept me. Im pushing mid 30's and never hit it. While i could blame that on being the runt of the litter, i am not bashful in pointing out that i have some very lazy training habits. Had i got off the motorcycles and hot girlfriends and trophy wife over the last 10 years, i could have put in some much needed training time instead. But i like to party! 😬

for a 220lb guy, a 405 bench still isnt even a double bw press. Not even close. I cant see a healthy 220lb guy with moderate background in lifting needing drugs to hit 405 on a 1rm. Anyone that says its rare to hit that lift naturally has spent even less time in gyms than i have.

 

however, id like to make it understood my stance, and my conviction on this goal of mine.. i have never used steroids. And have no intentions to. But, i intend to hit a 400# bench one way or another. If it turns out i need to go get a bag of steroids to make it happen, then thats exactly what i will do. And i will be glad to log every detail of what it takes for me to get there.

 

Most do not attain 405. 315 is a good bench for most. You are talking about people that focus a lot of time on bench. Walk into most gyms and there aren’t many guys as a whole benching 405. Good luck with your progress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.
18 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Most do not attain 405. 315 is a good bench for most. You are talking about people that focus a lot of time on bench. Walk into most gyms and there aren’t many guys as a whole benching 405. Good luck with your progress. 

But do most specifically target 405? I would wager that most do not. Most are happy getting rid of the FUDA and making their arms look big.

 

and thank you btw! Im gonna give it hell!

and if i can get it on vid, i will post pops getting 405 when it happens. For him it should come soon.

Edited by Tommy J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chez
16 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Walk into most gyms and there aren’t many guys as a whole benching 405.

Yep, I have only worked out with a couple of guys capable of a 405 bench. Right now I'm benching with a guy who weighs 190 and benches 420. I'm trying to bring my bench up also so I decided to lift with him since it will motivate me. I'm use to being the bigger guy so its cool getting my butt kicked again. 

Good Luck Tommy! I'll be following your progress. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.
3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yep, I have only worked out with a couple of guys capable of a 405 bench. Right now I'm benching with a guy who weighs 190 and benches 420. I'm trying to bring my bench up also so I decided to lift with him since it will motivate me. I'm use to being the bigger guy so its cool getting my butt kicked again. 

Good Luck Tommy! I'll be following your progress. 

Thanks man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kluv#0

405 lb bench is very rare but is attainable w/o drugs as I was over 405 late teens and early to mid 20's drug-free. However, a big aspect is how the FORM is and I was never able to pause 405lb (my BWT at the time was 195-210) despite my touch n' go being 420. I have seen plenty of strong guys "press" 405 with ass a foot off the bench and some that brave enough enough bounce it off the chest-  315 lb pause bench is not all that common especially for someone who is 200 lb range. A sloppy 315 bench is very common and I see my neighbor do it all the time:)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
29 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

But do most specifically target 405? I would wager that most do not. Most are happy getting rid of the FUDA and making their arms look big.

 

and thank you btw! Im gonna give it hell!

and if i can get it on vid, i will post pops getting 405 when it happens. For him it should come soon.

Very true! The beach muscle pumpers! Haha 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.

Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.

And by the way guys im certainly open to criticism of whatever workouts i post or vids i put up!

any corrections you guys can make that can help me out, please post them! 

I have spent some moderate time lifting, but not much.. if i could gather up all my weightlifting workouts throughout my entire life and place them consecutively together, without the big layoffs, i would say that i have trained less than 4-5 solid years my entire life. 

Seriously.. i have mostly just done stunts my whole strength career. Lmao!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kluv#0
5 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

And by the way guys im certainly open to criticism of whatever workouts i post or vids i put up!

any corrections you guys can make that can help me out, please post them! 

I have spent some moderate time lifting, but not much.. if i could gather up all my weightlifting workouts throughout my entire life and place them consecutively together, without the big layoffs, i would say that i have trained less than 4-5 solid years my entire life. 

Seriously.. i have mostly just done stunts my whole strength career. Lmao!

You have a great attitude and your grip strength is some of the best  the grip world has ever seen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin Gaisser

I think its totally possible for you.  I've always had a sucky bench press which I still believe has a lot to do with just the way some of us are built.  Form I know plays huge as well as techniques like squeezing the bar and leg drive which I still have never been able to do.  I couldn't believe the whole squeezing the bar thing when my brother was trying to help me one day.  Of course proper progression and not getting burnt out or injured is probably most important.  I always read those stupid muscle mags growing up and wondered why I never got stronger.  Then I tried Super Squats when I was in my early 20's which totally worked then the last training routine I did was 5/3/1 several years ago and that got me the strongest I've ever been in my life.  Keep in mind prior I hadn't trained in years but my bench went from a best of 185 x 1 to 245 x 24 over 8 months on the program.  For some reason I've always been able to do better with reps than singles.  My power drops off a bit more than others I've noticed when it comes to that.  Best of luck man can't wait to see you get it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew Dube

When I graduated high school I couldn't even bench 135... Good luck in your quest for 405!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
7 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

When I graduated high school I couldn't even bench 135... Good luck in your quest for 405!

You’ve come a loooong waaaay Dubester!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew Dube
1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You’ve come a loooong waaaay Dubester!

Thanks brother! Still a long way to go too! But Tommy obviously comes from a family of mutants

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chez
1 hour ago, Andrew Dube said:

When I graduated high school I couldn't even bench 135... Good luck in your quest for 405!

I couldn't either. I started lifting in college and started with 95 lbs. I was very thin before gaining weight through strength training. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
3 minutes ago, Chez said:

I couldn't either. I started lifting in college and started with 95 lbs. I was very thin before gaining weight through strength training. 

And the even better part… Strength  EATING! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×