Tommy J.

Powerlifting related question

Tommy J.

Im looking to buy a new bar. I would only like to have 1 bar that covers all 3 big lifts.

things i feel are necessary to cover all 3 big lifts.

1. I want/need sharp knurling

2. Has to have a decent center knurling for squats

3. Has to have a decent amount if whip for deadlifting.

4. (The most difficult factor) bar diameter.

for deadlifting, its my understanding that 27-28.5mm is best for deads, but then again im a grip guy.. so do i really need a thinner diameter bar? Also, thinner diameter bars seem like a possible hinderance to squat and bench? So i cant decide what to look for diameter wise.

Also, i can assure that its a high probability that i will never achieve any lift over 650lbs tops. I wont even go heavier than that on rack pulls. So while bar strength also is a factor, i dont need top of the line tensile strength. But something thats strong enough that if i decide to bail on a 400lb squat and the bar hits the safety pins, i would like it to not bend.

and finally, i do not want a cheapo bar.. every cheap bar ive felt has garbage knurling. To me this makes them unacceptable to be doing serious lifting. Sharp/deep knurling is paramount imo.

what bar is best that covers all the things i mention?

Edited by Tommy J.

KRC

Texas power bar.  Suboptimal for deadlifting criteria but better in the sense that if/when you get on the platform with a real deadloft bar, it could give you a few extra pounds when it counts.  

• Like 2

Shoggoth

I don’t think you’re going to want whip on your squats and bench. TPB is a great all around bar though. 

• Like 1

John McCarter

Check out the Rouge westside barbell they sell.

• Like 2

Martin Gaisser

I've only used the Texas Power Bars and like them very well and have used up to 800lb on them.   I do know Rogue has a Westside bar they sell that I'm sure is high quality too.  Being used to the stiffer bars my whole life the first time I tried a deadlift bar I went ahead and loaded it up and nearly threw my back out.  It had so much flex it drastically changed my start position and threw me off really bad.  Dang rookie mistakes.  Lol.  

Shoggoth
2 hours ago, Martin Gaisser said:

I've only used the Texas Power Bars and like them very well and have used up to 800lb on them.   I do know Rogue has a Westside bar they sell that I'm sure is high quality too.  Being used to the stiffer bars my whole life the first time I tried a deadlift bar I went ahead and loaded it up and nearly threw my back out.  It had so much flex it drastically changed my start position and threw me off really bad.  Dang rookie mistakes.  Lol.  

I've got both the TPB and Rogue Westside bar and they're both very comparable. Centre knurling is a little longer on the Westside bar. I also have a Okie deadlift bar but like you it throws me out of position too much. I have way better pulls with stiffer bars.

• Like 2

Tommy J.

Thanks fellas for the input. I had been eyeing the TPB before i posted. While i do dig that rogue westside bar's wide center knurling, its nearly another c-note higher than the TPB.

i had not considered training with a stiff bar on deads so that a comp bar would add weight on the dead. I dig that idea!

i have a good deadlift bar Eric gave me, but since it is slightly bent, i thought i might need a replacement as i get stronger. 

in all honesty, im probably counting my chickens before they hatch.. its my understanding that i wont even see the benefits of a good deadlift bar till im in the 450# + range. And im not there yet.

good center knurling is a must for me tho.. i have recently been told that i am a high bar squatter, but have a problem with the bar sliding down my back. Im hoping a good sharp center knurl can help fix that problem.

• Like 1

Shoggoth

Another option to look at through Rogue is their Ohio bar.

• Like 1