Jlark27

Grade 8 bolt strength variances

Jlark27

Hi. My second post to the grip board.

Mid last year I got back into bending and somewhere during that time I tried bending a grade 8 bolt ( 1/4×6 ) "FNL" from fastenal that I could barely kink. 

I finally managed to get one closed but it took me over 5 minutes. This was in single irommind pads as well. As a point of reference I could only barely kink a red nail as well.

I picked up 5 more grade 8 "FNL" bolts from fastenal this week and to my surprise I crused them easily. I was assuming it would be much more difficult. The weird part was that it didnt feel springy at all nor was the crush hard. Actually the crush was even easier that crs. Which is opposite of what I've read about graded bolts. 

My question is :

Could the bolts that I got this week be less strong then the ones I got a few years back? Or am I just getting that much stronger ? Same bolt length, width, and grade!

What are the odds that there is a large variance in strength between the batches?

Any light that can be shed on this subject is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

Link to most recent grade 8 bolt bend. Unfortunately I do not have a video of the first batch I bent.

• Like 1

KRC

Generally graded bolts are the most consistent of all the common steel types used for bending, but that doesn't mean you didn't come upon some variance.  

It could also be that once you broke through the mental barrier of having bent the bar, they now seem/are easy.  This phenomenon cannot be underestimated IMO.  

either way congrats! 

• Like 2

Jlark27

Thanks. I hope that's what it is. 

I figured that graded bolts should be pretty consistent. 

I would like to try the next step up in graded bolts. Not sure what that might be .

I cut one to 5" and got it to 20 degrees or so.

Martin Gaisser

When I first started all I bent was graded bolts and never could tell a difference anything like you described.  Think I worked down to like a 4” x 1/4 grade 8 before I moved up.  I always liked to just keep going shorter until the mechanics of it were just too much like a bar so short your knuckles touched before you could get it close enough to crush.  I’m sure there’s different techniques to work around it but I didn’t spend too much time with it.  As far as a harder graded bolt the only ones I ever bent were grade 9 bolts.  The ones I bent were marked F911.  You’ll probably have to order them cause I believe their mainly just used in the aeronautics industry and while they ain’t a fortune they ain’t cheap either. Lol. They’re pretty fun and you’ll love the crush.  To my recollection it’s worse than stainless or drill rod of the same diameter. As a matter of fact I just looked in my stash and have only one left from years ago.  If your interested send me a message with your mailing info and I’ll shoot it in the mail to you. Best of luck with the training. 

• Like 1

Jlark27

7 hours ago, Martin Gaisser said:

When I first started all I bent was graded bolts and never could tell a difference anything like you described.  Think I worked down to like a 4” x 1/4 grade 8 before I moved up.  I always liked to just keep going shorter until the mechanics of it were just too much like a bar so short your knuckles touched before you could get it close enough to crush.  I’m sure there’s different techniques to work around it but I didn’t spend too much time with it.  As far as a harder graded bolt the only ones I ever bent were grade 9 bolts.  The ones I bent were marked F911.  You’ll probably have to order them cause I believe their mainly just used in the aeronautics industry and while they ain’t a fortune they ain’t cheap either. Lol. They’re pretty fun and you’ll love the crush.  To my recollection it’s worse than stainless or drill rod of the same diameter. As a matter of fact I just looked in my stash and have only one left from years ago.  If your interested send me a message with your mailing info and I’ll shoot it in the mail to you. Best of luck with the training. 

Martin, thanks for the info on the next step up from the grade 8 bolts. I remember seeing a topic on f911 bolts and briefly scoured the web in search of some but came had no luck. 

Do you know a specific website that sells them ?

I appreciate the offer. I will message you shortly. 

Thanks again. 

Also, how long did it take you to go from 6" to 5"  and from 5" to 4" on the grade 8 x 1/4?

I've got a 5" to about 20 degrees. 

Danny Young

You can buy F911 bolts at allensfasteners.com

Jlark27

Thanks. I'm planing on ordering some but want to wait until I recieve the f911 bolt that Martin sent me. That way I can get a better idea of what size to order.

Danny Young

Well at 6" by 1/4" they require 535 pounds to bend them at 30 degrees.

Jlark27

Wow! I mean seriously ! I was only expecting to recieve one bolt from you. I don't really know what to say besides THANK YOU!!!

That's a real surprise. I've never even seen a horseshoe in person before. 

I am very grateful for this. And I promise I will give these bars everything I got! Starting with the grade 9.

Thank you Martin! 

Will post videos soon.20180212_161638.thumb.jpg.80cf5d565c73e237c372a19c55a03a76.jpg

• Like 5

Jlark27
31 minutes ago, Danny Young said:

Well at 6" by 1/4" they require 535 pounds to bend them at 30 degrees.

Yes, thats going to be quite a jump from the triangle grade 8. But its still only 1/4" in diameter. I think ill be able to close it. I hope. 

Danny Young
17 hours ago, Jlark27 said:

Yes, thats going to be quite a jump from the triangle grade 8. But its still only 1/4" in diameter. I think ill be able to close it. I hope. 

I've bent a lot of F911 bolts and I can say they're very nasty. They're characteristics are very strong because they will flex to where it will just push you right back. They get worst when you start cutting them to 5.5". I have read they're equivalent to a 6" ironmind red

Martin Gaisser

No problem man.  I'm sure you'll have some good  workouts with all that stuff.  Sorry I didn't have any smaller horseshoes to send you.  Those are not beginner shoes at all so don't get discouraged if you can't budge one of those right off the bat.  You may not even enjoy it but its something I always found fun.  People are a lot more impressed too if they see you bend a horse shoe.  Someone says hey there's the guy that bends those king of all bastards and they'll be like ok.........but you bend a ultra lite rim #3 and they'll be wowed.  LOL.  Oh I forgot to write on those envelopes that all those pieces are from 2010 as it seems the strength has varied a pretty good bit sometimes over the years.

Jlark27

I know what you mean. Bending a horse shoe looks much more intimidating than bending a nail, especially the ones you sent me. Haha. They are huge! I cant wait to try one. I have been watching a few videos of tommy bending the shoes just to get an idea of form.

I noticed the bars looked different. Makes sense they are from a while back.

Just resting up a few days and then I will start bending!

• Like 1

Jlark27
9 hours ago, Danny Young said:

I've bent a lot of F911 bolts and I can say they're very nasty. They're characteristics are very strong because they will flex to where it will just push you right back. They get worst when you start cutting them to 5.5". I have read they're equivalent to a 6" ironmind red

Sounds good to me. I need to get stronger and the grade 8 triangle 5.5 and 6" bolts I bought are only good for warmups. Unless I cut them down.

For me, the crush on drill rod is much tougher then the crush on graded bolts. I'm hoping the grade 9 will be similar in crush to the grade 8's

Danny Young
17 hours ago, Jlark27 said:

Sounds good to me. I need to get stronger and the grade 8 triangle 5.5 and 6" bolts I bought are only good for warmups. Unless I cut them down.

For me, the crush on drill rod is much tougher then the crush on graded bolts. I'm hoping the grade 9 will be similar in crush to the grade 8's

Grade 9 crush portion is much springy than the grade 8s. You'll understand what I am talking about when it that F911. By the way make sure go for it in single IMPs only.

Jlark27
4 hours ago, Danny Young said:

Grade 9 crush portion is much springy than the grade 8s. You'll understand what I am talking about when it that F911. By the way make sure go for it in single IMPs only.

I plan on using only imp for the bend but just out of curiosity, why imp? To feel the bar better?

Jlark27

Okay. So here is my video of the grade 9f11 bolt. It was very easy. Or at least a lot easier then I thought it would be. 

Thanks martin. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try this before purchasing more. 

I went on to try an edgin bolt in ironmind pads and got just a wobble.

Then a red and crushed it. Cert conditions

Lastly I had my first ever attempt at a shinny bastard. It was prettt easy except for the last inch or so of the bend. 

Oddly, the 5/16 drill rod I get from fastenal feels much, much harder then the shinny. Takes me about 3-5 minutes to crush one of those. I wonder what the drill rod would calibrate at. Hmm.. According to http://az-grip.com/calibration.php the 7" drill rod at 5/16 rates between 440lb and 470lb while the shiny rates at 535lb. 

Anyways , I think I'm going to stick to drill rod given thats the toughest for me. I should have the most to gain from that. 

I will upload the videos of each bend separately. 

Thanks again Martin!

• Like 2

Jlark27

Edgin attempt/ fail.  Not that fun to watch

• Like 1

Jlark27

Lastly. Shiny bastard that I work wrong in all my other posts :/

Not to hard.

• Like 2

KRC

Nice work. 

That rating for the shiny I believe is several "generations" of shinys old.  My guess is mid 400s for current batch but remember the rating is most applicable to kink difficulty and shiny is most challenging because of the crush.  

Edgin in IMPs is a very good bend; try it in doubles, and see How That goes.  (Still a good bend). 

Jlark27
13 minutes ago, KRC said:

Nice work. 

That rating for the shiny I believe is several "generations" of shinys old.  My guess is mid 400s for current batch but remember the rating is most applicable to kink difficulty and shiny is most challenging because of the crush.  

Edgin in IMPs is a very good bend; try it in doubles, and see How That goes.  (Still a good bend). 

That makes sense. They are old. From 2010. I didnt even consider about the kink vs. The crush. Good point.

I'm wondering why the drill rod I'm bending at the same measurements is harder on the kink and the crush then the shiny.

And I meant to say that I used both ironmind and suede wraps on the Edgin bend. I could only put a wobble in it.

Buccos1

Nice work on the bends!  An Edgin is a very tough bar in any wraps, but one that will likely come with some time, based on your progression.  In IMPs, a rare bend that not many ever get to.

In my experience, the 5/16" O1 has been overall harder at the same length then everything close to it in diameter (8mm, 21/64).  The new Shinys are definitely a lot easier than some of the older stock.  Still really tough on the crush.