What grip feat impresses you the most?

3 hours ago, cemery said:

Mike Hadland was at the first grip comp I ever went to. It was awesome to watch him bend. And I never saw him talk bad about anybody else, only encourage others. He is a class act guy.

Exactly.  The first time I ever spoke to him was when I matched his 4.5" G8 bend on the board here and as soon as he saw it he messaged me telling me how awesome it was and gave me tons of motivation and encouragement.  Absolutely one of the nicest most sincere people I've ever met in my life.  Hope your doing well Mike. 

9 hours ago, Martin Gaisser said:

This here blows my mind and not because of the fact I've never been able to DU anything but somewhat.  LOL  I'm pretty sure Ben did it too but here's a video of Mike doing it.  Hope its ok me posting this Mike.  That right there is a buttload of hand and wrist strength!!!  Overall strength as well.   :bow

This man is my DU inspiration. I took out these 4 grade 5s doing a similarp thing to what he does. I say bending big stuff is pretty impressive. 

E53D76DB-B180-436D-8EE1-F30FCB1435C7.jpeg

• Like 1

Maybe not to "Grip" guys but to the layman - bending is probably the most impressive thing we do.

• Like 3

Just now, climber511 said:

Maybe not to "Grip" guys but to the layman - bending is probably the most impressive thing we do.

Would you also say it’s probably the most risky and damaging to the body over time? I have not bent anything nor tried as of yet because of all the stories I hear of imbalances, injuries and nerve damage. Is it worth it? 

6 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Oh boy..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Would you also say it’s probably the most risky and damaging to the body over time? I have not bent anything nor tried as of yet because of all the stories I hear of imbalances, injuries and nerve damage. Is it worth it? 

Definitely risky - worth it is up to the individual of course???  The big problem as I see it is that people "test" all the time and seldom "train" it.  I know from talking with the spectators at the various Gripmas Carols - they always talk about the bending stuff we do (and we didn't bend that often).  I think they can relate to it

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Definitely risky - worth it is up to the individual of course???  The big problem as I see it is that people "test" all the time and seldom "train" it.  I know from talking with the spectators at the various Gripmas Carols - they always talk about the bending stuff we do (and we didn't bend that often).  I think they can relate to it

How would you suggest someone train? Bend progressively harder steel... but stay with a certain grade for a while for the tissues to adapt and then test on next level and then move up? Sounds reasonable but we always love to push the envelope now don’t we?

19 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I would totally agree that there is some risk to it but its mostly due to just the feat your doing and that comes with lots of sports.  Luckily I was never injured bending anything but was injured twice, my back and shoulder, from powerlifting.  I kinda see bending similar to powerlifting where your pushing your body to its limit in very risky positions.  Like in my case with my back I was pulling a heavy deadlift and let my lower back round over and in that split second it was over.  I think the two most dangerous styles are the most popular, those being DO and DU because your putting so much stress on your shoulders.  Then if you look at say lifting a blob or a 2 hand pinch, about the only way your gonna injure yourself is a skin tear.  The risk is just less because of the simplicity of the movement with ones body.  Another thing is the test vs train point.  To me every bend was a test, never once did i do light bends for reps just big singles and i either got it or I didn't.  To me though that's the only thing that worked and motivated me to push further and harder.  Smart? Maybe not.  Did it work? Heck yea.  So I totally agree with everything that was said and to me the risk is definitely worth the enjoyment I get out of it.  There's also such a broad range of grip related stuff you'll probably get bored after a while and move on to the next cool thing.  Done that too.  Lol.

41 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

How would you suggest someone train? Bend progressively harder steel... but stay with a certain grade for a while for the tissues to adapt and then test on next level and then move up? Sounds reasonable but we always love to push the envelope now don’t we?

I don't think the way we "should" train bending is any big secret - just use progressive resistance like we should train everything and warm up some before hitting max bends.  Increase resistance gradually as we train our ability to get into and use the proper positions for both safety and mechanical advantages.  Now i don't know many who have done it but that's probably what we "should" do :).  Depending on style the shoulders can get into some less than optimal positions.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Martin Gaisser said:

I would totally agree that there is some risk to it but its mostly due to just the feat your doing and that comes with lots of sports.  Luckily I was never injured bending anything but was injured twice, my back and shoulder, from powerlifting.  I kinda see bending similar to powerlifting where your pushing your body to its limit in very risky positions.  Like in my case with my back I was pulling a heavy deadlift and let my lower back round over and in that split second it was over.  I think the two most dangerous styles are the most popular, those being DO and DU because your putting so much stress on your shoulders.  Then if you look at say lifting a blob or a 2 hand pinch, about the only way your gonna injure yourself is a skin tear.  The risk is just less because of the simplicity of the movement with ones body.  Another thing is the test vs train point.  To me every bend was a test, never once did i do light bends for reps just big singles and i either got it or I didn't.  To me though that's the only thing that worked and motivated me to push further and harder.  Smart? Maybe not.  Did it work? Heck yea.  So I totally agree with everything that was said and to me the risk is definitely worth the enjoyment I get out of it.  There's also such a broad range of grip related stuff you'll probably get bored after a while and move on to the next cool thing.  Done that too.  Lol.

I’m involved in all but bending. Love it all. 

My ability to "hang onto" my wife, who is 14 years younger than me, is probably the most incredible feat in the history of grip.  I mean c'mon... look at me.

F U G L Y

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

My ability to "hang onto" my wife, who is 14 years younger than me, is probably the most incredible feat in the history of grip.  I mean c'mon... look at me.

F U G L Y

Hahaha wow man! Your wife’s 36? God bless you bro!

11 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Hahaha wow man! Your wife’s 36? God bless you bro!

Yup.  We've been married for 11 years.  I'm my own biggest idol for pulling that one off.  :laugh

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Yup.  We've been married for 11 years.  I'm my own biggest idol for pulling that one off.  :laugh

Haha wow! You secured her at 25 and you were 39? Impressive Rindo! 

8 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Haha wow! You secured her at 25 and you were 39? Impressive Rindo! 

23- 37 when we started dating.  ;)

• Like 1

Of course, to be perfectly honest, she was more mature at 23 than I am now at 50.  :laugh

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Of course, to be perfectly honest, she was more mature at 23 than I am now at 50.  :laugh

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

23- 37 when we started dating.  ;)

Crazy man! Haha

Overhand bending is hard to injure yourself if you stay with single wraps because its pain limited anyway by your index fingers. If it doesnt move after about 5 seconds, its not going to. Stop and figure out what's next.

Underhand never felt safe to me, hurt myself pretty quickly and haven't gone back to it again. Then again, some people probably feel that way about overhand, just depends on body mechanics.

Reverse is hard to injure yourself also, power limited so again if it doesn't move it doesn't move.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Overhand bending is hard to injure yourself if you stay with single wraps because its pain limited anyway by your index fingers. If it doesnt move after about 5 seconds, its not going to. Stop and figure out what's next.

Underhand never felt safe to me, hurt myself pretty quickly and haven't gone back to it again. Then again, some people probably feel that way about overhand, just depends on body mechanics.

Reverse is hard to injure yourself also, power limited so again if it doesn't move it doesn't move.

If it doesn't move... you go ape $#!t until it does.  If it still doesn't move, you come back later that day and make it move.  If that doesn't work, you give it your best the next morning. If it doesn't move then, you lose your mind on it the next day... rinse... repeat.  It will move if you don't stop.  Either it moves or you destroy yourself trying.

That is a steel bender.  Everyone else is just a hobbyist. No offense.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 5

Then again, I probably took 10 years off my life doing the above.  Lol.  At least moving like a normal human for those last 10.  Wouldn't change a thing. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, like the feeling of making an immovable piece of steel bend to your will.  I still have a couple of my hardest shoes sitting on my desk at work to remind me to throw caution to the wind when times are tough.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 4

Sounds about right, no offense taken. I hit a wall bending due to upper body strength and started tearing cards, couldn't do both at the same time along with usual grip stuff. Been wanting to pick it back up again.

But on the thread topic, to someone who isn't familiar a grade 8 bolt is not much more impressive than a grade 2 bolt so bending anything over 1/4" is good I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wobbler said:

I love all three forms. But my heart lies with underhand.  Overhand i lack flexibility. As of now i bend lighter stuff little over mid chest. This super slow progress

Edited by KapMan

On 2/9/2018 at 4:56 PM, climber511 said:

Yeah like trying to train reverse bending one time before grip contest… My elbows were sore for 3 to 4 weeks after Gripmas last year

19 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Yeah like trying to train reverse bending one time before grip contest… My elbows were sore for 3 to 4 weeks after Gripmas last year

I was showing a buddy after arm wrestling practice some bends and went to do a gr8 reverse which was fairly easy for me and tore up a bunch of stuff in my elbow. About 4-5 years later it feels normal again. 

1 hour ago, Shoggoth said:

I was showing a buddy after arm wrestling practice some bends and went to do a gr8 reverse which was fairly easy for me and tore up a bunch of stuff in my elbow. About 4-5 years later it feels normal again. 

That alone right there is enough for me to stay away from bending. I enjoy to many other Grip related things then to have it ruined by one  move. I would be just the guy to have that same thing happen.