What grip feat impresses you the most?

Hey gripsters. I was thinking about Grip feats this morning and what is the most impressive/hardest. The most impressive grip feats to me are wide  pinch block weights. They don’t look like much until you actually try them and get a feel for them. I know these feats are limited by hand size as to how big a block you can handle.... but the really big blobs are impressive.

The average person will look at a block weight and think...”Oh, big deal!” “Anyone can do that”. It is that way with a lot of grip related toys. I also hate to train pinch so I am impressed with those that actually do and succeed. 

So what about you guys? Let’s hear about your favorite/hardest and most impressive feats to you. And not necessarily anything you’ve done.

Joe

Edited by Guest

I'm not overly impressed by any "one" type of grip strength more than any other.  Grippers - pinch - fat bar - sledges - bending etc.  But show me a guy who can put it all together in a huge Medley that has "everything" in it and I'll show you someone with a well rounded set of wrists and hands.  That's what impresses me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

I'm not overly impressed by any "one" type of grip strength more than any other.  Grippers - pinch - fat bar - sledges - bending etc.  But show me a guy who can put it all together in a huge Medley that has "everything" in it and I'll show you someone with a well rounded set of wrists and hands.  That's what impresses me.

Your a “total package” kind of guy! Yes it’s great to “have it all”. It’s very common to be lacking in one aspect or another. Too have paramount  thick bar, wrist, pinch and crush is ideal.

Plate pinching 2 20k, 2 45's and above is the best in my book.

Edited by Kluv#0

6 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Your a “total package” kind of guy! Yes it’s great to “have it all”. It’s very common to be lacking in one aspect or another. To have paramount  thick bar, wrist, pinch and crush is ideal.

I think a degree of "balance" really helps prevent injury as well.  Those who specialize too much seem to always be injured.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I think a degree of "balance" really helps prevent injury as well.  Those who specialize too much seem to always be injured.

Good point. Gotta work every aspect of zee Grip! 

Brian Shaw Lifting Gigantor Blob was pretty darn impressive. I think there are a lot of things that people don't understand the difficulty of them until they try them, esp people that aren't familiar with grip lifts. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Brian Shaw Lifting Gigantor Blob was pretty darn impressive. I think there are a lot of things that people don't understand the difficulty of them until they try them, esp people that aren't familiar with grip lifts. 

That’s exactly my sentiment on that! They are so deceptive! You look at it and don’t respect it... until one grabs it.... and it stays glued to the ground.... like an Excalibur sword or Thor’s hammer in a stone! RESPECT THE BLOCK!

Definitely block weights.

No other lift can feel so heavy while being so light. Hardest way to lift 50 lbs (besides hammers).

It's so approachable, any Joe Schmo can confidently walk up to it and become instantly humbled. You don't see that with a 170 lb Inch DB, 200 lb Euro, or 300+ axle.

Edited by DAVE101

12 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

Definitely block weights.

No other lift can feel so heavy while being so light. Hardest way to lift 50 lbs (besides hammers).

It's so approachable, any Joe Schmo can confidently walk up to it and become instantly humbled. You don't see that with a 170 lb Inch DB, 200 lb Euro, or 300+ axle.

I also think that if you’re good at block weights... chances are you’re good at other aspects of grip. Not so if you’re  good with grippers or thick bar. Block weights seem to have a lot of carryover.

Of those I've seen.

COC#4 (or equivalent gripper) close
Reverse bend Red nail (or equivalent steel bar)
20 kg plate curl

Hand size neutral and extremely impressive!

One video that just shocked the heck outta me was an informal video of Kody, I think after Nationals, absolutely toying with 2x35s.  He was flipping them in a circle and catching them, one hand of course.  I'll look for the video, but I have not seen it since the one time I saw it (great sentence).  That is one of the most impressive grip things I've ever seen anyone do. 

Edit: can't find it.  @climber511 @Jedd Johnson  @kodyburns  Tagging you guys in case you remember who took the vid.

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Of those I've seen.

COC#4 (or equivalent gripper) close
Reverse bend Red nail (or equivalent steel bar)
20 kg plate curl

Hand size neutral and extremely impressive!

Yes!!! Ive done two and will never do the third!!

5 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

Yes!!! Ive done two and will never do the third!!

Red Reverse - Done

Cut Red Reverse - Done

COC #4 - done in a choker to parallel (Heath's 195+ #4) - so that's a no :) kind of

Plate Curl a 45# plate - Nope, not gonna happen

Edited by climber511

50+lb blob for sure, takes so long to develop that type of strength in that position. And of course, the smaller hands the more impresssive it is.

Pinching two 45's, bonus points if they are deep dish.

Rafter pullups

Maybe I'm just a little obsessed with pinch lately, but other than the inch, most of the "can you pick it up or not" fixed object feats are pinch.

• Like 1

Strict 20# sledge lever. Not really a grip feat but hand size isn’t playing as big of a role as some of the other feats. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

Strict 20# sledge lever. Not really a grip feat but hand size isn’t playing as big of a role as some of the other feats. 

I would say it’s a grip feat. Wrist is part of the Grip game. And you have to have the strength to grip the hammer as you’re levering. 

16 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I would say it’s a grip feat. Wrist is part of the Grip game. And you have to have the strength to grip the hammer as you’re levering. 

Yes everything that is isolated from the elbow and down is grip as far as I see it.

This here blows my mind and not because of the fact I've never been able to DU anything but somewhat.  LOL  I'm pretty sure Ben did it too but here's a video of Mike doing it.  Hope its ok me posting this Mike.  That right there is a buttload of hand and wrist strength!!!  Overall strength as well.   :bow

• Like 4

Mike Hadland was at the first grip comp I ever went to. It was awesome to watch him bend. And I never saw him talk bad about anybody else, only encourage others. He is a class act guy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cemery said:

Mike Hadland was at the first grip comp I ever went to. It was awesome to watch him bend. And I never saw him talk bad about anybody else, only encourage others. He is a class act guy.

That’s the way to be!

4 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Hand strength would be more in line with my thinking. As part of grip sport it’s there. 

BIG gripper crushes, probably because those are current goals?

rafter pull ups never fail to drop my jaw, and while not really a grip thing, 1 arm chins ups also blow my mind.

big sledge levers, because they're so damn deceptive.