What is support grip?

Primitivebeasty

In the FAQ post I see crushing and I see pinching, but reading some other posts on the board I see support grip mentioned. I'm having a hard time working out what it is exactly. Is it a third type of grip strength, a subtype of one or the other, kind of a combination? 

Thank you to anyone who can help clarify this for me.

Edited by Primitivebeasty
Spelling

Support grip has traditionally been used to describe anything that involves thick bar training.  Axle, rolling DL handles, etc.

Support grip is a static grip you have when you're gripping on to a bar, when doing deadlift and rows, pull-ups etc. In grip sport that is often done with a thicker bar than standard. Usually starting from 50 mm (2") and thicker. Pinching, when done with solid objects is also a form of support grip.

• Like 1

Support grip is generally categorized as thickbar type, as far as my understanding

• Like 1

Support is where the weight is acting to open your hand and you have to resist, thick bar, tip tester, stirrip are support grip. It's close but slightly different from pinch, which most other implements fall into

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies!

So it sounds like between pinch and crush, pinch grip ability translates better into support grip ability, and vice versa?

Just now, Primitivebeasty said:

So it sounds like between pinch and crush, pinch grip ability translates better into support grip ability, and vice versa?

That's my thinking. I have decent pinch and support but my crush is basically non-existent

22 minutes ago, Primitivebeasty said:

Grip strength is extremely specific. It's not like deadlift and squat or press and bench press.

Different grip exercises will have some carry-over to others but not so much. If you want to build a stronger grip to use in your real life when working then it totally depends on what you intend to to. Grippers will be good if you're going to use pliers but pinch will be better if you want to be better at carry stuff around.

I have found that grippers have very limited carry-over to thick bar and basically no carry-over at all to pinch. But that's just for me, it might be different for others.

10 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Grip strength is extremely specific. It's not like deadlift and squat or press and bench press.

Different grip exercises will have some carry-over to others but not so much. If you want to build a stronger grip to use in your real life when working then it totally depends on what you intend to to. Grippers will be good if you're going to use pliers but pinch will be better if you want to be better at carry stuff around.

I have found that grippers have very limited carry-over to thick bar and basically no carry-over at all to pinch. But that's just for me, it might be different for others.

Thank you, that's just what I needed!

14 hours ago, KapMan said:

Support grip; is a group of people that supports your addiction to grip. 

Good one.

22 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Support is where the weight is acting to open your hand and you have to resist, thick bar, tip tester, stirrip are support grip. It's close but slightly different from pinch, which most other implements fall into

Climber028,

Thank You - Your explanation was most helpful

• Like 1