First contest finally, 1st place left hand!

Jeff Parker

Finally did my first armwrestling contest over the weekend.  It was in Cadillac Michigan at the Wexford Civic Center during the North American Snow Fest.

I just barely made weight for the 198 class, I had dieted all week and entered the Amateur division.  Got some coaching and advice from some veteran pullers before the contest.  I think there were around 50 competitors but only 4 in my weight class for the amateur division.  I got 1st place left handed and 3rd right.  Right hand was first up and I made all my mistakes then.  By the time I did left I learned some.  My first match I even setup and didn't notice my shirts was under my elbow on the pad (those who haven't competed in grip with me might not know I'm 6'5" so easy for that to happen) and elbow fouled when I tried to get it out from under my elbow in the middle of the match. 

I really enjoyed it and am interested to pursue it and see where it takes me.  Got lots of new training ideas and met some people I hope to get table time with.  Arms are sore still with that deep down soreness that only seems to come from armwrestling.

Also got the coolest trophy I have ever won, a 17lb steel hammer that looks a bit like Thor's hammer.  It's almost 2 feet tall and has a 2" thick 18" long handle so it's great for levering movements!

IMG_2383.JPG

• Like 7

Great start and a nice trophy!

Nice job!  Great Hammer!

That's awesome Jeff, congratulations man!  I didn't know you were into arm wrestling,  have you been pulling with Jake?  I remember he's done some arm wrestling.

Thanks Frank

Fall of 2016 I sold almost all my grip stuff and started armwrestling.  Got injured in the spring trying to go too heavy on wrist curls and side pressure and had to take off around 5 months.  This fall I was able to get full swing back into it.  I've trained with Jake a few times but have not seen or heard from him in probably over a year now, right after he had his kid, not sure what he's up to.  My wife's cousin was pulling with me once a week for awhile but he's just going to do powerlifting now.  

I am having a lot of fun with it.  I enjoyed my time in grip, I think I did my first contest in 2003 and probably did 20 contests in around 12 years so it was just time for a change.

On 2/5/2018 at 11:55 PM, Jeff Parker said:

Finally did my first armwrestling contest over the weekend.  It was in Cadillac Michigan at the Wexford Civic Center during the North American Snow Fest.

I just barely made weight for the 198 class, I had dieted all week and entered the Amateur division.  Got some coaching and advice from some veteran pullers before the contest.  I think there were around 50 competitors but only 4 in my weight class for the amateur division.  I got 1st place left handed and 3rd right.  Right hand was first up and I made all my mistakes then.  By the time I did left I learned some.  My first match I even setup and didn't notice my shirts was under my elbow on the pad (those who haven't competed in grip with me might not know I'm 6'5" so easy for that to happen) and elbow fouled when I tried to get it out from under my elbow in the middle of the match. 

I really enjoyed it and am interested to pursue it and see where it takes me.  Got lots of new training ideas and met some people I hope to get table time with.  Arms are sore still with that deep down soreness that only seems to come from armwrestling.

Also got the coolest trophy I have ever won, a 17lb steel hammer that looks a bit like Thor's hammer.  It's almost 2 feet tall and has a 2" thick 18" long handle so it's great for levering movements!

IMG_2383.JPG

Dude congratulations! And I LOVE THAT HAMMER BROTHER! That is a very cool trophy! A useable trophy! 

• 2 weeks later...

Great start, Jeff! I’m sure you’re only going to get tougher to beat with your height and strength!

Thanks again guys.

Yes, trophy is great, it's hanging in my gym and gets taken off the wall pretty much every training session for some pronation training

• 2 weeks later...