The Last Gripmas Carol

climber511

I would absolutely love to get up to good ole Ohio for this one. Praying it's God's will I can make it!! Any sweeter place to cert a gripper than at Gripmas?? I can't think of any... i will be preparing even harder. Hope to be there!!

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jvance said:

I would absolutely love to get up to good ole Ohio for this one. Praying it's God's will I can make it!! Any sweeter place to cert a gripper than at Gripmas?? I can't think of any... i will be preparing even harder. Hope to be there!!

Make it happen!  Fingers crossed - haven't seen you for too long.

• Like 1

Seriously considering this one... Did I miss the events list, or is it not finalized? Preliminary list?

• Like 1

I've been saying for years that I was going to make it up there one day, looks like this will be my last chance.  Way too soon to commit to anything, especially with wrestling season cranking up around that time.  Hopefully I'll have the weekend clear and a little extra change in my pocket.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, wobbler said:

Seriously considering this one... Did I miss the events list, or is it not finalized? Preliminary list?

The events are numerous to say the least.

Pretty much everything on the NAGS Top 50 list - FBBC List - Barrel Strength Leaderboards list - hopefully several of the Iron Mind items - and perhaps a few of David Horne's items.  Rules will match up with each organizations equipment rules with NAGS rules as the default.  I am typing up the entire format (pretty complex) and will post it before long.  It will consist of a traditional 3 event contest (if you choose to enter this part) and a sort of "Record Breaker Contest" where you can make or advance your position on any of the various lists with each piece of equipment.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, wobbler said:

The events are numerous to say the least.

Pretty much everything on the NAGS Top 50 list - FBBC List - Barrel Strength Leaderboards list - hopefully several of the Iron Mind items - and perhaps a few of David Horne's items.  Rules will match up with each organizations equipment rules with NAGS rules as the default.  I am typing up the entire format (pretty complex) and will post it before long.  It will consist of a traditional 3 event contest (if you choose to enter this part) and a sort of "Record Breaker Contest" where you can make or advance your position on any of the various lists with each piece of equipment.

• Like 1

Sounds awesome, definitely need to get some more names and numbers on the NAGS list because when I check to see where I stack up, it can't be right.

Will we need to do the NAGS qualifying stuff first?

28 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Sounds awesome, definitely need to get some more names and numbers on the NAGS list because when I check to see where I stack up, it can't be right.

Will we need to do the NAGS qualifying stuff first?

No qualifiers necessary.  Open to all - just like every Gripmas has been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2018 at 12:52 PM, climber511 said:

Crap - I never even thought about Mike - I'll get a hold of him.

Hey Chris. Were you able to get in touch with Randy to set up those ironmind certs at gripmas?

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Hey Chris. Were you able to get in touch with Randy to set up those ironmind certs at gripmas?

Not Randall personally but they asked me to contact them in Sept or Oct  with my request.  If anyone is wanting to cert at Gripmas - it may not hurt to reach out to IronMind and talk to them about doing it at the contest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

Not Randall personally but they asked me to contact them in Sept or Oct  with my request.  If anyone is wanting to cert at Gripmas - it may not hurt to reach out to IronMind and talk to them about doing it at the contest.

Awesome. Thanks. I'll probably be going for it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, climber511 said:

Thanks for the info, I am wanting to cert as well.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

The Last Gripmas Carol

What’s going on?

For my last hurrah I want to keep the Gripmas tradition of doing something different.  I think this format will certainly cover that.  What events will be contested?  It might be easier to list what “isn’t” really.

·       First thing will be any “certs” that have been set up.  I have not set this up through IM yet but will be talking to IM in September about it.  I hope to offer certs thru IM – FBBC – Barrel Strength etc.  If OKed you will have to go through the regular process for each cert through the company itself but asking for your judge to be at Gripmas (several of those I think will be attending have judged for IM in the past – I can furnish a list of names later on).  I want this first so everyone will be able to watch and cheer them on.

·       Next there will be a traditional contest format available – optional but not mandatory – consisting of 20 mm block set grippers using the NAGS gripper set – Two hand pinch on the Euro setup by David Horne – then Two Hand Iron Mind Axle dead lift.  This format is the one that gives everyone a chance to make an “Elite” total or compete in a traditional contest format.  You can do this with or without doing the rest of the events.  This could take a while even with multiple set ups.

·       Then comes the “Different”.  I’m calling this part the “Listmas Carol”.  Most (at least those items I can beg or borrow) items on the NAGS Top 50 Lists – the FBBC lists – the Barrel Strength Leader Board lists – and any other list I can set up an agreement with.  You can do both the “contest” and/or one or all of these list events as you choose or you can do one OR the other.  Any result set in the contest portion will of course also effect any of those List Items".  All of these I can find the event tools for will be available so that

1.     If you are not on a list you will have the opportunity to make a position there.

2.     If you are on a list you will have the opportunity to advance your position on the list.

3.     If you have changed weight classes – you can make that portion of the list.

4.     If you have become eligible for a Masters Class or changed your Masters class age bracket or weight class – you can make those lists.  You will need to offer proof of your age.

5.     You will have the opportunity to set a World Record for any events in which you are able to do so on the various lists.

6.     If there is interest in “bending” I will set a section up for that also.  I will need to know in advance if anyone is interested and the general steel needed.  This will not be a separate “competition”.

7.     Any of the “Feats of grip strength” listed on the Gripboard may also be done here with witnesses and video to be judged under their rules.

This is probably going to be a very long day if you choose to make it so.  Depending on how many people sign up – I plan to have multiple set ups for Euro and Axle at the least.  So come and hang out - or compete in the "contest - or any one or more of the list items available.

I’m going to need an awful lot of help from everyone – it’s impossible for me to be everywhere at once with a format like this.  I hope there will be a lot of experienced people who can pitch in and act as judges.  I think I have loaders covered with the local football team members but I do hope you will help check their loading as needed.  I think I can find enough score keepers also but may ask people to chip in at times on different list events.

Any Questions - let’s get them all worked out now and not wait until the last minute.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, climber511 said:

·       20 mm block set grippers  Two hand pinch on the Euro setup Two Hand Iron Mind Axle dead lift.

Yay!

Edited by Anthony C.
  • Like 1

Nice this'll be my first time with a lot of implements. Super psyched for this comp.

Very cool Chris. I'll be there. 

Chris, I'm hoping to make it out to this if we can get our rental house sold (on the market about 5 weeks now), or I can scrounge up some money for airfare. Either way would love to come out for a visit and hope I can make it happen. Probably will be fairly untrained though, been in semi-retirement mode for a few months now and don't have the bug right now to train. Will keep in touch.

- Aaron

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 8:47 AM, climber511 said:

This is probably going to be a very long day if you choose to make it so.  Depending on how many people sign up – I plan to have multiple set ups for Euro and Axle at the least.  So come and hang out - or compete in the "contest - or any one or more of the list items available.

This might seem obvious, but I would like to confirm,
So there will NOT be a Chris Rice Medley at this Gripmas?

1 hour ago, richcottrell said:

This might seem obvious, but I would like to confirm,
So there will NOT be a Chris Rice Medley at this Gripmas?

Sorry - but no Medley :)

• Sad 1

Requirements are pretty simple.  Fill out the entry form (coming soon) - pay the entry fee.  And show up the day of the contest ready to go.  Done!

Seriously there really aren't any requirements - suggested or otherwise - other than the willingness to try.  Gripmas is not like Nationals - it has no minimum lifts needed to compete.  Do "your" best - that's all anyone can do.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

How come there is no medley this year? I can't imagine a Gripmas without one.  It's like going to the county fair that doesn't have a demolition derby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2018 at 7:08 PM, Leonard_Washington said:

How come there is no medley this year? I can't imagine a Gripmas without one.  It's like going to the county fair that doesn't have a demolition derby.

Surprises have happened at Gripmas before 

On 8/16/2018 at 11:52 PM, climber511 said:

Requirements are pretty simple.  Fill out the entry form (coming soon) - pay the entry fee.  And show up the day of the contest ready to go.  Done!

Seriously there really aren't any requirements - suggested or otherwise - other than the willingness to try.  Gripmas is not like Nationals - it has no minimum lifts needed to compete.  Do "your" best - that's all anyone can do.

Any word on this entry form?