The Last Gripmas Carol

climber511

Jedd has been hosting since 2004 I believe. I did BFGS in 2003 and then he took the reins. But Jedd has hosted many different contests under many different names. How long has Gripmas been running under the name Gripmas?

I can completely understand you wanting to get out. I am so busy with my 4 kids and all of their athletics and my own training at the ripe old age of 41 that I have zero desire to compete. It is so much fun watching my 8-year olds lift, play football, and wrestle. They have all certainly consumed my life and I am happy to get 90 minutes to beat myself up four times a week! Add to it working and working on my graduate degree for four to five hours everyday and I do not have much time for much else.

I have been training grip very hard. The only gripper device I have is an adjustable RB, but it is all I need. I have a Saxon pinch block that Richard Sorin made for me, my Climber curl and Wrist Thingy, a solid steel 75 lbs. non-knurled axle, a plate curl device from Ryan Pitts, and some other odds and ends, but it is more than enough to get some good grip work in while between sets. Plus my kids can use all of it as well except the axle bar. Only Casey can use that! LOL!

-Rick

2 minutes ago, Rick Walker said:

Jedd has been hosting since 2004 I believe. I did BFGS in 2003 and then he took the reins. But Jedd has hosted many different contests under many different names. How long has Gripmas been running under the name Gripmas?

I can completely understand you wanting to get out. I am so busy with my 4 kids and all of their athletics and my own training at the ripe old age of 41 that I have zero desire to compete. It is so much fun watching my 8-year olds lift, play football, and wrestle. They have all certainly consumed my life and I am happy to get 90 minutes to beat myself up four times a week! Add to it working and working on my graduate degree for four to five hours everyday and I do not have much time for much else.

I have been training grip very hard. The only gripper device I have is an adjustable RB, but it is all I need. I have a Saxon pinch block that Richard Sorin made for me, my Climber curl and Wrist Thingy, a solid steel 75 lbs. non-knurled axle, a plate curl device from Ryan Pitts, and some other odds and ends, but it is more than enough to get some good grip work in while between sets. Plus my kids can use all of it as well except the axle bar. Only Casey can use that! LOL!

-Rick

The basics and a strong work ethic is all one needs for sure! 👍🏻

36 minutes ago, Rick Walker said:

-Rick

My first Gripmas was 2003 - not really a contest but more of a Get Together.  04 was an informal "contest" with just some friends etc.  05 was an actual "contest" but still a get together as well..  So the name has been in use for 15 years this year.

• Like 4

Please bring any items on the Top 50 lists that you have - especially any of the David Horne items.  Please post here what you have that you can bring.  Thank You!

40 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Kristy is sending out some CPW giveaways today, Chris!

Thank you!!!    Disappointed you aren't able to be here in person.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

Thank you!!!    Disappointed you aren't able to be here in person.

For a split second, I thought it would come together even if I wasn't in contest form.  I have 18 (!!!) days of time off that I have to still use up this year.  And there were only a few blackout dates, Xmas, etc.  But I couldn't string together the weekend of Gripmas in a way that made sense.  :pinch  At least I did once make it to your fabled gym that year at Nationals :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Randall Strossen just emailed me - He is sending Gift Cards  for best IM Hub - Block - and Rolling thunder performances.  So is anyone bring an IM Block and Hub?  I know we have a new RT coming.  I know lots of people have told me they are bringing items but I can't remember who said what?

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Randall Strossen just emailed me - He is sending Gift Cards  for best IM Hub - Block - and Rolling thunder performances.  So is anyone bring an IM Block and Hub?  I know we have a new RT coming.  I know lots of people have told me they are bringing items but I can't remember who said what?

I have a brand new rolling thunder and a close to new hub and block.  Not PR material - slick, snot, etc. - but will bring one or all if you need me to.

8 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I have a brand new rolling thunder and a close to new hub and block.  Not PR material - slick, snot, etc. - but will bring one or all if you need me to.

Thanks but I think I have those items covered now!

• Like 1

I just read through the whole thread - I thought I had posted this but maybe not - There Will Be a Gripmas Medley this year

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I just read through the whole thread - I thought I had posted this but maybe not - There Will Be a Gripmas Medley this year

Yesss !!

• Like 3

I was wondering what the gym looked like and found this online artical which showed the outside for everyone driving in, as well as a few interior photos:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/amp/873652001

• Like 3

What's the latest you imagine this wrapping up by? I'm wondering if it'll be a good idea to book a room for Saturday night as well (for those that are driving multiple hours).

Hooray for Medley! That's done separately from the 3 event comp?

Dave - I honestly have no idea how long this might run.  Over 30 people - a 3 event contest - Top 50 list items - 3 different companies lists - Medley - a few certs - I just don't know.  I've had people still out in my garage at 11 just playing around with just half as many people but the contest had been over for hours.  I'm doing Grippers 2 at a time - 2 Euros - and 2 axles - I'm trying to hurry things along but there's a lot going on.  It kind of depends on what all you want to try I guess.  If you choose one or two Top 50 items it will be much quicker than me for example - who wants to try as many as I can.   If you want to do it all I'd figure on a hotel.  

yo

Putting on a contest at a location not your home gym (garage) is a whole new experience for me.  Before - everything (all the things you never think about) are always a few steps away.  I just remembered I need to have alcohol to clean blood off the equipment for example.  Can't use the gyms weights (haven't been weighed) so have to haul all mine down there.  And the list goes on and on - I just hope I don't forget anything major.  As the pile in the garage looks right now it will take more than a couple van and pickup loads to move all this "stuff"  :).  And I can't move anything in until after 7PM Friday.  I may be too tired to move come Saturday LOL.  Thankfully I am supposed to have quite a bit of help.  

Nate Brous just called me, and told me he would be your slave labor for the "Night Before Gripmas".  

Someplace I have the weight capacity for my car, but I think i am good for 1500-2000lbs... how many miles from home is the gym?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, richcottrell said:

Nate Brous just called me, and told me he would be your slave labor for the "Night Before Gripmas". 

Sseriously Chris...we got a ton of able willing bodies...should go quicker than expected.

I probably just missed this.... what time is the contest starting?  My wife and I are driving in on Friday and might be bringing 3 miniature gripsters with us.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

I probably just missed this.... what time is the contest starting?  My wife and I are driving in on Friday and might be bringing 3 miniature gripsters with us.   

Weigh ins start Saturday at 8 am. 

A big request.  There will be quite a few people bringing heavy equipment Saturday morning to unload - all the parking is out back at the gym - please leave a path big enough for people to drive up next to the door to unload.  I will have a dolly for things like the Inch Dumbbells etc so come inside and get it before carrying or rolling it across the parking lot.  You can park in the lot next door and at the building behind the gym also - just don't block any doors.  The gym is not all that big so please don't bring in any more stuff than you have to - it's going to be cramped no matter what we do.  

Other important information.  The Main Street bridge is being replaced so getting to my "house" is a different route than usual.  When you come into town on State Rt 93 - go one more exit south on the 4 lane - you will see Schrivers Pharmacy off to the left.  You will take a left off 93 and immediate right onto Industrial Drive (may be called South Buckeye on your GPS) - follow this around until it Ts (slow WAY down for the railroad tracks) and turn left - go until it Ts again and turn left again.  My house will be on the right.  GPS shouldn't have any trouble after you turn off 93 at Schrivers.  If you don't have my cell phone number please PM me for it.    

Getting to the Gym is easy.  Left off 93 at Main St - go past the filling station and the gym is on the left on the corner.  Dark gray or blackish brick building.  Turn left at the corner and come to the back.  GPS should bring you right to it.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, richcottrell said:

Someplace I have the weight capacity for my car, but I think i am good for 1500-2000lbs... how many miles from home is the gym?

Gym is about a mile from my house the way we have to go.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:16 AM, richcottrell said:

Gym is about a mile from my house the way we have to go.

For those helping move stuff maybe plan to be at my house around 6:30 or so.

Is someone Bringing a "Standard" 172# inch bell? or Should I grab a couple of those too? 

Also I'm bringing down the F350 with only about 3000# of gear so I can help Friday move things over to the gym if needed. 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1