2018 February - Hands-on Grip Games - Joe Sullivan

Good morning all, 

Hands on grip games was held this weekend Saturday, February 3, 2018 This is my second grip competition. It was held in Wysox Pennsylvania and moderated by Lucas Raymond and Jedd Johnson whom I am proud to call my friends,  if it weren’t for finding their grip videos a little over 2 years ago by chance I would never have gotten involved in strength sports again post back and neck fusion. Thanks guys!

The contest had a wonderful turnout. I believe it was 24 total competitors. It was a great atmosphere with everyone pushing each other with a lot of good hearted ribbing  from “Big John Studd Stepien”. The competition was fierce with a lot of strong grip  monsters in attendance with Jedd, Luke, John and of course Mike Rinderle! Big Ryan Thomas made the ride down from Syracuse and the man with many comps under his belt Chris “Tank” Andrade (whom also appears to be a grip stat encyclopedia)and his protege Don Smitely! Tanks amazing gripping son was also in attendance! Making his first IMPRESSIVE appearance in a grip contest is arm wrestling champ Storm Chellino! He actually blew in like a tornado! His grip performance was almost as impressive as his humble and gracious demeanor! Looking to grip vets for tips and strategy to maximize his success. World class arm wrestler, grip and attitude! Taking the record for inch pinch in the process wasn’t too shabby either!

My man Luke blew it away on the LBH and pinch block curl taking the records for the two if I am not miataken. That was coming back after not feeling so well at the start of the competition! Way to come back and kill it  my man!

Jedd was Jedd... what can I say? Comes in and kills it everywhere he goes. Taking the whole competition whether events suit him or not, injured or not! Way to go brother!

I was very impressed with John Stepien. He was the eccentric addition to this shin-dig. His self deprecation of his strength ability and how he thinks he’s he “most hated man in grip” was entertaining. The guy is an absolute beast! His potential is unreal and I was blown away by how casually he puts away the big numbers! Way to go Big John Studd!  

Then there was Mike RINDO Rinderle making his way up from Maryland! The always injured Mike is a warrior! He comes and performs well all the time regardless of pain or distance! He is an inspiration to us all to keep persevering and not lay down and die because we have some pain! He’s one funny guy as well!

As for my performance, I was happy to be in the top 5 with these beasts for my second competition. I wish I would have shot higher on napalms nightmare as my last attempt at 436 felt like I could have held it forever. Was also disappointed at topping at 188 on LBH having done 213 in the gym... but hey I did my best and we never know how things turn out in competition settings. I came, had fun and got 2nd in my weight class behind Jedd Johnson and 5th overall. Not a bad day after all! 

Good job to everyone else on their participation and performance! It was a long 8 hours! Hope to se you all again in the future!

Joe Sullivan

Edited by Guest

Always a pleasure joe!! It is a fickle thing lifting in a contest versus practice with down time between events and lifts and trying to stay up for the 6-8 hours of lifting is hard. 

5 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Always a pleasure joe!! It is a fickle thing lifting in a contest versus practice with down time between events and lifts and trying to stay up for the 6-8 hours of lifting is hard. 

Absolutely man! I had a great time and did ok in the process! Can’t wait for the Philly expo!

1 hour ago, riccardomagni said:

Great write up.  I love your enthusiasm!!

See you soon!

Thanks brother! I truly love the game of Grip and wish to become a major player God willing! 

Edited by Guest