2018 February - Hands On Grip Games 2018 - John Stepien

JStepien

I haven't competed in grip, since King King 2016. I decided about to compete in this one over a month ago. Under my training log, I've put some effort in training for the grip games or pretty boy luke open as I called it... It's a joke, calm down...

Took a 3 hour drive from Central New Jersey to middle of Pennsylvania. I was feeling strong on the way up. Another side note, I only have experience in 1 out of the 5 events listed. So, my only goal was to 2 hand pinch 100 kg/220 lbs. The rest of them, I guess, I was gonna wing it... I weighed in at 301 lbs, fiance been cooking a lot of food again... 120+K for life!!!

First event was the 2 hand pinch. I did some work with my makeshift euro aka the poor man's euro. My plan was to open around 200 lbs. But, my PR was 202 lbs, brought a lot of doubt to my mind. Did some warm ups, around 180 lbs felt easy. Hit my opener & 2nd attempt, then 3rd was 220.56... I missed on the 3rd, left hand slipped. 4th attempt, I got that weight & goal was achieved. Felt good, on to the next event...

2" napalms nightmare, everyone was saying this was an event for me. Again, unfamiliar with the device, asked questions on where I should start out with. Jedd & Luke said around 450 lbs... WHAT?!?!? 450???... I guess, they know best... I believe my 1st attempt was around 440 lbs, easy... 460 easy... 480 easy... Thinking, I can get 500!... Bar was load at 501.something... Went up easy & right on the down command... my left hand slipped... Close only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades... Side note, the lift hurt my eyeballs... No, I'm serious, it hurt my eyeballs... Also, it took a lot out of me, tried to fuel up on peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.

3rd was little big horn... Never tried it, but on v bar, I'm not bad at. But, only thing different was I used my left hand. On v bar, I used my right. Ended up with 188.55.

Inch pinch was next, actually was a fun event. Got 78.33 lbs, kind of a surprise to me. I didn't think, I would perform well in this one...

Pinch block curl, to be honest, I had the idea to just get 4 attempts in, don't care about the weight. Plus, I don't curl all the time & I have my bicep issues. Also, the strict rules having your butt, shoulder, & head on the wall while curling the block up & controlling it down. I got 35.13, I guess not bad for a guy who never tried this before...

Won my weight class, probably, 3rd or 4th overall...

It was a good time, great seeing the grip guys again. Always fun, joking with guys like Jedd especially during the napalms nightmare... Also, meeting new guys like Mighty Joe Sullivan. Plus, seeing WAL arm wrestling champion Storm Cellino record on the inch pinch. This was a confidence booster for the Philadelphia fit expo. I get in comp mode next week...

• Like 5

8 hours ago, JStepien said:

I haven't competed in grip, since King King 2016. I decided about to compete in this one over a month ago. Under my training log, I've put some effort in training for the grip games or pretty boy luke open as I called it... It's a joke, calm down...

Took a 3 hour drive from Central New Jersey to middle of Pennsylvania. I was feeling strong on the way up. Another side note, I only have experience in 1 out of the 5 events listed. So, my only goal was to 2 hand pinch 100 kg/220 lbs. The rest of them, I guess, I was gonna wing it... I weighed in at 301 lbs, fiance been cooking a lot of food again... 120+K for life!!!

First event was the 2 hand pinch. I did some work with my makeshift euro aka the poor man's euro. My plan was to open around 200 lbs. But, my PR was 202 lbs, brought a lot of doubt to my mind. Did some warm ups, around 180 lbs felt easy. Hit my opener & 2nd attempt, then 3rd was 220.56... I missed on the 3rd, left hand slipped. 4th attempt, I got that weight & goal was achieved. Felt good, on to the next event...

2" napalms nightmare, everyone was saying this was an event for me. Again, unfamiliar with the device, asked questions on where I should start out with. Jedd & Luke said around 450 lbs... WHAT?!?!? 450???... I guess, they know best... I believe my 1st attempt was around 440 lbs, easy... 460 easy... 480 easy... Thinking, I can get 500!... Bar was load at 501.something... Went up easy & right on the down command... my left hand slipped... Close only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades... Side note, the lift hurt my eyeballs... No, I'm serious, it hurt my eyeballs... Also, it took a lot out of me, tried to fuel up on peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.

3rd was little big horn... Never tried it, but on v bar, I'm not bad at. But, only thing different was I used my left hand. On v bar, I used my right. Ended up with 188.55.

Inch pinch was next, actually was a fun event. Got 78.33 lbs, kind of a surprise to me. I didn't think, I would perform well in this one...

Pinch block curl, to be honest, I had the idea to just get 4 attempts in, don't care about the weight. Plus, I don't curl all the time & I have my bicep issues. Also, the strict rules having your butt, shoulder, & head on the wall while curling the block up & controlling it down. I got 35.13, I guess not bad for a guy who never tried this before...

It was a good time, great seeing the grip guys again. Always fun, joking with guys like Jedd especially during the napalms nightmare... Also, meeting new guys like Mighty Joe Sullivan. Plus, seeing WAL arm wrestling champion Storm Cellino record on the inch pinch. This was a confidence booster for the Philadelphia fit expo. I get in comp mode next week...

John, 

Very well said brother! You are a beast my friend. You are one of the most humble guys with your “you are stronger than me” bits! We all know we are not! Haha.

It was a pleasure meeting you “Big John Studd”! Very glad you came and look forward to seeing you at the Viking Vice Grip challenge man! 

Joe Sullivan 

6 hours ago, bencrush said:

Great write-up, John and excellent overall performance man! 

Thanks big guy!

30 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

John, 

Very well said brother! You are a beast my friend. You are one of the most humble guys with your “you are stronger than me” bits! We all know we are not! Haha.

It was a pleasure meeting you “Big John Studd”! Very glad you came and look forward to seeing you at the Viking Vice Grip challenge man! 

Joe Sullivan 

Nice meeting you mighty Joe! See your butt in philly!

9 hours ago, JStepien said:

For not having any experience on most of the events you did awesome. I think the Philly Fit expo will fit your strengths a little better. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

For not having any experience on most of the events you did awesome. I think the Philly Fit expo will fit your strengths a little better. 

3 hours ago, riccardomagni said:

Great write up.  BETTER results.  See you all in Philly!!

Thanks guys much appreciated