Update on Philadelphia ViseGrip Viking Contest

riccardomagni

Thanks Riccardo! Never know, may just show up, not competing. My grip days are probably behind me. Don't have the fire for it anymore. Lower back feeling better still has it's moments. I'm not like the man who says he will make grip sport great Joe Sullivan!!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JStepien said:

Thanks Riccardo! Never know, may just show up, not competing. My grip days are probably behind me. Don't have the fire for it anymore. Lower back feeling better still has it's moments. I'm not like the man who says he will make grip sport great Joe Sullivan!!!

I know that you are a very strong man.  If you change your mind, we would love to see you out there...

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, SNichols said:

Just registered! Still new to grip, so looking to learn more and more. Love the sport!

Can’t wait to see ya bro! What weight class?

12 minutes ago, SNichols said:

What’s the cutoff 242?

Yes I believe so! You are an arm wrestler? Your grip must already be pretty fierce! Seems to have great carryover!

Edited by Guest

Yea it seems to be carrying over really well. I’m hooked! I’ve actually been training more on grip lately. My biggest down fall is grippers. I’m working on it though. Trying to get that technique down.

3 minutes ago, SNichols said:

Yea it seems to be carrying over really well. I’m hooked! I’ve actually been training more on grip lately. My biggest down fall is grippers. I’m working on it though. Trying to get that technique down.

Do you have a you tube page?

11 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Do you have a you tube page?

Yes, haven’t really used it in awhile. I’ve been watching videos Chez sent me

Edited by SNichols

On 3/8/2018 at 8:12 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

That’s may be so... If everyone felt that way then it would be just those 2 in the competition then. Let’s fill the ranks, have some fun, and pull out personal bests and maybe surprise us and them. I was one that wouldn’t join anything unless I would win. I competed in one powerlifting competition because I knew I would win. Missed out on a lot of other experiences because I was scared I wouldn’t win or because I didn’t want the let down of not winning or not winning would make me look or feel weak.

When I got in to Grip 2 years ago I also was held back because of my wanting to win and not doing a comp if I didn’t think I could win. Jedd Johnson talked me out of that mind set and I thank him for that. This is my own personal testimony about competition... I don’t expect anyone else to feel the same, everyone has their own thoughts on the subject. I am at the 40 year old Mark and time is running out for the body to take much more of this stuff.... so I plan to suck as much of it up as I can before the body gives out. To each their own and God bless anyone’s choice. It would be great to see everyone in our area compete and enjoy! There are a lot of gripsters in the north east! 

Joe - I didn't start grip until I was 55 - don't think 40 is old please.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Joe - I didn't start grip until I was 55 - don't think 40 is old please.

For some people’s bodies 40 is Old. May not be old chronologically for some things.... but depending on what you’ve done in your life 40 can be old on your body Chris. I’ve had neck fusion, lumbar fusion and elbow surgery... so my body may not be close to what a 40 year old that has not subjected his body to abuse is. So my body is a lot older than my age. For me to be able to compete in a strength sport again is huge for me. Didn’t think that was ever going to happen again. Years of deadlifting 700 pounds took its toll! Thank the good Lord for grip! I stated in my post that at 40 time is running out for me... and the surgeries are the reason why. That was my testimony. 

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

For some people’s bodies 40 is Old. May not be old chronologically for some things.... but depending on what you’ve done in your life 40 can be old on your body Chris. I’ve had neck fusion, lumbar fusion and elbow surgery... so my body may not be close to what a 40 year old that has not subjected his body to abuse is. So my body is a lot older than my age. For me to be able to compete in a strength sport again is huge for me. Didn’t think that was ever going to happen again. Years of deadlifting 700 pounds took its toll! Thank the good Lord for grip! I stated in my post that at 40 time is running out for me... and the surgeries are the reason why. That was my testimony. 

50 years old. Two major back surgeries. Serious quad tear.  Serious calf tear.  Shoulder tears playing hockey and recently.  Concussed dozens of times.  Punched in the face and returned the favor on and off the ice way more times than a civilized man should admit (4 broken noses and 1 jaw). Broken every finger I own and my right hand twice. Years of football, hockey, and basketball with a healthy dose of combat sports mixed in.  Arthritis and apparently rock salt in every joint. 

And someday I'm going to beat all you bastards! :laugh

Best of strength at the comp to all who are competing, young and old! :rock

And @JStepien is still stronger than me.

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

50 years old. Two major back surgeries. Serious quad tear.  Serious calf tear.  Shoulder tears playing hockey and recently.  Concussed dozens of times.  Punched in the face and returned the favor on and off the ice way more times than a civilized man should admit (4 broken noses and 1 jaw). Broken every finger I own and my right hand twice. Years of football, hockey, and basketball with a healthy dose of combat sports mixed in.  Arthritis and apparently rock salt in every joint. 

I’m waiting for you RINDO! You’re my HEROOOOOO BRUTHAAAAA!

22 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

You should come to the comp RINDO! It’s not too far from you!

I don't do Iron Mind.

59 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

And someday I'm going to beat all you bastards!

I'm 49, was never athletic at all, one major back surgery when I was 38, and I'm not even big (175 pounds) or bad boy (lawyer with desk job).  But I discovered grip last year and I am hooked.  I will never close a 200 gripper, deadlift 500, or break ANYONE's nose -- but by next year I will make people say hey, that guy is damn good for a little old geek!  Grip is a great sport for people to compete against themselves, and to share a healthy hobby with people they otherwise might never have met but who are great to know.  I hope to keep up with this for decades.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I'm 49, was never athletic at all, one major back surgery when I was 38, and I'm not even big (175 pounds) or bad boy (lawyer with desk job).  But I discovered grip last year and I am hooked.  I will never close a 200 gripper, deadlift 500, or break ANYONE's nose -- but by next year I will make people say hey, that guy is damn good for a little old geek!  Grip is a great sport for people to compete against themselves, and to share a healthy hobby with people they otherwise might never have met but who are great to know.  I hope to keep up with this for decades.

It’s great for the fact it’s not putting max loads on the frame yet still making you work as hard as you can! It’s a great outlet. 

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

7 ruptured disks from top to bottom - both knees operated on.  Jaw broken into many many pieces - collapsed lung and crushed chest - right elbow/arm doesn't rotate or straighten - like both of you I could go on and on and on listing what doesn't work.  Don't either of you guys kid me - neither of you will quit doing this stuff until they put the pennies on your eyes and not before.  :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, climber511 said:

7 ruptured disks from top to bottom - both knees operated on.  Jaw broken into many many pieces - collapsed lung and crushed chest - right elbow/arm doesn't rotate or straighten - like both of you I could go on and on and on listing what doesn't work.  Don't either of you guys kid me - neither of you will quit doing this stuff until they put the pennies on your eyes and not before.  :)

I was on your side old man!  Haha. :laugh

Can't wait for Gripmas old friend!

8 minutes ago, climber511 said:

You’re right Chris. If I can’t walk I crawl... if I can only sledge I will sledge... only do grippers I will do that. If I’m in a wheelchair I will walk on my hands... I will always strive to have some form of strength culture in my life.... it’s as part of me as my arms and legs.

Joe

18 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You’re right Chris. If I can’t walk I crawl... if I can only sledge I will sledge... only do grippers I will do that. If I’m in a wheelchair I will walk on my hands... I will always strive to have some form of strength culture in my life.... it’s as part of me as my arms and legs.

Joe

That's what I figured :).  Next year starts my 60th year of weight training - shooting for 70.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

That's what I figured :).  This year starts my 60th year of weight training - shooting for 70.

The good Lord has blessed you richly to be able to do what you do for so long. All our power comes from the Lord... others may disagree.. and that’s their prerogative... but without Him nothing is possible!

Joe