Update on Philadelphia ViseGrip Viking Contest

riccardomagni

10 minutes ago, JStepien said:

Been thinking about it sounds weird about Odd & Rich only competing in a few events, but not going for the overall title? To me, that sounds like a participation trophy for a kid

That is weird. I though so myself. 

Participation trophy for whom? Rich is only interested in taking back the axle record. I think Odd just likes to show what he’s still able to do. It’s extremely impressive considering his age.

Meant for whoever wins the overall since those guys aren't competing for it

I see. Well, hopefully more guys will sign up.

And as far as I understand, there is only one trophy for the overall winner. However, each weight class will have medals for the top three performances in each event.

I understand what you're saying...

But, I think I'm about 90% sure I'm not competing

Guys,
not sure if I need to sober up, or drink more.. 

if I was not working, there is no way I would miss an opportunity to compete WITH a legend like Odd Haugen.

Who cares how I would place, we are talking competing in the same event with a real legend... a chance to meet him and learn... and put your hands on the same steel.

go listen to this old podcast with Chris Rice, and consider this a rare opportunity that you might be sorry you missed someday in life...
go to about hour into this podcast available for free on iTunes
http://superstrengthshow.com/strength-training-longevity/

show number 55

4 hours ago, richcottrell said:

Guys,

if I was not working, there is no way I would miss an opportunity to compete WITH a legend like Odd Haugen.

Who cares how I would place, we are talking competing in the same event with a real legend... a chance to meet him and learn... and put your hands on the same steel.

go listen to this old podcast with Chris Rice, and consider this a rare opportunity that you might be sorry you missed someday in life...

show number 55

I messed up my left middle finger real bad and heard it snap. May be able to only do one handed events.  I will still go. Will be a great experience. I’m sure @JStepien   will put his 2 cents in about His thoughts on that. I already paid for it in February so I’m going. As Stepien makes fun... he says I’m trying to “make Grip great again” as if I’m a Donald Trump campaign slogan!

One handed or two handed I will do what I can. My left middle finger is 1/3 fatter than my right. Was stupid and didn’t leave it alone when it snapped a few weeks ago....  I can’t do anything at all with the left right now. Not happy at all.

Edited by Guest

If my lower back was fine, I would be competing. I would be training grip as well, not what I'm doing now. The back injury affected my confidence & training for the event. It's mental & if I felt like I can hang in there with them, it's a different story. I understand competing against a legend, but I'm not risking worsening the lower back just for that...

Joe Sullivan been saying he will make grip sport bigger than the NFL & NBA

27 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Was stupid and didn’t leave it alone when it snapped a few weeks ago....  I can’t do anything at all with the left right now. Not happy at all.

Dude....I’m sorry that’s the worst. I did the same thing to my pinky a couple weeks back. How did you pop it? Hub? If it makes you feel any better, I have done this while climbing a couple times and all of them have come back to full strength. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

1 minute ago, Boulderbrew said:

Dude....I’m sorry that’s the worst. I did the same thing to my pinky a couple weeks back. How did you pop it? Hub? If it makes you feel any better, I have done this while climbing a couple times and all of them have come back to full strength. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Yea Tanner it was the hub. I had just got it and never really did it before. I put 50 pounds on the pin and got it with my right and then got it with the left and it snapped on the descent. It was definitely a lateral collateral ligament sprain. I waited a day and started training again and it wasn’t too bad. I then finally got my hands on a silver bullet for the first time  and I think from holding the gripper closed for so long with my left really irritated the heck out of it. It swelled right up and now I can’t close it because of the edema. I am going to leave the finger alone totally for a while. I won’t be able to train anything for the next 2 weeks anyway for a travel obligation and won’t have access to anything. I will bring the COCs and SB and just train my right hand. Very depressing.

Joe

6 minutes ago, JStepien said:

If my lower back was fine, I would be competing. I would be training grip as well, not what I'm doing now. The back injury affected my confidence & training for the event. It's mental & if I felt like I can hang in there with them, it's a different story. I understand competing against a legend, but I'm not risking worsening the lower back just for that...

Hey man when ya love something you do your best to make it great and promote it. It’s like  Jedd says... TELL EVERYONE! 

I truly enjoy this sport as it has given me an outlet for strength competition again. I thought I was through for life when I had lumbar and cervical fusion back in 2005 when I was powerlifting. This has given me something to look forward to and something I can excel at. I did not feel whole when I wasn’t performing some sort of strength endeavor for the 10 years after surgeries until finding the sport of grip at the end of 2015. One can make fun or think it’s a joke.... but to me it is something I truly enjoy and don’t care what anyone thinks. If you can’t run... you walk. If you can’t walk... you crawl....and if you can’t powerlift with maximum poundages anymore.... you GRIP!

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yea Tanner it was the hub

SMH you didn’t even have to tell me. The hub is sketchy. I have injured too many fingers to count. All A2 pulleys. I don’t even have an A2 in my left ring finger, blew it off entirely back in 2012. Left hand is still my strongest hand 💪

4 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

SMH you didn’t even have to tell me. The hub is sketchy. I have injured too many fingers to count. All A2 pulleys. I don’t even have an A2 in my left ring finger, blew it off entirely back in 2012. Left hand is still my strongest hand 💪

If I would have known hub was such an issue I would not have tried to max on it first time out. Live and learn. I’m left handed but my left is about 20% weaker than my right due to nerve compression 

44 minutes ago, JStepien said:

No one expects you to compete if your back is injured Studd. You gotta take care of you my man. 

1 minute ago, WestSlope said:

@Boulderbrew might have already listened to the Training Beta podcasts on finger injury rehab, but Joe probably not. Joe I know you are in the health profession - these might give you some ideas or maybe it will be bs to you. Filter for yourself if you have the time.

Dr. Tyler Nelson his IG is C4HP

https://www.trainingbeta.com/media/tyler-nelson/?portfolioCats=72

Dr. Esther Smith

https://www.trainingbeta.com/media/esther-fingers/?portfolioCats=72

The short story is to keep the injured finger active and even load it in a controlled manner.

The problem was that I went balls to the wall with it a day after it was injured. I went right back to doing axle, Saxon bar, and captains of crush and now it’s swollen beyond recognition. It needs to have the swelling go down before I do anything. I’ll check out those things you sent though thank you.The problem was that I went balls to the wall with it a day after it was injured. I went right back to doing axle, Saxon bar, and captains of crush and now it’s swollen beyond recognition. It needs to have the swelling go down before I do anything. I’ll check out those things you sent though thank you.

2 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

@Boulderbrew might have already listened to the Training Beta podcasts on finger injury rehab, but Joe probably not. Joe I know you are in the health profession - these might give you some ideas or maybe it will be bs to you. Filter for yourself if you have the time.

Dr. Tyler Nelson his IG is C4HP

https://www.trainingbeta.com/media/tyler-nelson/?portfolioCats=72

Dr. Esther Smith

https://www.trainingbeta.com/media/esther-fingers/?portfolioCats=72

The short story is to keep the injured finger active and even load it in a controlled manner.

Great sources. I've recovered several of my own finger injuries and assisted a lot of my climbing friends with the same, if anybody has specific questions about the road to recovery feel free to message me. I hate seeing people unable to train

4 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

No one expects you to compete if your back is injured Studd. You gotta take care of you my man. 

I'm going easy these day anyway... I did compete with a tender back at Jedd's event... To reply to that comment can't powerlift, you grip??? Nah, you box, punching guys in the face more exciting than squeezing a gripper

31 minutes ago, JStepien said:

I'm going easy these day anyway... I did compete with a tender back at Jedd's event... To reply to that comment can't powerlift, you grip??? Nah, you box, punching guys in the face more exciting than squeezing a gripper

Too dynamic with back and neck fusions Studd. I can punch and destroy if I have to... but only when provoked.... otherwise that’s an accident waiting to happen. My back is always tender. Feel like I have 50% power on my left side of my body. I don’t represent what u would actually be lifting if the sides were both equal. I am severely handicapped in that arena. No one would ever know though unless I shared it.

Edited by Guest

Again, I suck at grip sport... I'm not like Joe "Make Grip Sport Great" Sullivan!!!

On 3/14/2018 at 10:28 PM, richcottrell said:

Guys,

show number 55

Thanks for the positive comments!

On 3/15/2018 at 8:46 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

The problem was that I went balls to the wall with it a day after it was injured. I went right back to doing axle, Saxon bar, and captains of crush and now it’s swollen beyond recognition. It needs to have the swelling go down before I do anything. I’ll check out those things you sent though thank you.The problem was that I went balls to the wall with it a day after it was injured. I went right back to doing axle, Saxon bar, and captains of crush and now it’s swollen beyond recognition. It needs to have the swelling go down before I do anything. I’ll check out those things you sent though thank you.

Sorry to hear that you got injured.  It does happen.  Maxing in the beginning is probably not recommended for any exercise.  I wish you a speedy recovery!!

On 3/15/2018 at 9:16 AM, JStepien said:

I hope that you heal up soon.  If you still go, it will be great to meet you...

Edited by riccardomagni
Spelling

11 minutes ago, riccardomagni said:

Sorry to hear that you got injured.  It does happen.  Maxing in the beginning is probably not recommended for any exercise.  I wish you a speedy recovery!!

Thanks Riccardo! I will be there no matter what ,even if my left hand is not good. I’m hoping resting it up does it some justice. I will do the one handed events. I’m not going to be able to train at all the next 2 weeks due to obligations.... but the rest may do me good.

5 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Thanks Riccardo! I will be there no matter what ,even if my left hand is not good. I’m hoping resting it up does it some justice. I will do the one handed events. I’m not going to be able to train at all the next 2 weeks due to obligations.... but the rest may do me good.

I will pray for a quick recovery.