Update on Philadelphia ViseGrip Viking Contest

riccardomagni

Nope I haven't, but your channel is better than mine... my YouTube channel sucks 

Surely there are a few guys under 80kg who would be interested in competing in this event. The weight classes won't be offered in the future if no one comes out.

50,000,000 people live within a three-hour drive of Philadelphia. Come on.

1 minute ago, Eric Roussin said:

Surely there are a few guys under 80kg who would be interested in competing in this event. The weight classes won't be offered in the future if no one comes out.

50,000,000 people live within a three-hour drive of Philadelphia. Come on.

I was thinking the same thing Eric. There are many gripsters in that general tri state area. This is a huge event that you would think folks would jump at the chance to be Involved in whether they have a chance of winning or not. I for one cannot wait for it!

Joe

I'm considering going, and would be under 70kg I just haven't confirmed yet. I hope more small people come, 1st place in a 1 person weight class doesn't feel very rewarding.

Mike Rinderle (hes close to 83 kg  right? :D)

On 3/6/2018 at 9:46 PM, JStepien said:

Nope I haven't, but your channel is better than mine... my YouTube channel sucks 

You think they will be able to refund your money if you back out for injury?

On 3/7/2018 at 12:03 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

I was thinking the same thing Eric. There are many gripsters in that general tri state area. This is a huge event that you would think folks would jump at the chance to be Involved in whether they have a chance of winning or not. I for one cannot wait for it!

Joe

*DISCLAIMER: MY OWN OPINION!*

That's the difference between you & me Joe. Main reason, why I'm saying, I may pull out of this event, if I don't feel like I could win, then why bother? Yes, I'm in a tough class with Rich Williams & Odd Haugen, but if I feel like I can beat them in ONE event, it's good for me. Right now, that ain't the case... If I did this for experience, honestly, I'll be miserable. I'm too much of a competitor. My views, always been for awhile, all in or get the (bad word filter) out!!!

Being honest, sorry if anyone is upset with that

3 minutes ago, JStepien said:

That's the difference between you & me Joe. Main reason, why I'm saying, I may pull out of this event, if I don't feel like I could win, then why bother? Yes, I'm in a tough class with Rich Williams & Odd Haugen, but if I feel like I can beat them in ONE event, it's good for me. Right now, that ain't the case... If I did this for experience, honestly, I'll be miserable. I'm too much of a competitor. My views, always been for awhile, all in or get the (bad word filter) out!!!

Why would anyone be upset by you wanting to win? I used to be that way... but if you only join something thinking you have to win or  you won’t enter if you don’t... then the train is gonna leave without you... and there may come a time where you won’t be able to get back ....on and look back with regret. I’ve been there. Not a way that I wanted to be. Been doing Grip a short time and want to have fun doing it as well as win. Not experienced by any means... but I guess that’s the difference if you love something or not. I love Grip and have fun doing it. If you don’t love it... then why do it? Being doing this a short time and going against guys of that caliber is a great opportunity for experience and I’m looking forward to it. Hope to see you there, if not.... then good luck with whatever you choose.

8 minutes ago, JStepien said:

I’m have a similar view John. I would be in that class also.  If I can be competitive but get beat no worries but I’ll get my butt handed to me by rich and Odd in those thick bar events so I’m not as inclined to travel and spend the time and money

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I’m have a similar view John. I would be in that class also.  If I can be competitive but get beat no worries but I’ll get my butt handed to me by rich and Odd in those thick bar events so I’m not as inclined to travel and spend the time and money

Yea but the difference is John would not get his butt handed to him by any means. John is good at thick bar. He would do great. 

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yea but the difference is John would not get his butt handed to him by any means. John is good at thick bar. He would do great. 

Ya but he’s saying he’s beat up also do you know rich Williams? Right now he’s been posting 550 DO IM axle lifts with long holds at the top. 

Edited by Chez

Rich is goin to smoke the IM axle record at this comp 

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Ya but he’s saying he’s beat up also do you know rich Williams? Right now he’s been posted 550 DO IM axle lifts with long holds at the top. 

Yea I know him. Probably the top axle deadlift around. That’s not gonna stop me though. I just started Grip not too long ago. I’m going In me against me. If I do good then great... John would do great if he wasn’t injured.. and if he is injured then by all means pull out... but no injury aside he is formidable against the best of them. No one is telling him to do it injured Chez. John has a self deprecating sense of humor about his abilities. He is very strong and sometimes you never can tell if he is being humorous or serious as far as attending a competition or not. I was looking forward to seeing him there! I pray for his recovery and for him to do what makes him happy.

It’s his choice but I also have a similar view. 

Didn’t say you were. I only responded to him that I and probably others feel the same with those two monsters in the class 

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

Didn’t say you were. I only responded to him that I and probably others feel the same with those two monsters in the class 

That’s may be so... If everyone felt that way then it would be just those 2 in the competition then. Let’s fill the ranks, have some fun, and pull out personal bests and maybe surprise us and them. I was one that wouldn’t join anything unless I would win. I competed in one powerlifting competition because I knew I would win. Missed out on a lot of other experiences because I was scared I wouldn’t win or because I didn’t want the let down of not winning or not winning would make me look or feel weak.

When I got in to Grip 2 years ago I also was held back because of my wanting to win and not doing a comp if I didn’t think I could win. Jedd Johnson talked me out of that mind set and I thank him for that. This is my own personal testimony about competition... I don’t expect anyone else to feel the same, everyone has their own thoughts on the subject. I am at the 40 year old Mark and time is running out for the body to take much more of this stuff.... so I plan to suck as much of it up as I can before the body gives out. To each their own and God bless anyone’s choice. It would be great to see everyone in our area compete and enjoy! There are a lot of gripsters in the north east! 

Edited by Guest

Joe you seem like a nice guy but I’m not going to go back and forth with you all night in the thread. Just giving honest feedback about why some people may not be attending. I won’t be responding anymore. Not saying that in a nasty way at all. I’m just tired and relaxing from work 

Edited by Chez

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Joe you seem like a nice guy but I’m not going to go back and forth with you all night in the thread. Just giving honest feedback about why some people may not be attending. I won’t be responding anymore. Not saying that in a nasty way at all. I’m just tired and relaxing from work 

No problem Chez.. and thank you... I  pride myself on being nice guy!  I didn’t take it as nasty at all brother. I love talking about this stuff and perhaps I get a little to passionate or invested in a subject and some people might not take that well or take it as being debative. My wife reminds me of that alot😀You rest up and have a great night pal.Dont work too hard!

Edited by Guest

Just to clear the air, my lower back has been touchy since the beginning of the year. It was bugging me even at Jedd's event in February. It got worse, probably from wrestling kids 10-15 years younger than me... But, still whooped their ass! Lol... I can't sacrifice getting hurt on the job. Paying for some of the wedding, so being workers comp ain't a good decision. For example, I work with trailers, the legs that hold up the trailer when the truck leaves it... Guess what, I throw them everyday!!!

Looking at the events, axle: Williams will pull over 500 lbs! Odd will win rolling thunder &/or country crush deadlift. I suck at hub & pinch block, so that's a wash. Only event I think I got a small shot is the silver bullet. There's some uncertainty.

What I choose??? Ya know what? Getting married in September, may just enjoy married life... Still gonna lift, better than me going to a bar... But, never know with me, but been thinking about not competing in anything for awhile

1 minute ago, JStepien said:

Just to clear the air, my lower back has been touchy since the beginning of the year. It was bugging me even at Jedd's event in February. It got worse, probably from wrestling kids 10-15 years younger than me... But, still whooped their ass! Lol... I can't sacrifice getting hurt on the job. Paying for some of the wedding, so being workers comp ain't a good decision. For example, I work with trailers, the legs that hold up the trailer when the truck leaves it... Guess what, I throw them everyday!!!

Looking at the events, axle: Williams will pull over 500 lbs! Odd will win rolling thunder &/or country crush deadlift. I suck at hub & pinch block, so that's a wash. Only event I think I got a small shot is the silver bullet. There's some uncertainty.

What I choose??? Ya know what? Getting married in September, may just enjoy married life... Still gonna lift, better than me going to a bar... But, never know with me, but been thinking about not competing in anything for awhile

Whatever you choose Big John Studd God bless! 

If it makes any difference to those who would be competing in the heavyweight class: Rich is only registered to compete in the axle event, and Odd doesn’t usually compete in all of the events. I suspect at this event he’ll do the RT, the Country Crush, and maybe the axle. So neither of them will be in the running for the overall title.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

If it makes any difference to those who would be competing in the heavyweight class: Rich is only registered to compete in the axle event, and Odd doesn’t usually compete in all of the events. I suspect at this event he’ll do the RT, the Country Crush, and maybe the axle. So neither of them will be in the running for the overall title.

Thanks Eric, but I believe my lower back issue will hinder my performance.

^I hope things get better soon. I was sharing this information with all potential competitors, because I don’t think everyone was aware of it.

Been thinking about it sounds weird about Odd & Rich only competing in a few events, but not going for the overall title? To me, that sounds like a participation trophy for a kid