• Truck Pull
  • Overhead Press (Dumbbell)
  • Overhead Press (Log)
  • Arm Over Arm
  • Toss
  • Squat with loading barrels
  • Deadlift with loading barrels
  • Atlas Stones

Note that the heats get different events from the above list, usually with five or six events. One group may get the overhead press with a dumbbell and another with a log, one may squat with loading barrels and the other will deadlift with loading barrels, etc.

Finals Events

• Frame Carry
  • Car Deadlift
  • Loading Race
  • Truck Pull
  • Max Overhead
  • Atlas Stones
  • Like 2

David_wigren

With those events I’d be willing to bet that either Brian or Hafthor will walk away with the win. They are both strong in all of those events apart from the max overhead.

• Like 1

Mike Rinderle

Agreed.  They have to be the two favorites going in.  Especially with it looking like Eddie won't be competing.  

TheBEAstinI

Is there a list of competing athletes somewhere?

Tommy J.

Been watching some of the '18 Arnold strongman on youtube tonight. Pretty good comp. the natural stone lift was brutal! Anybody else in amazement at the guy that shouldered that 400+ stone 4 times? Nuts.

i also payed close attention to the tacky rules in regards to the stone lift.. since it was discussed on the board recently. It appeared that the rules for this particular comp in regards to tacky, were that athletes were indeed allowed to tacky the hands and forearms, but NOT the stone. While i am not against using tacky on atlas stones, i do feel that it has no place in natural stone lifts.. but regardless of my stance on tacky, comp rules are comp rules. That said, the only athlete i saw bend any rules on that even was Brian Shaw... he appeared to be the only competitor who attempted to use his tacky rag directly on the stone before his attempt. Which was disappointing to be honest. I had hoped that when it was Brians turn to attempt the stone, he was gonna walk up and American muscle that thing, then tell it to go make him a sammich when he got done man handling it! But instead, it appeared that he might have tried to cheat a little with the rubbing of the tacky on the stone?.. did anyone else catch that?.. 

not that its a huge deal or anything.. since he was still far from winning that event against the guy that shouldered it 4 times. But dang, im more disappointed that Brian was willing to bend the rules before he even laid hands on it and gave it an honest go.

or, maybe i misinterpreted the rules? Im not totally ruling that possibility out, but it did seem to me that quite an effort was made by event staff to keep the stone cleaned between each competitors attempts. But yet none of the staff called Brian for applying aid directly to the stone. Even if only a miniscule amount.

Thoughts?

Climber028

I didn't notice that, but very strange for him to do something like that, I had assumed they were just wiping it.

I did like the strapless frame carry, but they decided on 900lbs instead of the planned 1140 and I thought that was interesting, still half the people couldn't even complete it.

Was also surprised at Shaws deadlift performance, based on recent training I thought he would have came out way stronger.

Tommy J.
18 hours ago, Climber028 said:

I didn't notice that, but very strange for him to do something like that, I had assumed they were just wiping it.

I did like the strapless frame carry, but they decided on 900lbs instead of the planned 1140 and I thought that was interesting, still half the people couldn't even complete it.

Was also surprised at Shaws deadlift performance, based on recent training I thought he would have came out way stronger.

At first i thought the same thing when i saw him do it, but then i noticed the rags they were all using was indeed some form of tacky rag they had all been given by the staff.

but i agree. Brian had a rough day it looked like. at least in regards to his typical level of strength. 

However, while i did see the final awards, i did not notice how close the score was between Brian and Thor.. was it close between those two?..

Mike Rinderle

Ended up pretty close:

2018 Arnold Pros Strongman Final Results

• 1st place (45.5 points): Hafthor Bjornsson of Iceland, $72,000
  • 2nd place (42): Brian Shaw of Lupton, Colo., $22,000
  • 3rd place (30): Mikhail Shivlyakov of Russia, $17,000
  • 4th place (29): Mateusz Kieliskowski of Poland, $12,000
  • 5th place (28): Jean-Francois Caron of Canada, $10,000.
  • 6th place, tie (24): Jerry Pritchett of Phoenix, Ariz., $6,500
  • 6th place, tie (24): Matjaz Belsak of Slovenia, $6,500
  • 8th place (22.5): Rauno Heinla of Estonia, $4,000.
  • 9th place (18.5): Dimitar Savatinov of Bulgaria, $3,000.
  • 10th place (11.5): Mateusz Ostaszewski of Poland, $2,000
  • Like 1