Help with CoC Grippers

Jefry_Rojas

Hello so I managed to build enough strength to close my #1 gripper on my right hand once. The problem I’m having is I still can’t close it still on my left and I’ve been stuck at 1 rep forever :(. I currently have the sport, trainer and #1. What I do right now is do around is 10 reps warm up with my sport and I could do 5-7 reps with the trainer on my left and I could do 17-20 reps on my right. What I tried to do was try to increase reps on my trainer but that’s taking forever. I am doing negatives with my #1 and just closing it as far as I can a couple times. I would appreciate it if you guys could tell me something else I can do with the grippers because I am not progressing at all. I would love to be able to get 5 reps with my #1 on my right and left hand. My goal is to eventually close the #2.

Edited by Jefry_Rojas

If it's too hard to increase reps on the Trainer, try to increse the reps on the Sport first. Pretty basic stuff, but it's often forgotten. You don't always need to train near your max to get stronger.

• Like 1

Hey man. It is difficult to tell where the ‘problem’ lies since I can’t see what you see as a ‘close’, You can close a gripper from assisting the handles closer to each other with the other hand: ‘setting’ , and closing it without setting it: a ‘no set’. Both make the gripper closed. But both differ a lot needles to say, so does the strength for this as well as the technique needed for this. I am assuming you use some kind of set so there is probably some technique adjustments that could bring the gripper in a more advantageous position in your fingers and witht the right skinplacement for optimal friction, all which play a huge roll. With the gripper in a better position you can start working on the close in the heaviest range of the gripper which can help you do reps. Besides, gains with grippers come just as slow or even slower as for instance upping your 1rm deadlift for most people. Be consistent and don’t overtrain, another important point. Maybe you train too much? 

Don’t worry I have the technique down and it is indeed a close I just want to be able to get more than 1 rep on the #1 seems like I’m stuck. I don’t think I’m overtraining I certainly don’t feel like I’m not. Anyways I don’t think I really need to increase reps on the trainer since I can do around 20 on my right and I heard high reps are not that great for strength but for endurance. Maybe for my left I would like to bang out a couple more reps on my trainer so I am going to try increasing reps on sport. Should I try to do something different besides negatives and attempts on the #1 gripper so I can eventually be able to do more than 1 rep?

Edited by Jefry_Rojas

You don't need to do negatives. I'll advice against it. High risk of injury.

Do low rep high set training with the Trainer if the #1 is too hard to do five solid reps with. After a few weeks and a few thousands of reps later you can start with the #1. By then you will probably do several reps with that gripper.

Also, don't forget that there's a #0.5 gripper aswell, could be very useful for you.

I’m nowhere near the level a lot of guys here are, but I’ll offer up a possible tip anyway. If you can do17-20 on the trainer with the right, how about just moving your hand up the trainer gripper to make it a lot harder? What I mean is instead of using the optimal “pinky half on the end” position, slide your hand up closer toward the spring. More you move up, harder it will get. This will get you back into the low rep range. I think after a few weeks of that, when you go back to trying the #1 with the optimal hand position, I bet you get more than 1 rep. Try it with the left also, although if you can only do 5-7 you won’t be able to move your hand very much.

• Like 1

Alright first of all thank you guys for replying. I will move my hand up on the gripper and do reps like that. Do you think two finger reps would be helpful too cause I can do a couple of them on my right? I will also take fist of fury’s and try to increase sets doing low reps.

11 minutes ago, Jefry_Rojas said:

Alright first of all thank you guys for replying. I will move my hand up on the gripper and do reps like that. Do you think two finger reps would be helpful too cause I can do a couple of them on my right? I will also take fist of fury’s and try to increase sets doing low reps.

If the other guys here say my tip is a bad idea, defer to them by all means. I’m just more of a beginner- intermediate....it has worked for me though. My left sucks also, for a while I couldn’t do more than 1 rep on the 1.5 and it was an all out max effort where I’d miss half the time. After a very short time of moving my hand up on the trainer and the #1, I can do 5 reps with the 1.5 now. So I think there’s something there, at least for those of us using the easier grippers. 

Edited by Booze

You need to do some holds with a gripper you can close. I like to pinch a paperclip in the handles so the handles actually touch, when it drops out give it one last squeeze to try to get the handles touching again.

Or negatives with a gripper you can almost close are safe enough, give it a little bump against your leg to get it shut, and try to hold for 5-10 seconds. If iy stays closed then great, hold as long as you can. Stop if it gets much more than 1/4" of space between handles.

Unfortunatley, the best advice for gripper gains might be to do some other types of grip work. And be sure to work extensors.

• Like 5

Chez - the issue I encountered trying to follow your program is that it would seem you need to have A LOT of grippers to make it work. For someone who only owns 1 each of the COC grippers, I’m not sure how its possible. Given what the OP said he can do with his right, he would have no gripper for the doubles and triples. Even if he had the 0.5, I don’t think it would be of much help. For myself, I also own just 1 each of the COC. I can do the #2 once(CCS), but doing doubles or triples with the 1.5 would be very easy. The only way I can see the routine working is applying what I posted earlier about moving your hand up so you can make an easier gripper fit into your rep scheme. I’m not sure if moving your hand up is a viable training method though? I really don’t see people ever talking about doing that so I’m not sure. Other than that, what can be done other than expanding the gripper collection greatly? You’re going to need a bunch of small increments 

1 hour ago, Booze said:

Chez - the issue I encountered trying to follow your program is that it would seem you need to have A LOT of grippers to make it work. For someone who only owns 1 each of the COC grippers, I’m not sure how its possible. Given what the OP said he can do with his right, he would have no gripper for the doubles and triples. Even if he had the 0.5, I don’t think it would be of much help. For myself, I also own just 1 each of the COC. I can do the #2 once(CCS), but doing doubles or triples with the 1.5 would be very easy. The only way I can see the routine working is applying what I posted earlier about moving your hand up so you can make an easier gripper fit into your rep scheme. I’m not sure if moving your hand up is a viable training method though? I really don’t see people ever talking about doing that so I’m not sure. Other than that, what can be done other than expanding the gripper collection greatly? You’re going to need a bunch of small increments 

If you're serious about getting stronger with grippers there's no reason to not buy several rated grippers to fill all the gaps necessary. If you don't have the money you can just buy an adjustable gripper, like the Vulcan or Baraban, or Silvis.

• Like 2

It can be done with less grippers. I didn’t have many when I started. You can also use an adjustable like the Vulcan or RBA. I can make a video explaining how. If you really want to progress with grippers the quickest way is to buy more to fill gaps along the way. 

• Like 1

This may be a very silly question, but I don’t know anything about the adjustable grippers. Is there any issue with carryover strength to “regular” grippers like COC? 

Hmmm I’ve never seen anything like those Silvis grippers.  Ill have to look up a video, is the concept to loosen the screws and move the handles down to be able make it easier? Then move them back up to make it harder again? 

7 minutes ago, Booze said:

Very interesting! I’m definitely going to look into getting one of those

Only problem is they aren’t hard enough for me 😁. Aaron C on the board made me harder ones with the same adjustablitly 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Only problem is they aren’t hard enough for me 😁. Aaron C on the board made me harder ones with the same adjustablitly 

That's nice!

Tettings are pretty easy to make adjustable otherwise. Just bash those mounting pins out and make some threads in there. Everything can be done by hand easily.

• Like 1

Just now, Fist of Fury said:

That's nice!

Tettings are pretty easy to make adjustable otherwise. Just bash those mounting pins out and make some threads in there. Everything can be done by hand easily.

Yep. Aaron and Andrew are making me another narrow set because I want to really attack grippers this year now that I’m healthy. The narrow ones will let me focus on the close at the end of my workouts 

Just now, Chez said:

Yep. Aaron and Andrew are making me another narrow set because I want to really attack grippers this year now that I’m healthy. The narrow ones will let me focus on the close at the end of my workouts 

I recently got the FBBC P1 which was fun. Very narrow and easy to set. Can't wait to start using it.

Just now, Fist of Fury said:

I recently got the FBBC P1 which was fun. Very narrow and easy to set. Can't wait to start using it.

Yep. They are using those springs for the next set of adjustables they are making for me. 

5 hours ago, Chez said:

It can be done with less grippers. I didn’t have many when I started. You can also use an adjustable like the Vulcan or RBA. I can make a video explaining how. If you really want to progress with grippers the quickest way is to buy more to fill gaps along the way. 

Could you make a video?

41 minutes ago, Jefry_Rojas said:

Could you make a video?

Sure. I need some time though February is very busy for me. Check out the early pages of my workout log also