2018 NAGS Championship Qualified Athletes

Eric Roussin

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Hi - I qualified for the 83kg weight class by sending Jedd vids of me doing feats, and he announced me on here somewhere as having qualified.  I can send you the link if you need it.  Thanks, -- Vinnie Rivellese

YEAAAA VINNNNNY! WHOOOOOOOOOO!

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

YEAAAA VINNNNNY! WHOOOOOOOOOO!

Thanks!  I was just posting that because Eric said to let him know if someone qualified and wasn't on his list.  I probably should have PM-d him actually.  Looking forward to going -- road trip!  And finally meet some of the fine folks I see here on the board.

I've now edited the initial post to include competitors who have qualified through video submission (of which I'm aware). Video submissions can be sent to Jedd - jedd.diesel@gmail.com

11 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Thanks!  I was just posting that because Eric said to let him know if someone qualified and wasn't on his list.  I probably should have PM-d him actually.  Looking forward to going -- road trip!  And finally meet some of the fine folks I see here on the board.

Nah man! Be loud and proud you qualified brother! Hah

17 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Hi - I qualified for the 83kg weight class by sending Jedd vids of me doing feats, and he announced me on here somewhere as having qualified.  I can send you the link if you need it.  Thanks, -- Vinnie Rivellese

Vinnie,

Your name is above about 6 posts up.  Below that is Nigel Blackburn and Matt Lane who also qualified via video feats.  Thanks.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 8:43 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

Just saw that I qualify for this. Definitely on the list for the year and looking forward to seeing everyone! WHHHOOOOOOOO! And yes Eric does deserve some special thanks for how he diligently takes care of these stats and figures. It is quite amazing!

@Eric Roussin - is doing a TON behind the scenes this year guys.  He's an amazing help.  Thank you Eric!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

We should give him a special recognition award!

I agree!! Eric is a true gentleman and an incredible athlete- Gripsport is very, very fortunate to have the quality of Eric helping, promoting and competing.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2018 at 10:22 PM, Eric Roussin said:

In listening to the latest episode on This Week in Grip I heard Jedd say he wants to try to make this year’s NAGS Championship the biggest one yet. To help him out, I figured I’d put together a current list of competitors who have qualified to compete at the 2018 NAGS Championship on June 2nd in New York state (exact location to be confirmed).

The list of qualification criteria has not changed from last year and can be found here:

https://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/topic/45851-2016-updated-qualifications-list-for-nags-championship/

Based on my examination of results from NAGS-sanctioned contests from the current season (June 2017 to date), the following men have already qualified. I’ve broken down the list based on how they first qualified to attend (via contest results).

Qualified through participation in 2017 NAGS Championship:

Adam Juncker
Tanner Merkle
Mike Rogowski
Phil Khoshaba
Jason Gonzalez
Gil Goodman
Eric Roussin
John McCarter
Pat Maizels
Aaron Corcorran
Jedd Johnson
Delmar Carter
Andrew Pantke
Tim Fox

Qualified through placement at Oregon’s Strongest Hands:

Michael Thomas

Qualified through placement at SJ4:

Bob Sundin
Dan Fleming
Lucas Raymond
John Wojciechowski
James Retarides
Tim Butler
Rob McMurren
Steve Nichols
Duevorn Harris
Cesare Ricchezza
Shawn Kapusta
Jason Otto
Josh Henze
Matt Kraebring

Qualified through placement at Cross-Canada Grip Sport Challenge:

Tyler Bolzan
Andrew Dube
Mike Murray
Justin Major
Rick Heidebrecht
Ben Collins

Qualified through placement at King Kong:

Sylvain Desjarlais
Steve Millard
David Thornton
Dave Gainer
Joel Dircks
Bryan Hunsaker
Tim Barrett
Mike Rinderle
Joe Sullivan
Leif Welz

Qualified through placement at Gripmas:

Andrew Durniat
Chris Rice
Nick Rosendaul

Qualified through placement at the Northern Freeze:

Adam Thatcher

Qualified through placement at the Hands-on Grip Games:

Dusty Cook
Storm Chellino
John Stepien

Qualified through placement at the Canadian National Grip Sport Championships:

Nick Carignan

Qualified through placement at SJ’s Four-for-February:

Anthony Clarino

Nathaniel Brous

Qualified through video submission:

Vincent Rivellese

Matt Lane

Nigel Blackburn

This list may not be complete, as others may have already qualified through the completion of feats during the current season (qualification chance 2), by obtaining an IronMind (CoC #3 or higher) or Mash Monster (level 1 or higher) certification during the current season (qualification chance 3), or by obtaining a one- or two-handed elite total in a given weight class in sanctioned contests during the current season (qualification chance 4). If this is the case, and you do not see your name on this list, please let me know.

Currently, you’ll have at least three more opportunities to qualify through NAGS-sanctioned contests between now and June 2nd:

The Spring Clench (Mar 31)
AZ Cactus Grip Shootout (Apr 28)
Oregon’s Strongest Hands (May 26)

You also have time to qualify through feats or certification.

There are no qualification requirements for the women’s division. All women are welcome to compete.

Good luck, and I hope to see you at the NAGS Championship!

Well, looks like it's time to torture my hands again...:huh: 

Ben Haefka just performed 45# hub,  nex gen 100 blob, and 230+ lb vbar

• Like 1

Several additional Canadians qualified yesterday through their performance in the Spring Clench. The first post in this thread has been updated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Andrade is qualified for The 74kg class

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Congrats on qualifying and what's your weight loss secret?  You were at the top of 83kg with me a month and a half ago!  I had dreams of cutting 20 pounds too but am right where I was then ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2018 at 11:31 AM, Vinnie said:

Congrats on qualifying and what's your weight loss secret?  You were at the top of 83kg with me a month and a half ago!  I had dreams of cutting 20 pounds too but am right where I was then ...

Carb timing and cardio. these last 20/100 lbs have been tough

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Tank Andrade said:

Chill out, if you try to get into my weight class I'll throw some lead in your pockets during weigh ins

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tank Andrade said:

these last 20/100 lbs have been tough

100!?!?!!?!?!  Dang!  Double congrats!  Well I will be 83kg for this one, nothing I can do about that at this point, but now I am truly motivated to lose 20 and get down to the 74 class for the fall.  Query:  I assume losing weight you lose SOME strength.  But was it a lot?  I'm kind of thinking, if it is weight you should be losing anyway, probably you don't lose a whole lot of strength with it.  I guess I will find out but mainly I am wondering if I should try to get my GHP, COC, and MM1 certs before I drop the 20 or else maybe never quite be able to ... those are my three grip goals that seem at about the limit of what I might be able to attain, and I'm not getting any younger, so maybe I should focus on that before the weight loss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

100!?!?!!?!?!  Dang!  Double congrats!  Well I will be 83kg for this one, nothing I can do about that at this point, but now I am truly motivated to lose 20 and get down to the 74 class for the fall.  Query:  I assume losing weight you lose SOME strength.  But was it a lot?  I'm kind of thinking, if it is weight you should be losing anyway, probably you don't lose a whole lot of strength with it.  I guess I will find out but mainly I am wondering if I should try to get my GHP, COC, and MM1 certs before I drop the 20 or else maybe never quite be able to ... those are my three grip goals that seem at about the limit of what I might be able to attain, and I'm not getting any younger, so maybe I should focus on that before the weight loss.

I think you are on the right track. You just might lose substantial strength losing weight while trying to attain those goals. Some people can keep most...  @riccardomagni Has done a fantastic job in doing so.... but if you’re already close to the cert goals I would definitely knock those bad boys out of the park and then have at that weight loss. You’ll have nothing to lose but the weight.... and your strength will adjust over time and you’ll have the achievements under your belt.

4 hours ago, Vinnie said:

most grip stuff wasnt effected much...execpt for my gripper max closes lol. I would wait to drop weight till after your certs if possible.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I think you are on the right track. You just might lose substantial strength losing weight while trying to attain those goals. Some people can keep most...  @riccardomagni Has done a fantastic job in doing so.... but if you’re already close to the cert goals I would definitely knock those bad boys out of the park and then have at that weight loss. You’ll have nothing to lose but the weight.... and your strength will adjust over time and you’ll have the achievements under your belt.

It depends on your body composition and if you lose fat or muscle.  I lost a lot of fat... I'm sure some muscle but a lot of fat.  

Thanks, Joe!!

• 1 month later...

The original post has been updated to reflect that David Garcia has qualified via placement at Oregon's Strongest Hands on May 26th.

On 4/14/2018 at 7:21 AM, Jedd Johnson said:

This is a bigger deal to me than winning NAGS.  Heck of a job brother!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

This is a bigger deal to me than winning NAGS.  Heck of a job brother!

thanks alot brother means a ton.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2018 at 9:59 AM, Tank Andrade said:

Really impressive - congrats again

• Like 1