2018 NAGS Championship Qualified Athletes

Eric Roussin

In listening to the latest episode on This Week in Grip I heard Jedd say he wants to try to make this year’s NAGS Championship the biggest one yet. To help him out, I figured I’d put together a current list of competitors who have qualified to compete at the 2018 NAGS Championship on June 2nd in New York state (exact location to be confirmed).

The list of qualification criteria has not changed from last year and can be found here:

https://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/topic/45851-2016-updated-qualifications-list-for-nags-championship/

Based on my examination of results from NAGS-sanctioned contests from the current season (June 2017 to date), the following men have already qualified. I’ve broken down the list based on how they first qualified to attend (via contest results).

Qualified through participation in 2017 NAGS Championship:

Adam Juncker
Tanner Merkle
Mike Rogowski
Phil Khoshaba
Jason Gonzalez
Gil Goodman
Eric Roussin
John McCarter
Pat Maizels
Aaron Corcorran
Jedd Johnson
Delmar Carter
Andrew Pantke
Tim Fox

Qualified through placement at Oregon’s Strongest Hands:

Michael Thomas

Qualified through placement at SJ4:

Bob Sundin
Dan Fleming
Lucas Raymond
John Wojciechowski
James Retarides
Tim Butler
Rob McMurren
Steve Nichols
Duevorn Harris
Cesare Ricchezza
Shawn Kapusta
Jason Otto
Josh Henze
Matt Kraebring

Qualified through placement at Cross-Canada Grip Sport Challenge:

Tyler Bolzan
Andrew Dube
Mike Murray
Justin Major
Rick Heidebrecht
Ben Collins

Qualified through placement at King Kong:

Sylvain Desjarlais
Steve Millard
David Thornton
Dave Gainer
Joel Dircks
Bryan Hunsaker
Tim Barrett
Mike Rinderle
Joe Sullivan
Leif Welz

Qualified through placement at Gripmas:

Andrew Durniat
Chris Rice
Nick Rosendaul

Qualified through placement at the Northern Freeze:

Adam Thatcher

Qualified through placement at the Hands-on Grip Games:

Dusty Cook
Storm Chellino
John Stepien

Qualified through placement at the Canadian National Grip Sport Championships:

Nick Carignan

Qualified through placement at SJ’s Four-for-February:

Anthony Clarino

Nathaniel Brous

Qualified through placement at the Spring Clench:

Tom Bryson

Jay Smith
Jason Steeves
Jeremy Reay
Derrek Cox

Qualified through placement at Oregon’s Strongest Hands (2018):

David Garcia

Qualified through video submission:

Vincent Rivellese

Matt Lane

Nigel Blackburn

This list may not be complete, as others may have already qualified through the completion of feats during the current season (qualification chance 2), by obtaining an IronMind (CoC #3 or higher) or Mash Monster (level 1 or higher) certification during the current season (qualification chance 3), or by obtaining a one- or two-handed elite total in a given weight class in sanctioned contests during the current season (qualification chance 4). If this is the case, and you do not see your name on this list, please let me know.

You also have time to qualify through feats or certification.

There are no qualification requirements for the women’s division. All women are welcome to compete.

Good luck, and I hope to see you at the NAGS Championship!

• Like 3

I’m in there like swimwear! Only a 4 hr drive for me this year! 

• Like 2

Less than two hours for me so I'll definitely come watch, I'll for sure be in shape to qualify next year.

Good reminder.  I do enjoy qualifying for Nationals every year through Chance 2.  Juuuuuuuuuuust in case :ph34r:

11 hours ago, Chez said:

I’m in there like swimwear! Only a 4 hr drive for me this year! 

With as much as you sweat, you should seriously consider wearing swimwear.😆

How did I qualify from SJ4?!?:blink

2 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Less than two hours for me so I'll definitely come watch, I'll for sure be in shape to qualify next year.

You should compete. One of my best NAGSC memories was watching two 74kg competitors go lift for lift all day. It was awesome.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

You should compete. One of my best NAGSC memories was watching two 74kg competitors go lift for lift all day. It was awesome.

I thought only qualified lifters could compete, isn't that the point of qualifiers?

5 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

I thought only qualified lifters could compete, isn't that the point of qualifiers?

Then qualify.

You have till June.

6 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Then qualify.

You have till June.

Possible. Unfortunately I can't make it to the two Feb comps and all the others are extremely far away from me. I also don't have much official equipment, so I can't film feats even tho the V-bar or rolling thunder are well within my strength.

17 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Possible. Unfortunately I can't make it to the two Feb comps and all the others are extremely far away from me. I also don't have much official equipment, so I can't film feats even tho the V-bar or rolling thunder are well within my strength.

I think you said you were going to be by me for a climbing event in March. I have some of the equipment. We could always meet up either before or after your event and film some lifts. Let me know. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

We can meet up for training sometime and use some equipment if you want. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

I think you said you were going to be by me for a climbing event in March. I have some of the equipment. We could always meet up either before or after your event and film some lifts. Let me know. 

26 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Looks like you got no excuse since both me and Luke can meet up with you. :D

51 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

With as much as you sweat, you should seriously consider wearing swimwear.😆

How did I qualify from SJ4?!?:blink

You placed among the top third in the overall standings.

3 minutes ago, KRC said:

Does a red nail cert count?  Not sure I can do this even if it does, but anything NYS is on my radar.  

A red nail cert during the current season (June 2017 to June 2018) counts.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 11:28 AM, Lucasraymond said:

Awesome. I'm gonna pour over the qualifications list and see what works best then hit you up. 

• Like 1

Holy crap..i qualified. You know it figures id get to go when I have zero ways to train for it🤦🏻‍♂️ 

@Eric Roussin

Thanks so much for taking time and effort to compile this list.  You do a ton of work for Gripsport and should be recognized for it.  Kudos!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The initial post has been updated to reflect those who have qualified through the Hands-on Grip Games, the Canadian National Grip Sport Championships, or SJ’s Four-for-February.

Lots of strong individuals listed -- I hope many can make it to New York on June 2nd.

• 3 weeks later...

Newly qualified lifter, Vincent Rivellese, with the following feats:

Gripper qualifier: close a gripper with a CPW rating over 140.
-closed RB300N, CPW rated 147

Plate pinch qualifier: lift two 35 pound plates, smooth side out, in one hand.
-did so, right hand

Euro Pinch qualifier:  lift over 180 pounds
- did 183
  • Like 4

Two other lifters who are qualified are Matt Lane and Nigel Blackburn.  I just need to round up the videos they've sent me.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2018 at 11:32 AM, Chez said:

Looks like you got no excuse since both me and Luke can meet up with you. :D

He can also come to my house and do the same as he is within 1.5 hours of me!!!! NO EXCUSES MICHAEL! 

Just saw that I qualify for this. Definitely on the list for the year and looking forward to seeing everyone! WHHHOOOOOOOO! And yes Eric does deserve some special thanks for how he diligently takes care of these stats and figures. It is quite amazing!

Yes, there will be an open masters division (50+ years). Further details will soon be posted.

On 1/22/2018 at 10:22 PM, Eric Roussin said:

In listening to the latest episode on This Week in Grip I heard Jedd say he wants to try to make this year’s NAGS Championship the biggest one yet. To help him out, I figured I’d put together a current list of competitors who have qualified to compete at the 2018 NAGS Championship on June 2nd in New York state (exact location to be confirmed).

The list of qualification criteria has not changed from last year and can be found here:

https://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/topic/45851-2016-updated-qualifications-list-for-nags-championship/

Based on my examination of results from NAGS-sanctioned contests from the current season (June 2017 to date), the following men have already qualified. I’ve broken down the list based on how they first qualified to attend (via contest results).

Qualified through participation in 2017 NAGS Championship:

Adam Juncker
Tanner Merkle
Mike Rogowski
Phil Khoshaba
Jason Gonzalez
Gil Goodman
Eric Roussin
John McCarter
Pat Maizels
Aaron Corcorran
Jedd Johnson
Delmar Carter
Andrew Pantke
Tim Fox

Qualified through placement at Oregon’s Strongest Hands:

Michael Thomas

Qualified through placement at SJ4:

Bob Sundin
Dan Fleming
Lucas Raymond
John Wojciechowski
James Retarides
Tim Butler
Rob McMurren
Steve Nichols
Duevorn Harris
Cesare Ricchezza
Shawn Kapusta
Jason Otto
Josh Henze
Matt Kraebring

Qualified through placement at Cross-Canada Grip Sport Challenge:

Tyler Bolzan
Andrew Dube
Mike Murray
Justin Major
Rick Heidebrecht
Ben Collins

Qualified through placement at King Kong:

Sylvain Desjarlais
Steve Millard
David Thornton
Dave Gainer
Joel Dircks
Bryan Hunsaker
Tim Barrett
Mike Rinderle
Joe Sullivan
Leif Welz

Qualified through placement at Gripmas:

Andrew Durniat
Chris Rice
Nick Rosendaul

Qualified through placement at the Northern Freeze:

Adam Thatcher

Qualified through placement at the Hands-on Grip Games:

Dusty Cook
Storm Chellino
John Stepien

Qualified through placement at the Canadian National Grip Sport Championships:

Nick Carignan

Qualified through placement at SJ’s Four-for-February:

Anthony Clarino

Nathaniel Brous

This list may not be complete, as others may have already qualified through the completion of feats during the current season (qualification chance 2), by obtaining an IronMind (CoC #3 or higher) or Mash Monster (level 1 or higher) certification during the current season (qualification chance 3), or by obtaining a one- or two-handed elite total in a given weight class in sanctioned contests during the current season (qualification chance 4). If this is the case, and you do not see your name on this list, please let me know.

Currently, you’ll have at least three more opportunities to qualify through NAGS-sanctioned contests between now and June 2nd:

The Spring Clench (Mar 31)
AZ Cactus Grip Shootout (Apr 28)
Oregon’s Strongest Hands (May 26)

You also have time to qualify through feats or certification.

There are no qualification requirements for the women’s division. All women are welcome to compete.

Good luck, and I hope to see you at the NAGS Championship!

Hi - I qualified for the 83kg weight class by sending Jedd vids of me doing feats, and he announced me on here somewhere as having qualified.  I can send you the link if you need it.  Thanks, -- Vinnie Rivellese