Adjustable Pinch concept

Andrew Dube

• Like 6

This could become a new extreme grip strength device. Attach a motor and gearbox to the threaded shaft, competitor grips device and force is increased until their hand breaks. Whoever holds on longest wins. Patent pending. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looks like something out of a saw movie 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adam Juncker said:

Whoa. Super cool/sexy pinch device. 

Thanks Adam! I had been thinking about ways to make the euro easier to use but after seeing your adjustable device I'm convinced that is the way to go. I wanted to make something that was really easy to adjust with no tools and lighter if possible. This achieves both of those but I think there is a better version waiting to be built. Overall there is more play in the device than I would like. I considered a scissor jack mechanism too. That would support the plates at the top too. But it requires more moving pieces and would take up more real estate inside the plates reducing the minimum setting. Also I'm pleased with the overall weight but I prefer (as I believe others do) to pinch on steel. A steel veneer would be a possible option. Or just accept lower pinch numbers, which is fine for training. 

• Like 1

Great concept! You could always use thicker material, bigger dowels and possible bronze bushings for a better fit and less wiggle. The bushings can have a flange on them that protrudes to the outside. That should help.

4 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

Great concept! You could always use thicker material, bigger dowels and possible bronze bushings for a better fit and less wiggle. The bushings can have a flange on them that protrudes to the outside. That should help.

mfswDlMQ_MZLDK0ULXMKC3Q.jpg

Im just saying, this is one of the coolest things I've seen for grip stuff.  It always makes me smile when I cobble something together and it inspires someone else to take the concept to the next level and make it better.  

• Like 1

Cool, you just need some blocks of wood for a spacer at the top, so you can kinda clamp on it. Set the block sizes to give you incremental widths on the outside so you don' have to measure and guess every time.

13 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Cool, you just need some blocks of wood for a spacer at the top, so you can kinda clamp on it. Set the block sizes to give you incremental widths on the outside so you don' have to measure and guess every time.

I assumed the point of this was to get infinite widths, if you had to have multiple blocks then it's not much different than just using a Euro pinch device

My only issue with the concept is you've got nothing stabllizing the top to prevent the pinch surfaces tilting/flexing inwards. 

If you were to heavy 2HP I think you'd notice this. I DO think it'd work pretty well for 1 hand lifts.

It is a very thought provoking design though . . . .perhaps if the guide rods were a little higher and really snug. . .

30 minutes ago, gripmaniac said:

My only issue with the concept is you've got nothing stabllizing the top to prevent the pinch surfaces tilting/flexing inwards. 

If you were to heavy 2HP I think you'd notice this. I DO think it'd work pretty well for 1 hand lifts.

It is a very thought provoking design though . . . .perhaps if the guide rods were a little higher and really snug. . .

Or having 4 dowels pins instead of two. Two slightly higher than the other two. 

22 hours ago, Andrew P said:

That is pure genius.  

Thanks Andrew!

22 hours ago, Climber028 said:

I assumed the point of this was to get infinite widths, if you had to have multiple blocks then it's not much different than just using a Euro pinch device

This.

12 hours ago, acromegaman said:

Or having 4 dowels pins instead of two. Two slightly higher than the other two. 

The problem with this is that anything on the top is in the way of your hands. It could be made wider however. Bushings are a great idea especially if it proves to wear out from use. I decided to forego them as I just wanted a proof of concept.

22 hours ago, wobbler said:

Eventually I want to mount a scale on the side so you don't have to measure each time.

I think the next version should look more like @Adam Juncker original design. It would just use the thread to move the plates and then would still be clamped in place with a screw that has a tab welded to it so no tools are required. The more things I add the heavier it gets though. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

The more things I add the heavier it gets though. 

Go Nuts I like Heavy. :)

• Like 2

What if there were four turn buckles welded to the inside of the plates... two on top and two toward the bottom...

you would loose some of the range of adjustment, but that might take care of most of the Flex while still keeping the adjustment out of the gripping area.

It looks like these concepts would be better suited for shallow grip work. If you shorten the gripping area (the moving plate height) the less wobble or taper you will have near the top. Just for the neck of it I messed around with Adam's concept as well and made a couple variations of an easy to make shallow pinch device.

1 inch adjustable pinch.jpg

Rounded Jaw.JPG

1inch Adjustable Pinch Dimensions.JPG

• Like 3