King Kong Survey

Andrew P

14 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

The weight is moving through space at  a great speed which makes it dynamic.....all grip in its essence is “static”or shall I say isometric.... but the fact that you’re moving great loads through space rather than just a deadlift makes it dynamic and more likely to break your grip

Grippers are dynamic. Pinches, bars and most odd objects are isometric. 

16 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

The weight is moving through space at  a great speed which makes it dynamic.....all grip in its essence is “static”or shall I say isometric.... but the fact that you’re moving great loads through space rather than just a deadlift makes it dynamic and more likely to break your grip

This.

4 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Grippers are dynamic. Pinches, bars and most odd objects are isometric. 

You’re missing the point of what I mean by dynamic.... the weight is moving at a great speed increasing your need to clamp down on the bar. Yes the grip action is dynamic.... but the velocity the weight is moving increases the difficulty astronomically.... so it’s like a combo.

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You’re missing the point of what I mean by dynamic.... the weight is moving at a great speed increasing your need to clamp down on the bar. Yes the grip action is dynamic.... but the velocity the weight is moving increases the difficulty astronomically.... so it’s like a combo.

Yea I agree with you. But this is a grip competition, not weight lifting. The focus is different. 

The whole issue of people doing axle cleans, axle presses, kettlebell-flask-swings has been hashed out and rehashed so many times and no one has a coherent answer on what is the best way to test grip.  I would train for an axle-whatever if it were in a comp and I think most of the people on here who are interested in grip sport would also train for it.  I have to agree with Mike here, that an axle clean is not the best way to test grip because it is a pretty complex move to lift heavy without getting hurt.  

• Like 1

I think we can all agree that the stub is the best test of grip strength, also nearly eliminates the risk of lower back injuries due to low weights. No mobility requirements, height and hand size don't even matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I think - grippers most popularing grip event, so if there was one exercise with them, no matter what - it would be great.
Feature KK - events on 1 hand. The grippers fully correspond to this ideology.

Maybe analog Silver Bullet - but on grippers from FBBC.

Range from X1 (for kids and woman) and to X5  and P2 (for heavyweight) - all knurling handles from steel.

SB - also from steel.

Grippers would be calibrated.

Napalm Nightmare decreases the issue with the people complaining of the axle deadlift at it is performed from 16-18" which his much nicer on the lumbar spine. 

• Like 1

Farmers handles or frame pick and hold for time.  2" handles?

On 1/23/2018 at 4:33 PM, Lucasraymond said:

Inch pinch versus the stub!! Although stub is life

I didn’t choose the stub life. The stub life chose me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2018 at 7:48 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

I would love a face lever or a TNS gripper event or both!

I love TNS closes!  I'd vote for that as well.

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I love TNS closes!  I'd vote for that as well.

Yea man. TNS is where it’s at. I don’t even know how to do any other way... nor do I want to!

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yea man. TNS is where it’s at. I don’t even know how to do any other way... nor do I want to!

I'm not great at setting.  I can TNS my hard 2.5 (132) but I have yet to close my average 3 (150) even with my best set.

Just now, Vinnie said:

I'm not great at setting.  I can TNS my hard 2.5 (132) but I have yet to close my average 3 (150) even with my best set.

If you keep practicing TNS, in my eyes, there will be nothing you can’t close. To me, it’s the most impressive way and legit way  to close a gripper. There can be no person that gives you any ribbing about using your other hand to pre close it or call you a cheater like people that know nothing about grippers say. It saves the naysayers from disrespecting your accomplishments. I love being able to pick up a hard gripper with one hand and not setting it and smashing it closed for multiple reps. It’s a great feeling! 

6 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Furthermore... if I need my other hand to pre close a gripper to shut it... then I have no business using that gripper. This is my personal opinion and no disrespect to others that close grippers with other sets. They are also closing them and working hard. I just prefer the hardest ways to do things. I feel it has the most pay off... and most carryover to my other Grip endeavors with the full range closes

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

Furthermore... if I need my other hand to pre close a gripper to shut it... then I have no business using that gripper. This is my personal opinion and no disrespect to others that close grippers with other sets. They are also closing them and working hard. I just prefer the hardest ways to do things. I feel it has the most pay off... and most carryover to my other Grip endeavors with the full range closes

I don't object to setting, but I will say that allowing narrow sets seems to be why even though lots of people close even hard 3s in comps, there aren't that many COCs -- because the wider set is harder for most people.

5 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I don't object to setting, but I will say that allowing narrow sets seems to be why even though lots of people close even hard 3s in comps, there aren't that many COCs -- because the wider set is harder for most people.

You mean not many certified? Yes that’s right. Because they can close from very deep sets. 

On 26/01/2018 at 7:54 PM, Climber028 said:

Yea I agree with you. But this is a grip competition, not weight lifting. The focus is different. 

On 27/01/2018 at 3:30 AM, Adam Juncker said:

The whole issue of people doing axle cleans, axle presses, kettlebell-flask-swings has been hashed out and rehashed so many times and no one has a coherent answer on what is the best way to test grip.  I would train for an axle-whatever if it were in a comp and I think most of the people on here who are interested in grip sport would also train for it.  I have to agree with Mike here, that an axle clean is not the best way to test grip because it is a pretty complex move to lift heavy without getting hurt.  

I found that my grip strength increased dramatically when I started doing cleans with globe dumbbells and the 'Holle-It-Up'.......the pressure that the movement puts on your grip is immense, and strength increase follows as a natural result. Believe me, an Inch clean is the best way to test your grip.........

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, LAINE SNOOK said:

I found that my grip strength increased dramatically when I started doing cleans with globe dumbbells and the 'Holle-It-Up'.......the pressure that the movement puts on your grip is immense, and strength increase follows as a natural result. Believe me, an Inch clean is the best way to test your grip.........

What is a "Holle-It-Up"? I've never heard of that before. Any videos of it somewhere?

2 hours ago, LAINE SNOOK said:

I agree with you Laine. Also axle cleans. Jedd has a 127 pound inch shot loadable that I love to clean and push press whenever I get to his house to train. I have an inch but of course can’t clean that sucker yet... only deadlift it. 

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

What is a "Holle-It-Up"? I've never heard of that before. Any videos of it somewhere?

Holle it up is an inch style dumbbell made by Nathan Holle. I believe it was sold by Iron mind? Correct me if I am wrong Laine?

4 hours ago, LAINE SNOOK said:

I think it's a fantastic way to train, I just don't feel it's ideal in a competition setting.

I can not remember what I responded in the survey and I am unaware of what Andrew and Eric’s criteria are. However there are a few factors that I think might be important to consider. With every event change a venue promoter must purchase the additional equipment at their expense. The equipment must also be shipable world wide at a reasonable cost. The equipment must also be available for purchase to those wishing to train on the actual implement.

custom axles may not be the best fit for this kind of international multi-venue competitions for these reasons.

The events contested are the organizers decision.

i personally would be interested in any competition featuring the gold bar, Dube cube(bearing), ATB, or Napalms Nightmare.

And if any one is so inclined, you can always start a challenge thread here or elsewhere on the internet to compete against others in the lift of your choice. 

• Like 2