2018 AZ Cactus Grip Shootout

acorn

One of our local long time Tucson Athletes has decided to take lead on running this contest this year. Hence the late timing of getting this up here. I will be assisting him with running it and helping in general so it goes smoothly. About all he has determined so far is the tentative date and venue location. I will be working with him over the weekend to finalize the events as well but it will likely be 20mm grippers, Euro pinch or Saxon bar pinch, and some thickbar event such as axle or crusher, etc. I will get more info up as I have it but wanted to get this out there so folks could start planning if they wanted to make the trip. Will be same gym we had last years spring comp at. If you have any questions or comments feel free to drop them here or PM me.

AZ Cactus Grip Shootout 2018

Promoter: Steve Callahan & Aaron Corcorran

Date: 4/28/2018

• Like 4

Steve and I still need to discuss events so its always a posibility. I don't have any griptopz, or an IM hub anymore though. I do have a comp ready setup for FBBC anvil and just made a dimensionally accurate copy of an IM anvil for myself to train with out of cast iron for the Feb. New Jersey comp @anwnate is hosting. The hubs I have on hand are customs that bolt to plate stack or hard mount on loading pin top to more accurately simulate hubbing on a plate. Lemme know if any of those sound interesting. Have the spherical plate loadable Inch handle too that we have used in the past for thickbar event. I've got a 6#, 8#, and 12# Sledge as well as shot loadable one that FBBC made many years ago with a base weight around 8#. Tons of other toys as well.

• Like 1

@WestSlope oh and can do the Swap top vbar setup with comp plates and currently have 1.5" and 50mm tops made for it though I could be persuaded to make other sizes if needed.

- Aaron

Looks like events Steve wants to run are:

20mm Block set grippers

2 hand pinch DL - Euro

2" FBBC Crusher DL

and Anvil DL (using mine that is similar to the Ironmind Little Big Horn)

I am having him verify that the date will work and the tenative start time of 10:30am at the gym he plans to hold the comp at.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I live in Phoenix. I plan to be there. Thanks for putting it together. 

@Rogo  If you are in PHX, and have an interest to train let me know.  I had a training day at the house earlier in the year, and a few people showed up.   

1 minute ago, WestSlope said:

@Boulderbrew are you going to this one?

Unfortunately no. It was so fun last year, but I am taking a break from grip training to focus on some rock climbing goals. I have found that the two are mutually exclusive. I suck at grip so bad right now. I couldn’t do a competition.

18 hours ago, WestSlope said:

@acorn have you guys firmed up the date yet? Regarding the anvil - I'm assuming it can't be used to get on the LBH NAGS list. Would you ask Steve if he wants to use my LBH so we could get our lifts recorded. 

Sorry for the slacking on details. I have a message out to Steve on this to verify that date is solid. I'm sure he would be fine with using your LBH if you wanted to bring it.

Will try to get the rest of the details solidified asap.

- Aaron

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 1:32 PM, acorn said:

Sorry for the slacking on details. I have a message out to Steve on this to verify that date is solid. I'm sure he would be fine with using your LBH if you wanted to bring it.

Will try to get the rest of the details solidified asap.

- Aaron

@WestSlope Was to meet up with Steve today during lunchtime to finalize details but have a sick child today and it did not happen. He was able to verify that the date is solidified and set with the gym though. Rescheduled meetup for Friday.

I met with Steve on Friday and we discussed some more details of the comp.

Date is firm 4/28/2018

Location will be: Tucson Strength Gym

Start time 10:30 for rules and events to begin when rules are finished. Weigh ins allowed on site starting at 8:30 am

Events are still the same: Grippers (20mm), 2 hand pinch DL (Euro), 2" Crusher DL, and Anvil horn DL ( IM Little Big horn if Westslope brings his, otherwise my similar training equivalent)

Entry Fee: TBD

Shirts: Maybe (Steve is checking with person to do artwork)

I'll get the entry form up online as soon as he makes decision on shirts and entry fee. Hopefully soon.

- Aaron

• 5 weeks later...

Ok I finally worked out entry fee details, etc with Steve. No entry fee on this comp! 

Martin has made some kick butt blacksmithed bottle openers from railroad spikes for the prizes for top 3 men and women. Thank you Martin @bwwm

Please get your entries in if you are planning to attend so we can get some idea of headcount.

Online entry form and details here:

http://www.az-grip.com/contests.php

- Aaron

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for working with Steve and putting this on Aaron!  Thanks also for stamping the bottleopeners!  Can't wait to meet the new folks showing up tomorrow!

On 4/27/2018 at 11:10 PM, bencrush said:

Hope everyone has a great time and hits a bunch of PRs!

Thanks Ben.

Have had some strange bug, and was 10-15% off where I expected to be, but still happy to compete and place.  Was a great time!  Thanks to Steve and Aaron for putting it on!!!

• Like 2

Congrats to Aaron and Steve on 1st & 2nd place!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

This comp was so much fun! All the southern Arizona folks were fantastic. Thanks to Aaron and Steve for putting this comp on and to Martin for the super cool twisted railroad spike awards.

Was awesome having you down. Thank you for making the trip and I hope the rest of your trip back was awesome