Thoughts on Finger boards/ hang boards for AW

Gingernaut25

Recently inspired to get back into arm wrestling, and its rekindled my love for grip training. I had a nasty quad tendon rupture back in August. 5 months post surgery and a lot runs through a guys mind while rehabbing. Will I ever be able to advance in strongman? being high on the list. Can I achieve my highland games goals when Im  going to be terrified of caber?  Most importantly, if those avenues become closed to me....whats next? 

Well after 40-45 i agree'd with the mrs that ill drop weight to below 250 so we can do things like go karts that i cant now lol this would lend itself to rock climbing, coupled with the fact I've always had good grip and upper back strength. and I think the sport of climbing is pretty wicked!

So my desire to set up some climbing things in my basement arent JUST for AW, but i'd like to think they couldnt hurt. wondering if anyone has any experience with such things having carry over into AW? 

I wouldn't recommend anybody start hangboard training with less than 2 years of dedicated climbing training especially at a heavy weight. The risk for injury is extremely high. The only safe way would be if you had a method of scaling it accordingly, using a lot of resistance bands for assistance or building a pulley system to remove a significant portion of body weight

• Like 1

Remember what happened when you first tried your metolious blocks Jay. I think a fingerboard will up the potential danger a lot. 

Have you ever actually been rock climbing?  I think that would be a better place to start than hangboarding.  A hang board doesn't really have to be considered advanced training for a typical climber who is pretty light in weight but a typical 250# "lifter" should do some other training before embarking on a dedicated hang board routine.  Like has been said the risk reward can be pretty high.  Most weight work doesn't develop strong "fingers" - a strong grip is (or can be ) a lot different.  If you do decide to do it make yourself a deload  system or at the least limit yourself to big holds for quite a while.  Pulley injuries are no joke.

Edited by climber511

thanks for the responses guys! Ya Jason i remember clearly lol that pop took a while to heal up.  but that was really just, stupidity. 

here's the plan i have sorted so far.... start with a basic repeater for beginners program.  climber,  i should have mentioned i plead. to build a simple pully system because in every video I've watched that's highly recommended. and that's for lighter people,  in 290 currently.  the nearest combing wal is 2.5 hours away.  so that's out for regular training right now.  and i dunno how the landlords would feel about a mini climbing wall on the basement lol although if we renew out lease,  I'd consider it for sure after seeing some pretty cool designs online for diy walls! 

this is a long term goal,  im in no rush.  especially to get hurt! 

having elaborated a bit more does this sound more reasonable?  i could even see buying some larger hand holds, maybe some  jugs, other positive holds too bolt to my main basement beams and work on more climber focused base strength too.  again,  this is a long term goal,  no huge rush here

• 1 month later...

I have a hangboard and it was great for increasing fingertip strength for climbing but I don't think it really helped with armwrestling.  I'm just about as beginner as you can get with armwrestling but so far the best training tool I bought was my gronk fitness multi grip pull-up bar.  I use 4 different grips and do sets of full pull ups, half pull-ups, weighted pull-ups and static hangs with and without added weight.  I mostly use the hammer grip handles and the 45 degree handles but do regular palms out and palms in ones as well.  

So far The better I get at pull-ups from all different angles the better I'm getting at actual armwrestling.

• Like 1

awesome.  thanks for the reply. i dread pull ups And chins. im hovering around 290 right now and ive always been able to do vertical pulls even at 306. best was 17 at 285. it's been a while since I've done sets of 10 though but sounds like they're a key exercise.... ill start adding them in the way you described

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 8:39 PM, Jeff Parker said:

I have a hangboard and it was great for increasing fingertip strength for climbing but I don't think it really helped with armwrestling.  I'm just about as beginner as you can get with armwrestling but so far the best training tool I bought was my gronk fitness multi grip pull-up bar.  I use 4 different grips and do sets of full pull ups, half pull-ups, weighted pull-ups and static hangs with and without added weight.  I mostly use the hammer grip handles and the 45 degree handles but do regular palms out and palms in ones as well.  

So far The better I get at pull-ups from all different angles the better I'm getting at actual armwrestling.

When you say half pull up, do you mean the top half or the bottom half? 

Top half.  Starting at elbows 90 degrees and then chin over the bar.  Sometimes I will do holds at the top and holds at 90 for like 10 seconds each instead of just doing rep after rep

Too much pegboard can jack up your elbows - be careful.

11 hours ago, Gingernaut25 said:

man i tried a peg board here in jail *jail guard, not inmate :p * and was floored at how hard those actually are!

I did to my man.... not as inmate but as a guard. It is wicked hard!