Brian Shaw half 145lb york blob lift

Paul Savage

4 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I was also watching parts of the WSM events posted on Youtube. I noticed Terry Hollands using a regular double overhand grip to clean the 168 kg axle they used in the heats. So apparently it can be done, at least for when the weights are lighter and they do the event for reps. For max weight when they go up to 200-220 kg, then yeah it might be a bit to much for them to clean with an overhand grip.

Terry has the world record double overhand axle deadlift at 240kg so he can clean them double overhand. This may infact be a big part as to why he is so strong in the deadlift, as he's always used double overhand grip on cleans. It saves energy if you have the grip strength for it.

17 hours ago, KapMan said:

Last few years I dont remember seeing it. They used to do lots of odd object and block pressing too.

Its more crossfit(ish) now with its dynamic time limit type events. Hard to do any sort of meaningful commentary with the same guys doing the same shit yearly. Its a snooze fest. I stopped watching after 2015.  

Even the local events are boring. Always the same type of stuff with very little variation. Overhead, car deadlift, stones or a carry of some type. 

One thing I liked about the older strongman shows is the creativity in the events. Yeah sure some didnt make sense as functional or whatever. But it was really cool watching kaz run uphil with a oak barrel and smash another guy’s barrel off his shoulder. 

I completely agree in regards to the same old boring events. It used to be way better when they used a lot of different events and more true strongman events. Nowadays it's gone much closer to powerlifting / gym strength.

I much prefer the UK's strongest man (this is another popular show in the UK, both this and wsm are on TV at Christmas time here) where there's 13 different events over 3 days and new events each year. They are a great mix of events and a lot of true strongman events, rock pressing, car flip, stone carrying, arm over arm pulls, farmer walks, tug of war, pole push, carry and drag medleys etc even bar bending and arm wrestling are in sometimes.

• Like 2

WSM has lost it's interest for me.  There are only a few guys with a realistic chance of winning a given event - let alone winning the whole thing.  Same events - same guys - I think to stay alive they are going to have to do "something" to create some spectator excitement.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, climber511 said:

WSM has lost it's interest for me.  There are only a few guys with a realistic chance of winning a given event - let alone winning the whole thing.  Same events - same guys - I think to stay alive they are going to have to do "something" to create some spectator excitement.  

I think that’s just a sports evolution thing. As strongman has evolved though its different stages there has often been a top field of athletes suited for that particular era. The current era seems to have suited the giants and those with good powerlifting type strength like Brian, Hafthor, Big Z and Eddie. I still enjoy the current state of strongman. I find it just as interesting as ever. The setup of the competition is different these days, but I still enjoy it. Each era has its own charm to me. I also have a habit of going through all the old WSM competitions all the way back to 1977 once every other year or so. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2018 at 10:50 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

It was more appealing as entertainment that way..... more diverse in its events and more everyday objects that folks can relate to were used..... and it wasn’t just powerlifters or weight lifters or strictly strongmen.... it was from a diverse pool of rugged athletes increasing interest across the board. It was a lot more interesting back then. But to each their own. And injuries happen all the time now too.... the refrigerator not being balanced adds to the wow factor. These everyday objects are interesting. The contraptions they have now to me are not. Injury is inevitable no matter what era though I’m afraid.

I was just watching the 1990 WSM contest and thought of this thread. This was the worst event lineup ever in my opinion and they robbed OD. He was the strongest that year. Last event was literally a sprint which obviously greatly favored Jon Paul. The rock loading event was crazy stupid also. Rocks went everywhere and there weren’t enough. Even with the first event, the announcer stated he got harder as the logs soaked up the water and they used a nylon rope which was tough on the hands. So many event flaws 

Edited by Chez

9 hours ago, Chez said:

I was just watching the 1990 WSM contest and thought of this thread. This was the worst event lineup ever in my opinion and they robbed OD. He was the strongest that year. Last event was literally a sprint which obviously greatly favored Jon Paul. The rock loading event was crazy stupid also. Rocks went everywhere and there weren’t enough. Even with the first event, the announcer stated he got harder as the logs soaked up the water and they used a nylon rope which was tough on the hands. So many event flaws 

Yes they all aren’t great but still wayyyy better than what we get nowadays. They are so generic now. Nothing creative. But to each their own. Maybe you are younger and like the newer stuff because it was what you were exposed to now.