Brian Shaw half 145lb york blob lift

Paul Savage

I’ve only been using chalk since meeting Jedd Johnson.... I actually do better without it on many implements including anvil and V bar.... chalk doesn’t make an implement stick to you. It dries your hand and makes it more consistent. I am all for chalk in any sport such as gymnastics; powerlifters or gripsters. However, and Jedd can attest to this.... I did. Not use it at all until encouragement from him  because I did see it as an aid. I figure if I train without chaik it would translate big time! But yes I do use it now.

As long as everyone is competing under the same set of rules, I'm not going to complain.  Raw, geared, tested, untested, straps, no straps, etc.

Personally, I lift nekid.  Imagine my surprise when they made me put on a singlet and shoes at my first meet after I stripped down on the platform for my opening squat.  :blush

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I see it if you can’t grip it then you can’t lift it. 

I see where you are coming from but I don't see anyone on the gripboard do this 400KG X 4 reps even with all the power in their hand plus straps (I hope I am wrong though). Let's be realistic here. Anyone who do do a certain weight with straps double over hand can do it in reverse grip without straps; but want to avoid any potential biceps tear. Maybe you mean for competition it shouldn't be allowed?

17 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

To me it is.... everyone’s opinion differs.... no better or no worse. Straps are just as bad as wearing bench suits or the like. If you can’t lift it pure then you can’t lift it in a real world situation.... you can’t say hold on I gotta suit up and grab my straps. That’s just how I look at it and always have looked a it. I appreciate your view though. Thanks for your input!

Any gears or suits I also don't like to see them used. But maybe it has benefits in training? I don't know I don't powerlift. I won't argue in which I don't train in or have no experience in.

9 hours ago, DAVE101 said:

Do you use chalk @Fist of Fury or @Joseph Sullivan?

Chalk removes the natural oil and moisture from your hand. To argue it's not a performance enhancing substance is silly. Just like tacky, squat suit, or anything else: ask them to repeat the feat without it, and you'll see they can't. So then where do you draw the line?

Pretty much this. Atlas stones are not natural in the first place. Real stones have flat edges where you can get a grip and tacky is not necessary. Atlas stones allow you control the variance found across stones and make the feat similar for someone living  in Nebraska or Germany or Botswana.

Yes the chalk too is a help. My hands are very oily I cannot even deadlift a 32.5 blob york blob without chalk (but can lift it when my hands are dry, but they usually gets oily).

4 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I hope they would switch to real/natural stones in Strongman actually. That would be way cooler. I've seen some comps using them. It was way more interesting to watch.

You're in luck, they're using natural stones for this year's Arnold Classic.

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

You're in luck, they're using natural stones for this year's Arnold Classic.

That's great. Too bad I never watch that contest. I wish they would commercialize strongman in a better way. I mean, not broadcasting WSM finals live is pretty retarded if you ask me. Not sure what they're thinking to be honest.

They did broadcast the finals in Sweden live recently and it was a big success.

4 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

That's great. Too bad I never watch that contest. I wish they would commercialize strongman in a better way. I mean, not broadcasting WSM finals live is pretty retarded if you ask me. Not sure what they're thinking to be honest.

They did broadcast the finals in Sweden live recently and it was a big success.

It’s because it’s not a money maker or a main stream sport. It probably never will be. Most people don’t get it nor care to watch it. It’s too bad. They do some amazing things. 

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

It’s because it’s not a money maker or a main stream sport. It probably never will be. Most people don’t get it nor care to watch it. It’s too bad. They do some amazing things. 

Nah, of course it will never be if you're not trying. You have to start somewhere.

Also it is popular to watch, Strongman was broadcasted on TV here in Sweden when Magnus Samuelsson was active and it was very popular. Many people watched it, even people who are not even in to training at all appreciated it.

It is not true that people wouldn't watch it. I'm not really sure why you made that guess to be honest.

6 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Nah, of course it will never be if you're not trying. You have to start somewhere.

Also it is popular to watch, Strongman was broadcasted on TV here in Sweden when Magnus Samuelsson was active and it was very popular. Many people watched it, even people who are not even in to training at all appreciated it.

It is not true that people wouldn't watch it. I'm not really sure why you made that guess to be honest.

Here in America nobody seems to care about it unless directly or indirectly  involved with it. It’s different in Europe. Much different. I don’t know why though. Maybe because there is a much bigger focus on strength athletics there and people get state sponsored for it?

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Here in America nobody seems th care about it unless involved with it. It’s different in Europe. Much different. 

Might be the case. You have Baseball and Football that people seem to watch endlessly. Here in Europe there's really only Soccer that are huge.

That is still not a valid excuse not to try to make the sport greater tho. The fitness industry is a growing business.

People only want to act as if they are into fitness, but not actually do any work. I don't think strongman will ever be mainstream, especially with the current decline in average fitness which isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

3 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

People only want to act as if they are into fitness, but not actually do any work. I don't think strongman will ever be mainstream, especially with the current decline in average fitness which isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

I can only speak of how it is here. I don't know how it is in the states but over here more gyms are opening all the time. It's a very good business to get in to here right now. Fitness has never been more popular than it is now over here.

I doubt Sweden is alone in this. I don't know, I'm only speculating but I would guess it should be similar, at least in the rest of northern Europe.

Also, Strongman doesn't have to be mainstream. It should at least be available to watch live on the internet. Sports should be viewed live, or at least a day or two after it's finished. Otherwise there won't be as much interest. The fact that they broadcast the WSM finals six months or so after it's finished is a big part of the reason the sport doesn't grow.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Might be the case. You have Baseball and Football that people seem to watch endlessly. Here in Europe there's really only Soccer that are huge.

That is still not a valid excuse not to try to make the sport greater tho. The fitness industry is a growing business.

I agree

If you want the everyday Joe to get interested, bring back the original events and atmosphere and watch the tv ratings sky rocket.  It was one of the highest rated sports events on 70's tv.

Water Barrel clean and press, bar bend, wrist roll, tire toss, tram pull, car deadlift, scantilly clad girl squat, refrigerator race, arm wrestling, wheelbarrow race, and tug of war.

Invite famous athletes from other sports to build fan interest like they did in the 70s: strongman, powerlifting, pro wrastlers, NFL players, bodybuilders, etc.  It's not much more exciting nowadays than a powerlifting meet held outside.  Bring back the crazy 70s.  Or at least make them all wear Ken Patera wigs and provide copious amounts of alcohol and amphetamines. :D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

If you want the everyday Joe to get interested, bring back the original events and atmosphere and watch the tv ratings sky rocket.  It was one of the highest rated sports events on 70's tv.

Water Barrel clean and press, bar bend, wrist roll, tire toss, tram pull, car deadlift, scantilly clad girl squat, refrigerator race, arm wrestling, wheelbarrow race, and tug of war.

Invite famous athletes from other sports to build fan interest like they did in the 70s: strongman, powerlifting, pro wrastlers, NFL players, bodybuilders, etc.  It's not much more exciting nowadays than a powerlifting meet held outside.  Bring back the crazy 70s.  Or at least make them all wear Ken Patera wigs and provide copious amounts of alcohol and amphetamines. :D

Dude that’s the only way I’d have any interest in watching! They really made it generic and boring. It was so cool in the 70s and early 80s! Or is that just our nostalgic things were better in our day like our parents always said? NAAAAAH... it really was better back then!

This is cool to watch, too!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Dude that’s the only way I’d have any interest in watching! They really made it generic and boring. It was so cool in the 70s and early 80s! Or is that just our nostalgic things were better in our day like our parents always said? NAAAAAH... it really was better back then!

Funny. I actually feel the opposite way. I thought the old events were kind of silly and sometimes dangerous (refrigerator race where Franco Colombo dislocated his knee. the fridge wasn't well balanced like a yoke). the range of motion on some of the events was ridiculous like the coin deadlift since the bar started high and bent a lot. I like the events better now. Everyone has their own tastes though.   

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

Funny. I actually feel the opposite way. I thought the old events were kind of silly and sometimes dangerous (refrigerator race where Franco Colombo dislocated his knee. the fridge wasn't well balanced like a yoke). the range of motion on some of the events was ridiculous like the coin deadlift since the bar started high and bent a lot. I like the events better now. Everyone has their own tastes though.   

It was more appealing as entertainment that way..... more diverse in its events and more everyday objects that folks can relate to were used..... and it wasn’t just powerlifters or weight lifters or strictly strongmen.... it was from a diverse pool of rugged athletes increasing interest across the board. It was a lot more interesting back then. But to each their own. And injuries happen all the time now too.... the refrigerator not being balanced adds to the wow factor. These everyday objects are interesting. The contraptions they have now to me are not. Injury is inevitable no matter what era though I’m afraid.

Edited by Guest

37 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I was watching some 2017 strongman last night on youtube. A couple things that i found frustrating were the poor quality of video, and the boring commentary. 

Seemed like i kept hearing "Beuller?.... Beuller?... Beuller?..."

events werent overly exciting either. Everything seemed to have a 1 minute time limit. While i understand the need to make it more of a race for reps to save time, id prefer to see reps till failure from the big guys lifting heavy stuff. Or at least someone actually finish dragging something across the finish line before a clock stops the whole thing.

would be cool to see the crucifix hold come back. And definitely some arm wrestling. And since i only watched about 15 minutes worth out of frustration, i didnt see one of my favorite events, the keg toss. Is the keg toss at least still around?

Last few years I dont remember seeing it. They used to do lots of odd object and block pressing too.

Its more crossfit(ish) now with its dynamic time limit type events. Hard to do any sort of meaningful commentary with the same guys doing the same shit yearly. Its a snooze fest. I stopped watching after 2015.  

Even the local events are boring. Always the same type of stuff with very little variation. Overhead, car deadlift, stones or a carry of some type. 

One thing I liked about the older strongman shows is the creativity in the events. Yeah sure some didnt make sense as functional or whatever. But it was really cool watching kaz run uphil with a oak barrel and smash another guy’s barrel off his shoulder. 

52 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I was watching some 2017 strongman last night on youtube. A couple things that i found frustrating were the poor quality of video, and the boring commentary. 

Seemed like i kept hearing "Beuller?.... Beuller?... Beuller?..."

events werent overly exciting either. Everything seemed to have a 1 minute time limit. While i understand the need to make it more of a race for reps to save time, id prefer to see reps till failure from the big guys lifting heavy stuff. Or at least someone actually finish dragging something across the finish line before a clock stops the whole thing.

would be cool to see the crucifix hold come back. And definitely some arm wrestling. And since i only watched about 15 minutes worth out of frustration, i didnt see one of my favorite events, the keg toss. Is the keg toss at least still around?

Yes they still run the Keg Toss.

Totally agree with you about the one minute time limit, I can see why they have it but it's boring if they always use it.

Also love the car battery hold for time in this Kaz video.  Every guy in the world can relate to how hard this is.  The uphill engine block wheelbarrow race looked fun too.

Kaz

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Also love the car battery hold for time in this Kaz video.  Every guy in the world can relate to how hard this is.  The uphill engine block wheelbarrow race looked fun too.

Kaz

Great video and song!!

• Like 1

I was also watching parts of the WSM events posted on Youtube. I noticed Terry Hollands using a regular double overhand grip to clean the 168 kg axle they used in the heats. So apparently it can be done, at least for when the weights are lighter and they do the event for reps. For max weight when they go up to 200-220 kg, then yeah it might be a bit to much for them to clean with an overhand grip.