Brian Shaw half 145lb york blob lift

Paul Savage

2 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

That's the small part of it. But being world strongest man helps the most.

No sir he is training always. There are many people we find around 6'8" but they won't be able to lift the blob let alone the gigablob.

Yep he certed on the #3 long ago and did a #3.5 cert after it along with Rich Williams. rich got it but Brian didn't. Maybe Brian had a very hard #3 or simply Rich was stronger back then. But Brian now is on a whole new level and he weighs much more.

Yeah and my answer above.

Yep

Yeah I agree. The big Russian who has the bench WR 335 KG has a monster grip too. He certed on the #3 but unfortunately that was it. If he did a #3.5 it would have gone down easily too. He sets a #4 with his THUMB and gets it down to less than 1/4". He also got a good air on the axle with 240 KG. Monster!

I agree!

I agree with Bill. It is not because he is famous only. But one of world strongest man.

I once saw Hugo Girard doing farmers walk in Strongman super series. Man he was the ONLY one who made the full walk without dropping the weights. I believe it was in Canada. He also held it at the end when he finished for a while just to show his strength. Others who were there like Mariusz Pudzianowski (one of the best world strongest men), Žydrūnas Savickas, Svend Karlsen, and other notable names. None could do that farmers walk in one go. This means his grip was much much superior to them all. It's a shame Hugo didn't win WSM contest (Due to his bad luck in injuries).

Edit: I remember Jesse Marunde who was a strongman with very very strong grip. He could close a #3 for many reps WIDE and cleaned the blob first time he saw it.

Being 6 foot 8 and 400 pounds my only helps his grip but also be worlds strongest man! He’s got the tools and he’s got the talent! “Apollo Creed”. Haha

On 30/12/2017 at 11:21 AM, Fist of Fury said:

They don't have any pure grip events in strongman anymore. They even use glue when lifting stones. They also use straps even on axle lifts sometimes. It's very anti-grip strength if you ask me.

Depends, worlds strongest man has got away from grip a bit in last few years but still not in a huge way. Ultimate strongman has a lot of grip involved. The UK's strongest man qualifier I'm doing next year has loads of grip involved. The events are 150kg axle clean & press for reps, 370kg 18" axle deadlift for reps, farmers walk 140kg 30m, yoke 360kg 30m, Hercules hold 125kg a hand, sandbag/barrel loading with a 440kg chain drag. The deadlift is with straps but basically huge amount of grip strength involved in everything else. Also think they are doing stone to shoulder without tacky at the Arnold strongman classic this year. Tacky on stones to me is like using an inflatable dartboard, why the heck lift stones if you are going to glue yourself to them?? Hopefully tacky is eventually banned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Savage said:

Depends, worlds strongest man has got away from grip a bit in last few years but still not in a huge way. Ultimate strongman has a lot of grip involved. The UK's strongest man qualifier I'm doing next year has loads of grip involved. The events are 150kg axle clean & press for reps, 370kg 18" axle deadlift for reps, farmers walk 140kg 30m, yoke 360kg 30m, Hercules hold 125kg a hand, sandbag/barrel loading with a 440kg chain drag. The deadlift is with straps but basically huge amount of grip strength involved in everything else. Also think they are doing stone to shoulder without tacky at the Arnold strongman classic this year. Tacky on stones to me is like using an inflatable dartboard, why the heck lift stones if you are going to glue yourself to them?? Hopefully tacky is eventually banned.

I also never understood the use of tacky for stones, straps for dead’s or reverse grip/straps for axles. Defeats the purpose of these implements. I come from the school of if you need straps to lift it then you shouldn’t be lifting it... and if you are reverse gripping and axle to deadlift or clean.... then it’s too heavy! 

On 12/30/2017 at 6:09 AM, Wannagrip said:

This would just be a special challenge and we would and could open it up for all to challenge at Morgan's level.  They used to have  at least one grip event in WSM if I remember correctly. At least back in the day.

They had bending, natural stone lifting, odd objects, and press blocks. Wsm is more crossfit for elephants then what it used to be. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KapMan said:

They had bending, natural stone lifting, odd objects, and press blocks. Wsm is more crossfit for elephants then what it used to be. 

I actually find WSM wicked boring this century. It was so much better in the late 70s to the 90s. Got progressively more boring.

27 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I actually find WSM wicked boring this century. It was so much better in the late 70s to the 90s. Got progressively more boring.

Me too

4 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Yes let's hope it gets banned. It looks really silly. I was watching the finals in Sweden a few months ago and everyone was drenched in tacky, first time I actually watched a Strongman comp in a long while. The Atlas stones should be about brutal grip and arm strength as much as back strength.

Good luck in the qualifier by the way.

4 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I also never understood the use of tacky for stones, straps for dead’s or reverse grip/straps for axles. Defeats the purpose of these implements. I come from the school of if you need straps to lift it then you shouldn’t be lifting it... and if you are reverse gripping and axle to deadlift or clean.... then it’s too heavy! 

That's one thing I do get is using straps on an axle, and actually I don't think I'd even compete if there was an axle deadlift without straps. For regular deadlift I can use hook grip but for axle would mean no choice but to use mixed grip and its really dangerous for bicep tears. Happened on wsm that was on TV tonight actually, one competitor tried to clean the axle up with a mixed grip and torn the bicep off, I've seen it done loads of times.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes let's hope it gets banned. It looks really silly. I was watching the finals in Sweden a few months ago and everyone was drenched in tacky, first time I actually watched a Strongman comp in a long while. The Atlas stones should be about brutal grip and arm strength as much as back strength.

Good luck in the qualifier by the way.

Yeah its really stupid, I never used tacky ever in training and first time I used it in a contest I was just thinking 'this can't be serious' you are literally stuck to thing, just makes no sense, makes it night and day easier.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

That's one thing I do get is using straps on an axle, and actually I don't think I'd even compete if there was an axle deadlift without straps. For regular deadlift I can use hook grip but for axle would mean no choice but to use mixed grip and its really dangerous for bicep tears. Happened on wsm that was on TV tonight actually, one competitor tried to clean the axle up with a mixed grip and torn the bicep off, I've seen it done loads of times.

Why do you get using straps on an axle? The axle is meant for grip displays. Why use an axle then and just use a standard Olympic bar. And why  mix grip an axle for a deadlift or a clean? If one can’t clean an attempt or deadlift an attempt double overhand it shouldn’t be done and takes away the point of an axle. This is just my opinion of course as a grip purist  and others may have different views... but the spirit of an axle is to make it more difficult to lift no? If straps or mixed grip needs to be used on an axle then they are trying to lift to much for the implement. You have some very impressive videos by the way!

Edited by Guest

Because Eddie wouldn't have been able to do this without a mixed grip.  And no way they are changing the rules if it means lighter weights by 50kg.  Heavier weights mean more fans, which means more $$$$

Eddie Hall WR 216kg Continental Press

They would lose more casual fans than they would gain grip purists to the sport.  All about dem Euros and Benjamins.  The axle press has always been about getting it overhead any way you can.

I do agree that straps on an axle deadlift are stupid.  I think that's why they've gone more to oly bar and Rogue Elephant bar deadlifts.  They still allow straps, but I think they realized that straps on an axle was just a dumb concept and defeated the purpose.

As for tacky, I agree it's dumb.  However, again, I don't see them changing the rules if it is going to cause significantly lighter stones to be used.  Follow the money and what your average youtube fan wants to see: the heaviest s#!+ possible lifted.

I, for one, miss the days of the tire throw, bar bend, girl lift, and refrigerator race.  I'll always remember Wilhelm, Young, and Patera battling it out in 77.  Mostly Patera's hair.  Haha.  I think that's also the one Franco Columbu ruined his knee in the fridge race.  Was never the same.

Yes, I'm old.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Because Eddie wouldn't have been able to do this without a mixed grip.  And no way they are changing the rules if it means lighter weights by 50kg.  Heavier weights mean more fans, which means more $$$$

Eddie Hall WR 216kg Continental Press

They would lose more casual fans than they would gain grip purists to the sport.  All about dem Euros and Benjamins.  The axle press has always been about getting it overhead any way you can.

I do agree that straps on an axle deadlift are stupid.  I think that's why they've gone more to oly bar and Rogue Elephant bar deadlifts.  They still allow straps, but I think they realized that straps on an axle was just a dumb concept and defeated the purpose.

As for tacky, I agree it's dumb.  However, again, I don't see them changing the rules if it is going to cause significantly lighter stones to be used.  Follow the money and what your average youtube fan wants to see: the heaviest s#!+ possible lifted.

I, for one, miss the days of the tire throw, bar bend, girl lift, and refrigerator race.  I'll always remember Wilhelm, Young, and Patera battling it out in 77.  Mostly Patera's hair.  Haha.  I think that's also the one Franco Columbu ruined his knee in the fridge race.  Was never the same.

Yes, I'm old.

I think those years we’re the only years the sport was even half way interesting. I loved it back then... now... I watch a few minutes and change the channel!

11 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Why do you get using straps on an axle? The axle is meant for grip displays. Why use an axle then and just use a standard Olympic bar. And why  mix grip an axle for a deadlift or a clean? If one can’t clean an attempt or deadlift an attempt double overhand it shouldn’t be done and takes away the point of an axle. This is just my opinion of course as a grip purist  and others may have different views... but the spirit of an axle is to make it more difficult to lift no? If straps or mixed grip needs to be used on an axle then they are trying to lift to much for the implement. You have some very impressive videos by the way!

Thanks dude

Of course it would be better for me if they didn't allow mixed cleans and I agree in that they shouldn't personally for that reason plus that it's a huge injury risk. The problem however is also that strongman is all about any way to lift something so I guess that's the way of thinking.

For deadlifts the axle is good because generally it's used for higher up deadlifts for height which gives the shorter athletes a chance to make up some points and also even for the taller athletes it's still a safer exercise than off the floor. With a normal bar at the weights that are used the bar would bend a lot so the pull really ends up started a lot higher and changes the event. Now with an axle 18" for me is 3-4" below the knee and with no give to the axle that's a very tough pull, typical bar it would be a lot easier. Of course you can get the same thing from a stiff squat bar but the axle/tyre setup is more impressive visually.

On 1/1/2018 at 12:44 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

Actually straps for a normal bar deadlifts is fine in my book. Because deads aren't generally a grip thing but a back thing. Yes you can use a mixed grip but there is a high risk of biceps injury. All other mentioned I agree.

And seeing Eddie Hall lift that 207 axle. Wow. The press was out of this world!!!

1 hour ago, Alawadhi said:

Actually straps for a normal bar deadlifts is fine in my book. Because deads aren't generally a grip thing but a back thing. Yes you can use a mixed grip but there is a high risk of biceps injury. All other mentioned I agree.

And seeing Eddie Hall lift that 207 axle. Wow. The press was out of this world!!!

I see it if you can’t grip it then you can’t lift it. 

18 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I see it if you can’t grip it then you can’t lift it. 

That's why the barbell was invented, a tool to increase the ability to lift large loads. It's pretty hard to lift a 500lb rock, but a 500lb deadlift isn't crazy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

That's why the barbell was invented, a tool to increase the ability to lift large loads. It's pretty hard to lift a 500lb rock, but a 500lb deadlift isn't crazy.

Like I said.... if you can’t grip it.... then you can’t lift it. With your hands that is. Straps should not be used!

Edited by Guest

Our legs and back are many times stronger than our hands and wrists. No reason to impose a limiting factor on tests of strength. Grip is important, but... call me crazy... it's not always the most important.

• Like 1

Straps are just another tool to use in training. A very good tool. You need to separate training and competition. Two different things.

I agree that straps should not be used in competition. The only place I see it can be used in my opinion is in equipped PL comps.

I think that comps should be as natural as possible. Simply because I think it looks more impressive that way. To me equipped PL looks more like a joke sometimes. I'm not saying a lift can't be impressive but I think it just looks sketchy. 

As far as Strongman goes I think it's should be a RAW contest. It makes no sense to have a competition where athletes lift "real life" objects and does old school lifting and then allow equipment like, suits, glue and straps.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

Our legs and back are many times stronger than our hands and wrists. No reason to impose a limiting factor on tests of strength. Grip is important, but... call me crazy... it's not always the most important.

To me it is.... everyone’s opinion differs.... no better or no worse. Straps are just as bad as wearing bench suits or the like. If you can’t lift it pure then you can’t lift it in a real world situation.... you can’t say hold on I gotta suit up and grab my straps. That’s just how I look at it and always have looked a it. I appreciate your view though. Thanks for your input!

Edited by Guest

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

To me it is.... everyone’s opinion differs.... no better or no worse. 

6 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Straps are just another tool to use in training. A very good tool. You need to separate training and competition. Two different things.

I agree that straps should not be used in competition. The only place I see it can be used in my opinion is in equipped PL comps.

I think that comps should be as natural as possible. Simply because I think it looks more impressive that way. To me equipped PL looks more like a joke sometimes. I'm not saying a lift can't be impressive but I think it just looks sketchy. 

As far as Strongman goes I think it's should be a RAW contest. It makes no sense to have a competition where athletes lift "real life" objects and does old school lifting and then allow equipment like, suits, glue and straps.

Amen brother! 100% truth!

45 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Since im not a powerlifter, i can say that i agree with a lot of the purist views on barbell lifts. not at all to offend, or to be offended by real powerlifters using gear.. just my own preference. 

I would assume that if i were to take aim at the big 3 lifts and the weights became heavier, that could possibly change. But hey, to each his own.

more on atlas stones and purism.. id like to point out that an atlas stone lift is not a purist stone lift anyways. Because atlas atones are molded. Not found on a mountain side. So tacky takes nothing from a slick man made atlas stone lift imo.

however, if natural, jagged, rough stones from out in nature were to be lifted in contest, i would see no need for tacky. And tacky would also insult the "pure" aspect of lifting a natural stone. Does that make sense.. i hope i dont come off as contradicting. While i do enjoy seeing a big unequipped lift on a man made barbell, i do not have the same standard for a man made, slick, no knurling (like a barbell), perfectly round stone.

I don’t know brother. I see no point in trying to lift anything you can’t lift without using your own power. No straps, no suits no tacky or any other gadget. It’s just not right to me and does not impress me. Lift what you can with your body and that’s it. I’d rather see a 700 deadlift using only your grip than 1000 with straps. It’s all you with no room for criticism.... pure strength. Does that make sense? That includes the smooth stones. Or anything else. But I can see where you’re coming from with the smooth stones in a way!

Do you use chalk @Fist of Fury or @Joseph Sullivan?

Chalk removes the natural oil and moisture from your hand. To argue it's not a performance enhancing substance is silly. Just like tacky, squat suit, or anything else: ask them to repeat the feat without it, and you'll see they can't. So then where do you draw the line?

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

More on atlas stones and purism.. id like to point out that an atlas stone lift is not a purist stone lift anyways. Because atlas atones are molded. Not found on a mountain side. So tacky takes nothing from a slick man made atlas stone lift imo.

Pretty much this. Atlas stones are not natural in the first place. Real stones have flat edges where you can get a grip and tacky is not necessary. Atlas stones allow you control the variance found across stones and make the feat similar for someone living  in Nebraska or Germany or Botswana.

6 hours ago, DAVE101 said:

Chalk removes the natural oil and moisture from your hand. To argue it's not a performance enhancing substance is silly. Just like tacky, squat suit, or anything else: ask them to repeat the feat without it, and you'll see they can't. So then where do you draw the line?

Pretty much this. Atlas stones are not natural in the first place. Real stones have flat edges where you can get a grip and tacky is not necessary. Atlas stones allow you control the variance found across stones and make the feat similar for someone living  in Nebraska or Germany or Botswana.

I said as natural as possible I have nothing against chalk because it's not a huge factor in most cases. It depends a lot on the implement as well, it can actually have a negative effect in some cases.

And if chalk was ever banned I would be the first one to stand in line for competition because my hands are naturally very dry.

I hope they would switch to real/natural stones in Strongman actually. That would be way cooler. I've seen some comps using them. It was way more interesting to watch.

By using glue on stones you might be able to compare your stats to people competing today but you will not be able to do so with competitiors from the past who didn't have glue, which is a shame.

8 hours ago, DAVE101 said: