Brian Shaw half 145lb york blob lift

Paul Savage

If you can pull a 700 lb deadlift without straps you have the hand strength to close a 3.5 MMS.  They may not be able to close a #2 because they lack the setting technique, but the hand strength is there.  Most of the top strongmen out there could dominate grip if they trained the specific events.  They have all the tools (hand size, strength, pharmaceutical enhancement).  I call it the Bergmann effect.  Once upon a time, there were a bunch of guys that thought we were really good at bending horseshoes.  We were bending shoes that only a handful of people had ever bent.  We had spent years getting good at it.  Jason Bergmann (two time WSM finalist) buys Jedd's and my Hammering Horseshoes DVD.  In two months, with just a little coaching from me, he was bending shoes nobody ever thought possible.  And while he's an incredibly strong guy, there are other guys out there that are on another level from him.   The horsepower of the great strength athletes out there is almost unbelievable.  Couple that with the fact that most of them have hands the size of baseball mitts and i think you would be shocked how fast one of them could come in and dominate on almost any lift they decided to train on for a few months.  This goes for big deadlifters too.  If you can pull 700 - 1015 pounds without straps, you have all the hand strength needed to close huge grippers and lift heavy implements.  There's a video on the youtubes of KK, Malanichev, and Koklyaev messing around with 200KG on an Iron Mind Axle.  Those guys don't train for this stuff and they all at least got good air and one even locked it out.  Just because they don't train for it, doesn't mean that with just a very small amount of technique training they couldn't do some pretty amazing things in the grip world. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

If you can pull a 700 lb deadlift without straps you have the hand strength to close a 3.5 MMS.  They may not be able to close a #2 because they lack the setting technique, but the hand strength is there.  Most of the top strongmen out there could dominate grip if they trained the specific events.  They have all the tools (hand size, strength, pharmaceutical enhancement).  I call it the Bergmann effect.  Once upon a time, there were a bunch of guys that thought we were really good at bending horseshoes.  We were bending shoes that only a handful of people had ever bent.  We had spent years getting good at it.  Jason Bergmann (two time WSM finalist) buys Jedd's and my Hammering Horseshoes DVD.  In two months, with just a little coaching from me, he was bending shoes nobody ever thought possible.  And while he's an incredibly strong guy, there are other guys out there that are on another level from him.   The horsepower of the great strength athletes out there is almost unbelievable.  Couple that with the fact that most of them have hands the size of baseball mitts and i think you would be shocked how fast one of them could come in and dominate on almost any lift they decided to train on for a few months.  This goes for big deadlifters too.  If you can pull 700 - 1015 pounds without straps, you have all the hand strength needed to close huge grippers and lift heavy implements.  There's a video on the youtubes of KK, Malanichev, and Koklyaev messing around with 200KG on an Iron Mind Axle.  Those guys don't train for this stuff and they all at least got good air and one even locked it out.  Just because they don't train for it, doesn't mean that with just a very small amount of technique training they couldn't do some pretty amazing things in the grip world. 

The difference is with a conventional bar is that you are not in an open hand position. Your fingers are curled under meaning your grip isn’t really “tested” to its max. I am a former 700ish deadlifter myself and I know I could not have mm a 3.5 back then... although I didn’t know these things existed then. Fast forward 10 years after not doing 700 pound deadlifts after back and neck surgery put the kabache on that  I closed a COC # 2 5x first try no set and almost closed a 3 on my first try mm set so maybe you’re right mike.  I just know from first hand experience brining a number 1 to guys in the gym who are all over 200 and they can’t close it. Everyone’s different I suppose. My brother also did the same thing on his construction site and no one can close the number one there either and these guys work with their hands all day. He also tried to have them sledge hammer lever  a 10 pounder and not one of them came close. These were brick layers to boot These conversations are fun to have. I love to see everyone’s thoughts and experiences. And when I say close a number one I mean no off hand pre close.

Teach them how to do a good mm set.  The inability to set is the issue.  The lifting of a 27mm-30mm bar is essentially training the final portion of a gripper close.  I hadn't touched a gripper for 2 years or trained any grip, but closed a 170lb gripper with a block set at a contest when I was pulling 600.  Don't confuse not having the technique down with not having the strength.  Give anyone that can deadlift 700 or more a 3.5 choked to parallel and I bet you $500 bucks they click the handles.  It's technique and not being familiar with the feat holding them back, not strength.

3 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

It would be cool to have him get on the MM ladder.  Heck, given his stature in the world we should open it up for him to challenge for the top spot that Morgan occupies. :) 

I don't like this idea, you shouldn't have privileges just because you're famous. If this happen it should be open for all.

I have a better idea: Work to get grip sport into WSM as an event. A grip medley would be the best way to do it I think.

13 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Teach them how to do a good mm set.  The inability to set is the issue.  The lifting of a 27mm-30mm bar is essentially training the final portion of a gripper close.  I hadn't touched a gripper for 2 years or trained any grip, but closed a 170lb gripper with a block set at a contest when I was pulling 600.  Don't confuse not having the technique down with not having the strength.  Give anyone that can deadlift 700 or more a 3.5 choked to parallel and I bet you $500 bucks they click the handles.  It's technique and not being familiar with the feat holding them back, not strength.

Touché Miguel.... Touché!

6 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I don't like this idea, you shouldn't have privileges just because you're famous. If this happen it should be open for all.

I have a better idea: Work to get grip sport into WSM as an event. A grip medley would be the best way to do it I think.

I agree with you fist of fury! Grip events at WSM.... max gripper TNS close , appolons axle and Saxon bar deadlift would cover all aspects. 

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I'm not so sure about this. I know of insane powerlifters that are not so good with thicker bars or grippers. I get what you're saying about the technique but I do think there's a little more than just technique involved. Hand size is a factor, not all strong people have big hands. Then grippers is a lot about the CNS and also a lot about muscle memory. You can do holds with lighter grippers and make gains purely with this, it's not technique, nor is it so much about strength.

2 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Wsm has had axle deadlift many times, I believe they last did it in 2016

ya, but they use straps for deadlifts in strongman so it takes the grip aspect out.  

WSM should have a grip medley in my opinion with many different implements (that we use in grip sport). Should be the same thing as a grip medley in grip contests. This will suit the WSM concept very good, it will be entertaining to watch, sort of like the atlas stones but with grip implements. Grippers should definitely not be in there because that is very boring to watch.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure about this. I know of insane powerlifters that are not so good with thicker bars or grippers. I get what you're saying about the technique but I do think there's a little more than just technique involved. Hand size is a factor, not all strong people have big hands. Then grippers is a lot about the CNS and also a lot about muscle memory. You can do holds with lighter grippers and make gains purely with this, it's not technique, nor is it so much about strength.

That’s what I was thinking too. Having a great grip on a standard bar does not translate to an axle or a pinch device. Totally different animal.

30 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Hey Mike... my avatar looks like your old one! Ha!

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  The 700 lb deadlift only applied to mms grippers.  Powerlifters as a whole don't get a ton of thumb work.  However, this video shows the top guys are still pretty good on an axle with no training due to overall grip strength:  440 lbs axle

The top strongman are a different story.  Most are huge men with very large, very strong hands from all the different implements they lift.  They would do very well in grip with just some technique training.  

I wasn't super clear on separating the two.  Sorry.  Happy New Year everyone!

I've seen surprisingly low dynamo-numbers from world class strength athletes. Not going to mention names. I just think that grip strength is very, very specific and there's many factors that plays a role for the end result.

21 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  The 700 lb deadlift only applied to mms grippers.  Powerlifters as a whole don't get a ton of thumb work.  However, this video shows the top guys are still pretty good on an axle with no training due to overall grip strength:  440 lbs axle

The top strongman are a different story.  Most are huge men with very large, very strong hands from all the different implements they lift.  They would do very well in grip with just some technique training.  

I wasn't super clear on separating the two.  Sorry.  Happy New Year everyone!

Thanks Mike! You too brother.

6 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

The difference is with a conventional bar is that you are not in an open hand position. Your fingers are curled under meaning your grip isn’t really “tested” to its max. I am a former 700ish deadlifter myself and I know I could not have mm a 3.5 back then... although I didn’t know these things existed then. Fast forward 10 years after not doing 700 pound deadlifts after back and neck surgery put the kabache on that  I closed a COC # 2 5x first try no set and almost closed a 3 on my first try mm set so maybe you’re right mike.  I just know from first hand experience brining a number 1 to guys in the gym who are all over 200 and they can’t close it. Everyone’s different I suppose. My brother also did the same thing on his construction site and no one can close the number one there either and these guys work with their hands all day. He also tried to have them sledge hammer lever  a 10 pounder and not one of them came close. These were brick layers to boot These conversations are fun to have. I love to see everyone’s thoughts and experiences. And when I say close a number one I mean no off hand pre close.

For what it’s worth...I gave my brother, who is skinny and has no lifting background or experience with grippers, a #1 and he closed it rather easily. He’s a mailman :laugh

23 minutes ago, Booze said:

For what it’s worth...I gave my brother, who is skinny and has no lifting background or experience with grippers, a #1 and he closed it rather easily. He’s a mailman :laugh

My brother did to... and he weighs 150. Grip doesn’t have much to do with weight with grippers until you get to the bigger ones it seems 

20 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I agree with you fist of fury! Grip events at WSM.... max gripper TNS close , appolons axle and Saxon bar deadlift would cover all aspects. 

20 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

This would just be a special challenge and we would and could open it up for all to challenge at Morgan's level.  They used to have  at least one grip event in WSM if I remember correctly. At least back in the day.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

This would just be a special challenge and we would and could open it up for all to challenge at Morgan's level.  They used to have  at least one grip event in WSM if I remember correctly. At least back in the day.

They don't have any pure grip events in strongman anymore. They even use glue when lifting stones. They also use straps even on axle lifts sometimes. It's very anti-grip strength if you ask me.

They don't have any pure grip events in strongman anymore. They even use glue when lifting stones. They also use straps even on axle lifts sometimes. It's very anti-grip strength if you ask me.

That is unfortunate. I remember a Hercules Hold even for time (I think it was called that).  

Just now, Wannagrip said:

That is unfortunate. I remember a Hercules Hold even for time (I think it was called that).  

Yes and farmers walk, they might still have both of those. They are not really a pure grip tester though. More about strength and endurance in the whole body.

I'd love to see a pure grip medley. If someone is afraid the audience would not understand it, there's easy ways around this. Just attach the grip implement to objects that the audience can relate to.

People in PL, Strongman, Olympic weightlifters etc are never going to give up their sport to start with grip sport anyway, so it's better to get grip into Strongman in my opinion, because that is actually very much possible to do.

Furthermore, I think it would actually be good for the athletes in WSM as well. There's a lot of injuries in that sport. Giving them another event that doesn't stress their whole body as much will give them a bit more time to rest for a harder event, they don't need to worry about getting injured or something like that when doing the grip event.

With people like Brian Shaw and Eddie Hall in the game I think it's possible because they have already shown interest in grip feats and grip sport.

On 12/28/2017 at 9:00 PM, Wannagrip said:

Being 6'8" probably helps too with hand size. LOL

That's the small part of it. But being world strongest man helps the most.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:11 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

That’s 3/4 of the battle right there! 

No sir he is training always. There are many people we find around 6'8" but they won't be able to lift the blob let alone the gigablob.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:13 PM, Anton.Torrella said:

Really cool - and he named it gigantor - anyone ever see shaw close grippers?

Yep he certed on the #3 long ago and did a #3.5 cert after it along with Rich Williams. rich got it but Brian didn't. Maybe Brian had a very hard #3 or simply Rich was stronger back then. But Brian now is on a whole new level and he weighs much more.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:27 PM, Climber028 said:

He closed a 3 easily and had a very close failure of a 3.5. I suspect that comes down to technique.

Yeah and my answer above.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:35 PM, Chez said:

Gotcha so it was a ccs cert attempt 

Yep

On 12/29/2017 at 7:24 AM, Tommy J. said:

I knew he was on there somewhere. I remember seeing his name a few years back as i scanned through the list. Just couldnt remember the year so i didnt say above. 

Im betting that at the time of his #3 cert that he didnt even train grippers. If he did, i would assume he'd be a monster at them. I would think MMS #4 closes would happen for him inside of a few months tops if he cared to try.

edit: thanks for the link homie

Yeah I agree. The big Russian who has the bench WR 335 KG has a monster grip too. He certed on the #3 but unfortunately that was it. If he did a #3.5 it would have gone down easily too. He sets a #4 with his THUMB and gets it down to less than 1/4". He also got a good air on the axle with 240 KG. Monster!

On 12/29/2017 at 3:06 PM, Wannagrip said:

It would be cool to have him get on the MM ladder.  Heck, given his stature in the world we should open it up for him to challenge for the top spot that Morgan occupies. :) 

I agree!

On 12/29/2017 at 6:32 PM, Fist of Fury said:

I agree with Bill. It is not because he is famous only. But one of world strongest man.

On 12/30/2017 at 3:35 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Yes and farmers walk, they might still have both of those. They are not really a pure grip tester though. More about strength and endurance in the whole body.

I'd love to see a pure grip medley. If someone is afraid the audience would not understand it, there's easy ways around this. Just attach the grip implement to objects that the audience can relate to.

People in PL, Strongman, Olympic weightlifters etc are never going to give up their sport to start with grip sport anyway, so it's better to get grip into Strongman in my opinion, because that is actually very much possible to do.

I once saw Hugo Girard doing farmers walk in Strongman super series. Man he was the ONLY one who made the full walk without dropping the weights. I believe it was in Canada. He also held it at the end when he finished for a while just to show his strength. Others who were there like Mariusz Pudzianowski (one of the best world strongest men), Žydrūnas Savickas, Svend Karlsen, and other notable names. None could do that farmers walk in one go. This means his grip was much much superior to them all. It's a shame Hugo didn't win WSM contest (Due to his bad luck in injuries).

Edit: I remember Jesse Marunde who was a strongman with very very strong grip. He could close a #3 for many reps WIDE and cleaned the blob first time he saw it.

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 1