Brian Shaw half 145lb york blob lift

Paul Savage

7 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Ridiculous, and made it look so easy

Yep. My 30kg blob (basically the original blobzilla along with its long lost brother) weighs 30.1kg / 66.35lb, so almost 6lb lighter, plus of course smaller in size, and I've still never had it a mm off the ground. Looks like he could rep it too haha thumbs of steel.

Awww, Brian thinks that he is a human being.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

He did that way too easy. I think they only go to 150 and that would still be easy for him. He needs them to make custom ones for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Guy is an ox.

Does anyone know if Brian has attempted the Henry Bell? If there is anyone close to possibly lifting it, i would bet on him being the candidate.

I’m really interested in this as well. I can lift the 200lbs replica, and that feels soooo hard. It’s unfathomable that I could lift a dumbbell a full 100lbs heavier.....if any can do it, it’s Brian 

10 hours ago, Chez said:

He did that way too easy. I think they only go to 150 and that would still be easy for him. He needs them to make custom ones for him. 

People might think it's a joke but it isn't. The 150 would go also. He is ridiculously strong. World strongest man doing world strongest wide pinch. I can only think of Laine doing like him (word of mouth he cleaned the blobzilla ten years ago, using a thumb and two fingers from the rounded side; leaving word of mouth aside, he easily cleaned it ten years ago when no one dreamt of lifting it.) and maybe Burke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

People might think it's a joke but it isn't. The 150 would go also. He is ridiculously strong. World strongest man doing world strongest wide pinch. I can only think of Laine doing like him (word of mouth he cleaned the blobzilla ten years ago, using a thumb and two fingers from the rounded side; leaving word of mouth aside, he easily cleaned it ten years ago when no one dreamt of lifting it.) and maybe Burke.

He cleaned my easier 30kg (29.5kg) but not with two fingers, and cleaned my 25kg with thumb on rounded side plus lifted both the 30kg's easily in a double lift. If i remember right he tried the harder 30kg (30.1kg) with thumb on the rounded side but couldn't lift it like that. Doubt he would have done anything else with them as don't think he had any himself. 

50 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Being 6'8" probably helps too with hand size. LOL

I was thinking the allometric score of this lift is probably horrible :laugh

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Really cool - and he named it gigantor - anyone ever see shaw close grippers?

12 minutes ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Really cool - and he named it gigantor - anyone ever see shaw close grippers?

He closed a 3 easily and had a very close failure of a 3.5. I suspect that comes down to technique.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

He closed a 3 easily and had a very close failure of a 3.5. I suspect that comes down to technique.

Is there a video of that?

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Is there a video of that?

No idea, I read the description of it from Wade who was the judge at the time

• Like 2

Just now, Climber028 said:

Gotcha so it was a ccs cert attempt 

2 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Very cool - yea I hope in 2018 shaw starts making gripper challenges and he certs a bunch

Edited by Anton.Torrella

5 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Heard this somewhere as well.

he is on the #3 list. I would suspect that if he focused on grippers he would be killer on those as well. Speculation aside, I dig that he trains and is serious about grip. Shows how dedicated of a strongman he is to cover, and be "in the know" of even the smallest details in regards to being a/the professional strongman.

seems like a lot of top strength athletes dont take grip training serious. Or if they do they dont stress to others, or demonstrate grip strength like Brian does. Maybe thats one of the factors that give him an edge over his competition?.. 

either way, Kudos to Brian for reppin grip strength.

Grip in my eyes is THE MOST important thing when it comes to being truly strong. There are many strong bodies with weak grips but not to many strong grips with weak bodies. It’s the one link that separates the alpha from the beta. Just my opinion. It amazes me how many “strong” guys can’t do the most basic grip feats.

16 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Heard this somewhere as well.

he is on the #3 list. I would suspect that if he focused on grippers he would be killer on those as well. Speculation aside, I dig that he trains and is serious about grip. Shows how dedicated of a strongman he is to cover, and be "in the know" of even the smallest details in regards to being a/the professional strongman.

seems like a lot of top strength athletes dont take grip training serious. Or if they do they dont stress to others, or demonstrate grip strength like Brian does. Maybe thats one of the factors that give him an edge over his competition?.. 

either way, Kudos to Brian for reppin grip strength.

Yep, did the number 3 back in 2008

http://www.ironmind.com/news/Brian-Shaw-Certifies-on-the-No.-3-Captains-of-Crush-Gripper/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Dang man you lifted a 200lb one too?

holy crap

Yeah it’s made by the same metal shop and has all the same specs (2.5in handle). My buddy Mike had it made awhile back when he was trying to lift the original Mark Henry bell. Mike sold me the replica a few months back. I’m still the only one who has lifted it. I’m itching to have someone else come over and try it 

• Like 1

Big Boys Need big Blobs!

I wonder what Wade Gillingham can lift with the legacy blobs. He has the highest number with york50 + added weight I think.

It would be cool to have him get on the MM ladder.  Heck, given his stature in the world we should open it up for him to challenge for the top spot that Morgan occupies. :) 

25 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

It would be cool to have him get on the MM ladder.  Heck, given his stature in the world we should open it up for him to challenge for the top spot that Morgan occupies. :) 

Someone should reach out to him, if anything that'll make gripsport go "boom!"

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I agree to an extent. Meaning, I dont allow them to be referred to as strong if they cant do some basic grip feats. Lol

edit: so in my eyes, there are no strong guys with weak grips. 😆

🙅🏼‍♂️ Hug life.

Yes that’s exactly what I said. There are a lot of strong bodies out there with squats bench and deadlift on a standard diameter bar...... but when it comes to grip they fail. You can have a 700 pound deadlifter not be able to do the most basic of grip feats.  You could walk it to any gym around the country and see all these big juiced up monsters and approach them and ask them to pinch 2 25  pound plates together and most of them cannot do it Or to even close a number one captains of crush. Grip is no joke as we all know.