Hand size limitations?

ChimpGrip

12 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Chad Kovach hands were 7" and Aaron Corcorrans hands are 8" but He says of his hand thickness that his hand gap is one inch on the Inch and Ben Edwards are 8". 

Thank goodness for the disclaimer haha!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Climber028 said:

So crazy, I can't lift a blob but I have no problems grabbing it with 7.7" hands. Thumb length maybe? Just goes to show the minor variables in hands can play a big role.

Well strength is a factor too.  Or maybe I missed your point.  I too can get my hand on a blob just fine....I just can't lift it.  :pinch 

• Like 1

Yeah, there is a guy early on the MM ladder who had smallish hands and was missing part of his index on top of that.  Shawn Littleton maybe?  I'm doing some searching to try and validate that.

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Well strength is a factor too.  Or maybe I missed your point.  I too can get my hand on a blob just fine....I just can't lift it.  :pinch 

He was referring to the fact how I can lift the blob without being able to wrap my index finger around it. I only use my thumb and middle/ring fingers. My hands are 8 inches at the middle finger but my index is a lot shorter! Ha!

1 hour ago, David_wigren said:

Hmm, my index is almost a full inch shorter than my long finger but I can grip a 50 lbs blob just fine. I’m thinking it’s maybe more due to the angle of the thumb joint? Like depening on how you thumb faces your fingers you have to hold the blob on an angle where the index finger just wont reach the other side of the blob whilst maintaining a good grip.

I don’t know man. The index finger can just hook on but not enough to be used.

Thumb angle is definitely part of it, you can get closer to narrow pinch angle with the index off, and there is carry over from narrow pinch (flask) to blobs.

With index on, your thumb is at more of a hubbing angle, but much different hand position so I don't think hub carries over much to blobs.

A lot of it is how far "back" your thumb goes in opposition to your fingers.  Mine for example only goes about 90 degrees to my fingers so I can't go "across" wider things.

4 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Thumb angle is definitely part of it, you can get closer to narrow pinch angle with the index off, and there is carry over from narrow pinch (flask) to blobs.

With index on, your thumb is at more of a hubbing angle, but much different hand position so I don't think hub carries over much to blobs.

It doesn’t.... I can lift blob 50 but can barely hub 45 pounds... but I don’t practice hub much at all

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Shoggoth said:

Thank goodness for the disclaimer haha!

Glad to help

See if you don't use your index (I too my index is like half an inch shorter or more than my middle) your palm will dig in more thus giving you more leverage. But using all fingers you can apply more power if used correctly. I can not lift the blob without my index but can easily clean and jerk it with all my fingers. Maybe it's how I trained it, or it's the mind, or thats how my hands are built.

@ChimpGrip Our hands are of similar size. It can be discouraging if you let it get to you but I like to develop strength and ability despite my smallish hands. Also, some smaller handed individuals in my understanding have good success with certain pinch-style lifts (including stub, halfpenny, hubs) so maybe see how you do on those. Good luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29.12.2017 at 12:40 AM, terminal said:

@ChimpGrip Our hands are of similar size. It can be discouraging if you let it get to you but I like to develop strength and ability despite my smallish hands. Also, some smaller handed individuals in my understanding have good success with certain pinch-style lifts (including stub, halfpenny, hubs) so maybe see how you do on those. Good luck.

It just feels like it's a disability in the grip world. It makes my blood boil thinking about it

On 27.12.2017 at 10:58 AM, wobbler said:

7 5/8" hands, I have to lose the index finger on my 45lb fatman to lift it. I can get it on there but just makes things worse. Fine with all fingers on 40lb usa blob.

I can facelift the 40 but the tip of my index finger doesn't make it to the edge, I thought that would be impossible but apparently not.

Whatever you want to do, somebody has probably done it with the same or smaller hands. If not, maybe you'll be the first. Don't get hung up on it.

I just want to close the extreme grippers, like CoC4 and beyond. It's just that the difficulty with the even the #3 is extremely hand because of my god damn hands.

So choke it to parallel with a hose clamp and see what you can do. Spoiler alert, it's' probably still going to be extremely hard. I'm good for about 20lb rgc more in a choker vs a deep set. Pretty bad at wider sets, they aggravate my knuckles so I don't work on them.

If you are talking about MMS, then your hand size shouldn't matter that much. You just need to build up your upper body strength in order to set the gripper to parallel. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

The biggest limitations will be the ones you set on yourself.

Hand size really doesn't matter all that much as long as it's not about pinching really wide or very fat bars. Big hands will give you a slight advantage in some events but it can also be a disadvantage in some events.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

The biggest limitations will be the ones you set on yourself.

Hand size really doesn't matter all that much as long as it's not about pinching really wide or very fat bars. Big hands will give you a slight advantage in some events but it can also be a disadvantage in some events.

This is very true. If your hands are strong you will do well 

Big or little - they are the only hands you have and nothing is going to change that.  Train hard and do the best you can.  That's all anyone can do. 

• Like 8

On 07/01/2018 at 11:46 PM, ChimpGrip said:

I just want to close the extreme grippers, like CoC4 and beyond. It's just that the difficulty with the even the #3 is extremely hand because of my god damn hands.

It actually helps to have smaller hands on deep set grippers as you don't have to close the hand as tight and the guys with monster mitts spread all the way up the gripper so they have a lot less leverage and it requires a lot more force and pinky/ring strength to get the close (try moving just 1/4" up your max gripper and you will get what I mean).

There's also a bunch of other grip events where it's better or a none factor. It's not all bad dude!

• Like 3

On 10.1.2018 at 11:13 PM, Paul Savage said:

It actually helps to have smaller hands on deep set grippers as you don't have to close the hand as tight and the guys with monster mitts spread all the way up the gripper so they have a lot less leverage and it requires a lot more force and pinky/ring strength to get the close (try moving just 1/4" up your max gripper and you will get what I mean).

There's also a bunch of other grip events where it's better or a none factor. It's not all bad dude!

I have straightened and cleaned up my negative attitude about it. When the important people (the experts and grip monsters on here) tell me it's ok, that's when I know it'll be fine moving forward. 

I do have a question about lifting chalk- I know that it helps dry your hands and improve your grip, and it makes it easier to close grippers (as it doesn't move around in my hand). 

When using chalk, does it make the close "equipped" or is it still just as good as a close without chalk? 

On 27.12.2017 at 1:10 PM, Cannon said:

Yeah, there is a guy early on the MM ladder who had smallish hands and was missing part of his index on top of that.  Shawn Littleton maybe?  I'm doing some searching to try and validate that.

Can you guys make a custom all black GHP 10 gripper?

30 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

I have straightened and cleaned up my negative attitude about it. When the important people (the experts and grip monsters on here) tell me it's ok, that's when I know it'll be fine moving forward. 

I do have a question about lifting chalk- I know that it helps dry your hands and improve your grip, and it makes it easier to close grippers (as it doesn't move around in my hand). 

When using chalk, does it make the close "equipped" or is it still just as good as a close without chalk? 

Nobody formally distinguishes between lifts, closes, etc with chalk and without. Given the right environmental conditions, chalk doesn't make all that much difference. It is mainly a friction normalizer.

29 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Can you guys make a custom all black GHP 10 gripper?

I doubt Cannon will do that, but you might find someone on the board or local to you that could anodize one for you.

46 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

I can close grippers just as easily Chalked or unchalked. It’s alot more comfortable with chalk. It’s not equipped though.... the chalk isn’t doing the closing.... it’s all you....it’s just making the surface a little more consistent to prevent slippage.... especially while doing more repetitions. It may be different for some.... everyone has a different opinion. 

For me chalk only helps with grippers when doing reps and holds, not single max closes. As long as the hand is dry and the handles are clean and have good knurling.

1 hour ago, ChimpGrip said:

Chalk does not make it "equipped".  Perfectly fine within all the rules.