The Inch Project

climber511

The Inch Project

·       I started Grip Sport in 2003.  Since then I have managed to achieve all of my goals except the Inch Dumbbell – a dumbbell used by an old time strongman in England.  Not that there aren’t harder and greater feats of Grip strength out there but I managed the one’s I set my mind to.

·       Starting December 16 2017 (a week after Gripmas) I came up with a very loose and subject to change at any time plan for lifting the Inch Dumbbell.  Seemingly the biggest issue I face is that my wrist isn’t strong enough to keep my fingers “under” the handle.  Of course my thumb is too weak to help much so that is going to have to be addressed as well but I want to start with the wrist.  Long ago I used a program called Synergy or Power Forearms – It’s a HIT based program that worked well for me in the past.  My hope is to work up until I stall on the recommended reps for the program – then add some triples and then singles and hope to go over 200# on things – hopefully for a few reps.  Next will be some standing 2 3/8” bar wrist curls to duplicate the standing position and specific hand positioning better.

·       At that time I want to start on repetition Gracie lifts (my 146# Inch Replica).  My hope is to work up to 10 straight reps with each hand (20 back and forth) or maybe better.

·       At this point I will reevaluate things and add what seems needed.  I want better endurance to handle a higher volume of work when I get to the Inch itself.

·       Then I will start on Bob Sundin’s program of counter weighting the actual Inch by adding weight to the thumb side with magnets and/or duct tape as needed.

·       All these lifts will be done from boxes to save my back – it’s strong enough to lift the Inch but many sessions of multiple attempts might flare up old low back injuries – I need to be careful here.

·       I have until Gripmas 2018 when I have to give Nate back his Dumbbell (Thanks Nate) but I really hope to get it sooner so I can concentrate on climbing before fall when the climbing trips start.  

This will not be a training log that I keep updated here on the board - I have that covered other places.   

Wish my luck!   

Edited by climber511
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Chris, now us younger guys don't have any excuses.  

Good luck Chris!  You have a solid plan.  I think you will make it there.  What exactly is the Synergy Forearms? 

Good luck Chris. Looking forward to following your progress 

For anyone interested here's my training log.  It's been a rough year health wise so it looks a lot like a little girls log but if I can stay healthy I think the weights will come up steadily.

http://climber511.blogspot.com/

Synergy Forearms is on the board here someplace but my search function skills must be lacking today - nothing came up.   If no one can find it - I'll see what I can do - I really didn't want to have to type it out again - really busy today.

This is Level 1

· Wrist twists with pipes – arms straight - just a warm up

· Wrist twists with pipes – arms bent - just a warm up

· Wrist Curls - 6 reps

· Reverse wrist curls - 8 reps

· Wrist Curls - 6 reps

· Reverse wrist curls - 8 reps

· Behind the back Wrist Curls - 6 reps

· Reverse curls - 8 reps

· Behind the back Wrist Curls - 6 reps

· Reverse curls - 8 reps

· SED Wrist Abductions - 8 reps

· SED Wrist Adductions - 8 reps

· SED Wrist Twists - 8 reps

SED means Single End Dumbbell

Nor rest - when you can add weight - enjoy!

What this means to me is that any time I get the recommended number or reps (6 or 8) I will add weight.

Edited by climber511

31 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

I have a pdf of the out of print Synergy Forearms guide. The pipe twists make a good addition to my warm up.

I have the original book - bought long ago - also have the Secrets of Advanced Body Building and the Ab and Calves program.  I used them with great results several decades ago.

I see where Power Forearms in available on Amazon now too.

Edited by climber511

Good luck with Your training, Chris! I assume You'll get it done sooner or later - considering Your axle numbers it can't take too long!

34 minutes ago, burkhardmacht said:

Good luck with Your training, Chris! I assume You'll get it done sooner or later - considering Your axle numbers it can't take too long!

Thank you!  A few years back I had John Eaton's Inch for a while and had 2 or 3 lifts to the bottom of my knee - almost enough.  Then I had to return it and haven't had one to train with since.  Here's hoping I can get it done this time.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Thank you!  A few years back I had John Eaton's Inch for a while and had 2 or 3 lifts to the bottom of my knee - almost enough.  Then I had to return it and haven't had one to train with since.  Here's hoping I can get it done this time.

Wow I didn't know You had nearly succeeded! Sure You'll get it!!

9 minutes ago, burkhardmacht said:

Wow I didn't know You had nearly succeeded! Sure You'll get it!!

It's been several years since then - each year now is costing me more than it used to in strength.  I think I have a good shot at it if my health holds up - it was a rough year last year.

I wish You all the best - You blog is bookmarked! ;-)

Good luck Chris! I will follow this!

On 12/22/2017 at 3:15 PM, climber511 said:

Hey Chris, 

I have a recommendation for you that seems to simulate the inch without owning one. Have Lucas Raymond make you a 2 3/8 inch wrist wrench replica. I can tell you it works wonders.... especially if having wrists strong enough to counter the inch rotation is your goal. Lift roughly 100 or so on the wrist wrench and most likely you will lift the inch. You can increase your chances by doing the lifts Standing on cinder  blocks to increase your pull time under tension. Good luck and Godspeed!

10 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Hey Chris, 

I have a recommendation for you that seems to simulate the inch without owning one. Have Lucas Raymond make you a 2 3/8 inch wrist wrench replica. I can tell you it works wonders.... especially if having wrists strong enough to counter the inch rotation is your goal. Lift roughly 100 or so on the wrist wrench and most likely you will lift the inch. You can increase your chances by doing the lifts Standing on cinder  blocks to increase your pull time under tension. Good luck and Godspeed!

I've already made up both a 2" and 2 3/8" wrist wrench - thank you for your thoughts!

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

I've already made up both a 2" and 2 3/8" wrist wrench - thank you for your thoughts!

Oh that’s great.... may be the best tool for the inch that you can progressively load.

3 hours ago, jvance said:

You'll get it Chris... nothing like the Chase

You Bolsun - May there Be a Road.  It's always about the journey.

• Like 3