You only thought you were a bender of steel!!!

Martin Gaisser

Pictures of the bends Gary sent me.

IMG_0581.jpg

• Like 2

Hmm, he must have bent several railroad spikes then. Because that one is bent the “right” way where the head isn’t going to be stabbing your palm. 

For poops and giggles I did a quick stress test to a railroad spike I have. The one I have is from sometime in the 1940’s to 1960’s. Very rust bitten and looks thinner than the one on Chris’s picture. I didn’t manage to budge the railroad spike but was able to bend two Edgin bolts simultaneously. So the railroad spike I have is harder to bend than two 7 x 5/16th grade 5 bolts  by an undetermined amount.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Hmm, he must have bent several railroad spikes then. Because that one is bent the “right” way where the head isn’t going to be stabbing your palm. 

For poops and giggles I did a quick stress test to a railroad spike I have. The one I have is from sometime in the 1940’s to 1960’s. Very rust bitten and looks thinner than the one on Chris’s picture. I didn’t manage to budge the railroad spike but was able to bend two Edgin bolts simultaneously. So the railroad spike I have is harder to bend than two 7 x 5/16th grade 5 bolts  by an undetermined amount.

Wow, you bent 2 Edgins simultaneously, that is crazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Wow, you bent 2 Edgins simultaneously, that is crazy.

A pipe or some kind of leverage device might've been involved I imagine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, acromegaman said:

A pipe or some kind of leverage device might've been involved I imagine.

Oh yeah I assume so too.

• Like 1

Yes, I locked the bars in place with a 15 kg plate and then I jumped on them. Very unscientific but I could only find one of my old pipes so I had to improvise. Doing this bent the two Edgins but did nothing to the railroad spike. Without knowing for sure, I’d say the spike would require WELL over 1000 lbs to bend. My railroad spike is 7” long and 1/2” thick. The thickness varies a bit since the spike is so corroded. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Yes, I locked the bars in place with a 15 kg plate and then I jumped on them. Very unscientific but I could only find one of my old pipes so I had to improvise. Doing this bent the two Edgins but did nothing to the railroad spike. Without knowing for sure, I’d say the spike would require WELL over 1000 lbs to bend. My railroad spike is 7” long and 1/2” thick. The thickness varies a bit since the spike is so corroded. 

David you are weak. I bet Gazza could do it barehanded with a broken wrist, unbraced :cool

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

David you are weak. I bet Gazza could do it barehanded with a broken wrist, unbraced :cool

Yes, I must improve my strength! I’ll be out in the grassy fields, training and screaming like a madman!  ;) :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought a bar of SS that I used to like bending reverse.  I hit some what I thought were big bends for me and thought I was starting to do something until I went back to CRS and realized the characteristics of the steel.  I used to reverse a bunch of bends and come back later and DO them - I quit liking SS right after that :). 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I bought a bar of SS that I used to like bending reverse.  I hit some what I thought were big bends for me and thought I was starting to do something until I went back to CRS and realized the characteristics of the steel.  I used to reverse a bunch of bends and come back later and DO them - I quit liking SS right after that :). 

SS definitely gives you a glimmer of hope until it sticks you in the gut. Lol

4 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

SS definitely gives you a glimmer of hope until it sticks you in the gut. Lol

It also give you the feeling you're good at reverse bending - until some CRS reality comes to roast LOL.  SS goes to 40 degrees just fine :)

7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Ageed. All accept the crush, the stainless stuff i was able to bend certainly felt easier to kink and sweep than the crs stuff from FBBC at the time. In fact, i took a KOASB to about 90 degrees DO before i was able to take a big grade 8 that far. But man did that thing stop me in my tracks at about 90 degrees!

and while i did finish multiple big grade 8's including some in single BB wraps, and a 6.5" grade 8, i never came close to finishing a KOASB. Even in thick doubles. So the thought of a 5" Shiny King in singles is nuts. ....and this is coming from a self proclaimed optimist!

Tommy, 5" the old HARD SS. As a warm up for a much much bigger bend. In unseasoned IM pads. Any man should do that should easily (as what @David_wigren said too) bend and cert on the gold behind his back.

Edit: Was it the time when he had a broken wrist too with a cast on his hands?

Edited by Alawadhi

I found a 60d size aluminum gutter nail the other day, aluminum squeeks when you bend it.

Most likely if there were shenanigans, it was annealed stainless, that will soften it up.

I think quite a few of his bends were meticulously verified.  Like known bending stock marked for easy identification and sent to him by a reputable person (bencrush I believe) then opened, measured, and bent on video without ever leaving the frame.  It would be hard to cheat in that scenario. 

2 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Btw, not at all trying to bash a guy whos not even here to defend himself.. just raising old questions so folks can get the whole story and decide themself. I wouldnt attempt to change anyones mind if they believe all gazzas bends to be legit. But my stance is that the bends in question are just too good to be true. 

Notice that Juha is doing things with the gold nail that has never been done. And is eons ahead of everyone right now. However, Juha's excellent gold nail bends are well within reality, even if way out of reach for some of the best benders. 

gazzas bends are eons ahead of Juha even at his current elite level. Im in agreement that if gazza actually did the bends hes credited with, that he could have done a gold nail with his bare hands. To me thats just too far fetched. I have notoriously hard callous hands. (So i still get told. Whatever.) Even for a guy in automotive. And a gold nail bare handed would still rip me to shreds. Its hard for me to fathom really. i really do want to believe it.. but i just cant bring myself to.

Good post.  All good points.  And yeah, all of this has always been part of the "Gazza Story"

5 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Btw, not at all trying to bash a guy whos not even here to defend himself.. just raising old questions so folks can get the whole story and decide themself. I wouldnt attempt to change anyones mind if they believe all gazzas bends to be legit. But my stance is that the bends in question are just too good to be true. 

Notice that Juha is doing things with the gold nail that has never been done. And is eons ahead of everyone right now. However, Juha's excellent gold nail bends are well within reality, even if way out of reach for some of the best benders. 

gazzas bends are eons ahead of Juha even at his current elite level. Im in agreement that if gazza actually did the bends hes credited with, that he could have done a gold nail with his bare hands. To me thats just too far fetched. I have notoriously hard callous hands. (So i still get told. Whatever.) Even for a guy in automotive. And a gold nail bare handed would still rip me to shreds. Its hard for me to fathom really. i really do want to believe it.. but i just cant bring myself to.

Didn't even think about this since I only messed around with bending a little but I have bent a shiny and I remember it was easy at the start and ramped up like crazy. Good points 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I think quite a few of his bends were meticulously verified.  Like known bending stock marked for easy identification and sent to him by a reputable person (bencrush I believe) then opened, measured, and bent on video without ever leaving the frame.  It would be hard to cheat in that scenario. 

Some tape on a bar is not what I would refer to as meticulously verified. Especially not concerning that the package was sent to him and he had all the time in the world to cut the envelope open and just switch the tape onto another bar, re-seal the envelope and then go shoot a video. #instantworldfamous

Meticulously verified would be if someone were actually present during the bend. Someone who actually knows enough about steel bending to see if something fishy were going on and can verify that the bars are what they are claimed to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Some tape on a bar is not what I would refer to as meticulously verified. Especially not concerning that the package was sent to him and he had all the time in the world to cut the envelope open and just switch the tape onto another bar, re-seal the envelope and then go shoot a video. #instantworldfamous

Meticulously verified would be if someone were actually present during the bend. Someone who actually knows enough about steel bending to see if something fishy were going on and can verify that the bars are what they are claimed to be.

Yeah, true enough.  I concede those points.  Meticulous isn't the right word. 

This experience was one of several that resulted in the strictness of proof needed these days.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting read gentlemen...  usually if something is so far fetched it has to be scrutinized!  

Very good points made by Tommy & Wiggy.. two highly respected guys in the grip/ steel bending community!   Not knocking anyone’s accomplishments but we have to maintain the integrity of the sport.  

We have all certed some heavy steel bars in the past & know how stringent the process can be.. anything less is doing a disservice to the grip/ strength community!  

Salute gentlemen!  💪🏻😎💯

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

WOW! I cant believe what I'm reading. The guy was a special kind of crazy, the way he hit those bends was like he was fighting for his life. I have never nor have I ever witnessed any other bender bend like that. I remember reading how he would hit isos in the stall at work. I cant say that these bends were 100% legit how could I but damn...

I don't mean to stir up any feelings or anything, I know I haven't been on this forum for a decade and a lot might have happened since. I just always thought of Gary as the inspiration back when I was bending seriously. He was my inspiration for pushing through the hard bends. Reading that he was a fraud just really upsets me. Not sure what to think.