You only thought you were a bender of steel!!!

Martin Gaisser

After searching the web I came across these videos on a Russian social media site.  Anyone can find them using your web browser so I’m assuming it’s ok to post them.  One of them is also on YouTube as well.  I know a lot of people have never witnessed anything of this magnitude and would get totally physced watching these.  I know I did.  I had quite a few of these videos privately sent to me from a friend but lost them all when my brother crashed my computer.  These are probably out of reach for 99.9% of the population but are not his hardest bends.  This is sure to give the upper level benders a drive to push harder and the newbies, well you may feel like crying and giving up but don’t.  We all started out with small stuff too.  And frankly it really shouldn’t discourage anyone because I truly believe no one will ever match some of his feats.  The planets aligned the day he was born, that is if he’s really human.  In all seriousness he is really one of the nicest most helpful people you could ever talk to and I’m glad that I had that opportunity on several occasions.  Hope your doing well old friend.  To the ones who’ve never had the pleasure let me introduce you to the punisher of stainless steel Gary Hunt aka “GAZA”

4 Shiny Bastards

https://vk.com/video9769525_166994468

HKOASB

https://vk.com/video9769525_166940295

Barehand Shiny Bastard

https://vk.com/video9769525_167134317?list=0709d9ecd458190b09

• Like 4

Just curious if there’s anyone who has some video of GASA’s other bends.  If so please pm me.  I would love to get back some or all of the ones I lost and they will be kept private.  I only posted the previous ones because they were already public. Thanks. 

There used to be quite a few of Gary's bends out  there - not sure what happened to them.  He sent me a few of his bends for my Wall of Strength - simply incredible stuff!

• Like 2

What ever happened to him anyway?  Guy is legendary but I feel like “Searching for Bobby Fisher” 

this was the first time I ever got to see him bend, so thanks for reposting

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

What ever happened to him anyway?  Guy is legendary but I feel like “Searching for Bobby Fisher” 

this was the first time I ever got to see him bend, so thanks for reposting

Glad you liked it.  The last time I spoke with Gary several years ago he was pursuing his other hobby of photography.  

I wish I still had the videos that I lost. Here’s a list of the ones I had.  They were absolutely unreal.

4” Edgin in IM wraps

Psycho Shiny Bastard 3.5” x 5/16” SS

Maniacal Shiny Bastard 3”x 5/16” SS

2 Shiny Bastards taped together 

Big Shiny Bastard barehand

What he called the Grand KOASB and then some 5 3/8” x 10mm.  Under 5 min and crushes it to 1 1/4”

The “Gaza” 7” x 3/8” grade 5

5” x 8mm drill rod seated in single IM wrap

Just found a couple more. Enjoy.

Oh and forgive me for my misspelling of Gazza. Lol

Fantastic Shiny Bastard in thin wraps.  

https://vk.com/video-72902080_169950846

Big grade 8 in IM wraps and hand in cast.

https://m.vk.com/video100163419_165780112?list=f6f2f58454c3bb6c23&from=wall-64700379_21154

• Like 2

I don't see any of the old benders around commenting here but I will. Gazza once warmed up on a Mag KOASB in IM pads under two minutes crushed to 1.2"  to be prepared to bend a half an inch SS grade 303 6" round (or was it square?). That's even harder than what Joe Kinney did to a #4. Hmmmm @David_wigren what do you think? 

6 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Didnt he kink a rail road spike? 

He fully bent one.  climber511 has it hanging on his wall. 

I hear tell he snapped a st croix ultra light into 3 pieces.

i guess he tried to get back into it sometime ago but fell out of it quickly.  

On 12/17/2017 at 5:34 PM, Alawadhi said:

I don't see any of the old benders around commenting here but I will. Gazza once warmed up on a Mag KOASB in IM pads under two minutes crushed to 1.2"  to be prepared to bend a half an inch SS grade 303 6" round (or was it square?). That's even harder than what Joe Kinney did to a #4. Hmmmm @David_wigren what do you think? 

This is a sensitive topic since Gazza (Gary Hunt) was a highly regarded member of the steel bending community for many years. He offered good training advice and his videos seemed to have motivated many. Because of that, I still respect him, even though I am convinced that he was a fraud. 

The stuff he bent is just so beyond what anyone else has ever done. Gazza had a habit of deleting his videos a month or so after he posted them. Because of that only a few of the videos have survived. And those that survived are far, WAY far from his best bends. I can totally see someone bending a 4” shiny and 6” SKOAB. The thing however is that Gazza also posted a bend of a 3” shiny, called the mainiacal shiny. He also posted a 5” SKOAB in non seasoned ironmind pads. He bent 3/8 grade 5 bolts cut down to 5.5”. And he also claimed to have bent a railroad spike with paper towels off camera. For those who don’t know, the railroad spikes are close to 5/8” thick and about 6” long. And speaking of barehanded, he posted a grand shiny bare handed. Those 7” shiny’s he used to bend heslep style in handcuffs barehanded. All of his bends were of course done with very strict style, especially his DU and reverse bends.

All of this is just simply too much to believe without solid evidence. Gazza never bent anything extraordinary in front of anyone. He did do a few bends with Maxwell, but that was from a time when Gazza was barely bending regular 7” bastards. Gazza had a history of competing in grip before and after his steel bending career, with mediocre results. Odd how he never wanted to officially prove his steel bending prowess when he was with no exaggeration, mora than twice as strong as anyone else has ever been. Yet he was still willing to compete in grip and do poorly. In fact, Gazza even seemed to avoid bending steel in front of anyone who could positively verify or disprove his bends. In 2011 Gazza was very vocal about wanting to challenge Pat Povilaitis at a steel bend off. Little did he know was that at the same time some of us steel benders were in contact with Randall Strossen over at Ironmind discussing the creation of the Gold nail. After the dimensions of the Gold nail was settled, Randall offered Gazza and Pat to certify on the gold nail with seperate official judges. This should’ve been a cake walk for Gazza, who could probably have bent a gold nail behind his back, assuming he was legit. But instead he went completely silent and asked never to be talked about again. He refused the offer from Randall, citing some old beef with Ironmind as a reason why he didn’t want to participate in the challenge. A lame excuse if you ask me. Funny enough, the dispute between Gazza and Ironmind was that Randall had heard from Robert Baraban that Gazza had tried to have Baraban switch handles of his grippers, so that they would be incorrectly labeled. Randall told about this on the forums and Gazza didn’t like it.

Long story short. Was Gazza a cool dude that offered good advice to people and served as good motivation? Yes. Was his bends actually real? I very much doubt it.

• Like 7

I think the pot getting stirred is inevitable on a topic like this, so I'm gonng dive right in and play devils advocate: with all these monster bending claims having one common denominator - stainless - is it at least possible that it was aluminium or polished aluminium?  I.e. significantly easier than real stainless?  

54 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

This is a sensitive topic since Gazza (Gary Hunt) was a highly regarded member of the steel bending community for many years. He offered good training advice and his videos seemed to have motivated many. Because of that, I still respect him, even though I am convinced that he was a fraud. 

The stuff he bent is just so beyond what anyone else has ever done. Gazza had a habit of deleting his videos a month or so after he posted them. Because of that only a few of the videos have survived. And those that survived are far, WAY far from his best bends. I can totally see someone bending a 4” shiny and 6” SKOAB. The thing however is that Gazza also posted a bend of a 3” shiny, called the mainiacal shiny. He also posted a 5” SKOAB in non seasoned ironmind pads. He bent 3/8 grade 5 bolts cut down to 5.5”. And he also claimed to have bent a railroad spike with paper towels off camera. For those who don’t know, the railroad spikes are close to 5/8” thick and about 6” long. And speaking of barehanded, he posted a grand shiny bare handed. Those 7” shiny’s he used to bend heslep style in handcuffs barehanded. All of his bends were of course done with very strict style, especially his DU and reverse bends.

All of this is just simply too much to believe without solid evidence. Gazza never bent anything extraordinary in front of anyone. He did do a few bends with Maxwell, but that was from a time when Gazza was barely bending regular 7” bastards. Gazza had a history of competing in grip before and after his steel bending career, with mediocre results. Odd how he never wanted to officially prove his steel bending prowess when he was with no exaggeration, mora than twice as strong as anyone else has ever been. Yet he was still willing to compete in grip and do poorly. In fact, Gazza even seemed to avoid bending steel in front of anyone who could positively verify or disprove his bends. In 2011 Gazza was very vocal about wanting to challenge Pat Povilaitis at a steel bend off. Little did he know was that at the same time some of us steel benders were in contact with Randall Strossen over at Ironmind discussing the creation of the Gold nail. After the dimensions of the Gold nail was settled, Randall offered Gazza and Pat to certify on the gold nail with seperate official judges. This should’ve been a cake walk for Gazza, who could probably have bent a gold nail behind his back, assuming he was legit. But instead he went completely silent and asked never to be talked about again. He refused the offer from Randall, citing some old beef with Ironmind as a reason why he didn’t want to participate in the challenge. A lame excuse if you ask me. Funny enough, the dispute between Gazza and Ironmind was that Randall had heard from Robert Baraban that Gazza had tried to have Baraban switch handles of his grippers, so that they would be incorrectly labeled. Randall told about this on the forums and Gazza didn’t like it.

Long story short. Was Gazza a cool dude that offered good advice to people and served as good motivation? Yes. Was his bends actually real? I very much doubt it.

I love your diplomatic answer and up to the point (some others won't dare say that dunno why :S ). Your country should offer you the position of the Minister of Foreign Affairs haha (not kidding though that was smart). All true. Joe Kinney alo had very good advice's like the secret weapon and gripper extension and so on.

41 minutes ago, KRC said:

I think the pot getting stirred is inevitable on a topic like this, so I'm gonng dive right in and play devils advocate: with all these monster bending claims having one common denominator - stainless - is it at least possible that it was aluminium or polished aluminium?  I.e. significantly easier than real stainless?  

I really don't know. Maybe, maybe not. But yes it will be much much waaay easier than a stainless.

Edited by Alawadhi

5 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Wow, very good argument - thanks for the explanation and your thoughts

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

I have a few of Gary's bends on my wall of strength that he sent to me.  What I have is not aluminum but stainless and the railroad spike is simply nuts.  I make no judgements but I watched many of his videos back in the day - very impressive and if faked he did a heck of a job on them.   One thing to know is that the spike is not an American railroad spike but a smaller one I assume is British?  But looking at it and imagining bending it is beyond my comprehension. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, climber511 said:

I have a few of Gary's bends on my wall of strength that he sent to me.  What I have is not aluminum but stainless and the railroad spike is simply nuts.  I make no judgements but I watched many of his videos back in the day - very impressive and if faked he did a heck of a job on them.   One thing to know is that the spike is not an American railroad spike but a smaller one I assume is British?  But looking at it and imagining bending it is beyond my comprehension. 

This qoute is by KRC but dunno why my name "Alawadhi" is shown?! Anyway Chris, was there any video of the spike he bent on video? I assume KRC was asking about those bends on video are they Aluminum. I can also send three inch thick square in 7 inches bent and claim it has been me. @David_wigren point is, Gazza best bend was quadruple of the best benders. Avoiding doing bends in front of people, when asked he used to get aggressive and verbal. His word was bond. Joe Kinney was. John Wood and his father too. David explanation was very well. Anyone who is open minded will see the facts.

Edit: yes I remember now he once bent a 6" G8 with broken wrists (reverse too) and then did insane koasb. Broken wrist?! Comon!!! Yeah the old KOASB were extremely hard. As in very hard. I know of no one who bent it. I sent it to that very strong Russian man and for some reason it wasn't picked and was returned back to me (yes he confirmed with me to send to him). He said the post office don' wanna deliver it. I really dunno. So yeah steel varies and Gazza was doing those old ones. :rolleyes

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

This qoute is by KRC but dunno why my name "Alawadhi" is shown?! Anyway Chris, was there any video of the spike he bent on video? I assume KRC was asking about those bends on video are they Aluminum. I can also send three inch thick square in 7 inches bent and claim it has been me. @David_wigren point is, Gazza best bend was quadruple of the best benders. Avoiding doing bends in front of people, when asked he used to get aggressive and verbal. His word was bond. Joe Kinney was. John Wood and his father too. David explanation was very well. Anyone who is open minded will see the facts.

I can't swear to it but I keep thinking there was video of the spike bend ???.  I used to have video of a lot of his bends several years ago but then my HD crashed and I lost all of it along with lots of video by different people.  We may never know definitely.  I really like to believe people but I have been proven wrong so many times I'm kind of gun shy any more.  

20 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I can't swear to it but I keep thinking there was video of the spike bend ???.  I used to have video of a lot of his bends several years ago but then my HD crashed and I lost all of it along with lots of video by different people.  We may never know definitely.  I really like to believe people but I have been proven wrong so many times I'm kind of gun shy any more.  

There was no video of the spike bend. He posted pictures of it where he had bent it further and further gradually. At that time, Tim Iacubucci was doing some test bends using steel pipes bending similar railroad spikes and he said they were very hard to cheat bend even with pipes, dunno if i was the exact same type though. I think I have some of the pictures from the railroad spike Gazza bent on my old laptop. Oddly enough I remember him bending them in the “wrong” way. So that the head of the spike would’ve been poking into his palm. That had a few of us perplexed as to why he supposedly bent it that way.

Yes, like Alawhadi said. The stainless back in those days where hard! I don’t know where the stainless is at now, but I remember them being very much softer by the time I “quit” steel bending at 2013. Pre 2010, once you could bend a shiny bastard you were ready to start bending 5” red nails and Edgins. In 2013 it almost felt like the shiny bastards were easier than the regular bastards.

• Like 1

@climber511 could you please provide a pic of the spike when you get a chance? It's just for curiosity purposes. Anything short steel bending related pretty much gives me a thrill.

• Like 2