Block weight Stats and Data - Blobzilla

richcottrell

Because of  the recent trip to York to hook up some grip people with a Blobzilla's at Gripmas  I have been thinking about just how much York Block weights vary.

For new Gripboard members, one Half of a 130b York "Legacy" Dumbbell is called "Blobzilla" after Daniel Reinard  created the idea back in 2011.  I believe his intent was to create  something that would not only be harder to lift then a Fatman Blob [1st Gen], but also to have something that was easy to purchase.   While the York Legacy shape is actually an easier shape to lift then the older York dumbbells, the larger weight of the 130lbs made the feat harder and the fact that York was still selling that style dumbbell meant anyone could get one if they wanted.

Fast forward to today;
While those dumbbells are still sold by York, the newest batch of Legecy Dumbbells has a very slick looking paint.  They were cast in China and York was so unhappy with that paint (according to their web site)  York is now selling them for only 50 cents per pound just to try to get rid of all of these flawed Legacy Dumbbells.  It is debatable if the Legacy design will be revisited or if that shape will be discontinued.  Either way, the supplier who made them for York will no longer make York's Legacy Dumbbells, or so I was told by the a guy at York Barbell last week.

Getting back to Blockweights and the reason for this new thread, After seeing this flawed paint in person and having them at Gripmas so other guys could see it, most of us agreed the paint looked super slick.   I started joking that this batch of the 130 dumbbells should be called Slickzillas until someone lifts one.

But besides the paint, WE now have the individual weights from the 8 happy owners so here are the weights of the "Slick Paint" Blobzillas:
York Sides:
63.7#
63.0#
62.2#
61.1#

Number Sides:
63.6#
62.9#
61.7#
64.6# with the handle still attached [so that would probably be close to 63# if the handle was cut off

I would love to see how these numbers compare to other Blobzillas that do NOT have the messed up paint...
Nate Brous said his is 64.7# (I can not remember if that was the number side or York).  I think Gil might own the other half of that dumbbell

Also looking back over previous grip board threads:
Daniel Reinard said his was 62# on a bathroom scale (in 2011) - This was the first Blobzilla
also
Wade said his was 64.5# on a postal scale (Dec 2011).

If you own a Blobzilla would you please add to this list.  I am real curious if the newer Blobzillas are at least comparable in weight to the older Legacy Dumbbells or if there weights are also much different. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Blobzilla - 62.9

Blobfather - 66.6

thanks.  are those the number side or the york side?

Blobzilla number, Blobfather York - Also uploaded them to my instagram

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

York side blobzilla: 63.4lbs

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Finally got around to cutting my handle off, also with paint removed

Number side: 62.6lbs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1