Jump to content
Martin Gaisser

GOALS FOR 2018

Recommended Posts

Martin Gaisser

Hey guys its been a while since I've been around.  I know some of you and theirs a lot of new guys around.  Its been about 7 years since I've done anything grip or exercise related so to say I'm out of shape is an understatement!!!  Lol.  Pretty amazing how much things have took off since I was active and even more amazing is the feats that are being performed.  And how about that Swede???  Has he done got swole or what???  Send me your nutritional and workout plan David.  Lol.  Pretty crazy.  Anyways at 40 I'm gonna give it one more go and see what I can do.  So here's my list of feats I'd like to accomplish by the end of 2018.  Feel free to add yours as well.

First I'd like to get back to where I left off and get back in the gym and get as strong overall as possible.  At this point my goal with the weights is just do the work and I'll be happy wherever I end up.  

 All of these I accomplished in 6-8 months so hopefully a year should be enough time if I ain't too broke down.. Lol

1.  COC 3.5 - 7 reps parallel set

2.  Insane Bastard DO -  FBBC rules

3.  DS5 - under 1 minute and current rules

Never accomplished feats

1.  Lift my Blob

2.  Lift the Inch

I'll try to post some progress from time to time and if its a moderate of substantial feat for me I'll try to get some video.   Any  encouragement or advice is welcome.  

Good luck in the next year guys.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wobbler

There was a 2017 thread too, good reading.

Mine are (current):

Blob50 (45 fatman)

New red nail and/or 1/4×6 g8 bolt imps with bands in one session, like within 20 minutes or so (haven't been bending lately so don't know)

Yellow nail barehand, file off the sharp edges (get about 10* then it's a pain tolerance issue)

65 imhub (59lbs)

250 vbar consistently (238 with perfect conditions)

150 little big horn (138)

85 flask (75)

Stay 83kg (right at 83kg most days, bending makes me gain weight)

Cast a wide net and I'll get some of them :)

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan

Horizontally tear bicycle playing cards consistently. 

1/4”x7 crs square DUH

Red Nail DUH

FBBC Bastard DUH

Grade 5 bolt DUH (kinked)

MM1 and MM2 possibly 3 if progress doesnt stall. 

Bend my first shoe

Face lever 25lb right handed (20 right now) 20lbs left handed(16 right now) with strict form.

Drop weight and start climbing

 

  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chez

MM7 gripper certification - this has dragged on for way too long. I'm not even going to bother with other goals. I'm just focusing on this. Obsessed with this goal at this point. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Climber028

75 on flask, currently 62

170+ on 2hp Euro, currently ~150

One arm pull up on rolling thunder. I think I can do it but have never had an opportunity

150+ on inch style dumbbell. Currently ~125. Luckily I got a nice new handle from Gripmas to train with

~130 on a gripper, currently low 110s

I think I still have a lot of room for improvement with technique in all of these, going to competitions and watching experienced people has been extremely helpful in that regard.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
climber511

2018 Goals

 

            2017 was a rough year.  I developed Trigeminal Neuralgia - a condition I wouldn’t wish on anyone.  But it’s December now and it finally seems to be under control (started in January).  But the side effects from the medication aren’t all that great.  But I did manage a good year of rock climbing but a terrible year of weight training – losing a lot of strength and having a lot of generalized pain and stiffness for no reason I can understand.  I have some tremors – fatigue - and a loss of balance that’s interesting from the medication.  I did reduce my body weight down to around 190# and a BF% close to 8-9% as measured with my calipers – this was one goal I actually managed to achieve.   Also have a couple other health issues to solve.  So 2018 is offering some new challenges I haven’t had to face before.  But I have decided on four basic goals for the year plus the obvious one of working on my health conditions – keeping myself with only minimal pain and controlling the medication side effects as much as I can.

1.     The year I turned 50 I did one of those 12 week challenge type things.  I got a tan, shaved off all my hair and took some pictures.  I was pretty pleased with the results.  So this year I turn 70 and the plan is to do this again.  Starting around the first of the year I’m going to include some body building style work with the intention of taking pictures just after my birthday in August.  Body fat has to be kept at 12% or under the entire time and I hope to keep body weight under 210# during the buildup.  Along with this will be enough cardio for general health and conditioning. 

2.     2018 will be The Last Gripmas Carol grip contest.  As probably the only 70 year old competing I should win my age group anyway.  Plus every lift will be an age group World Record – which doesn’t mean a lot if I’m the only one in that class.  But my hope is to set some standards for other people my age and to encourage other older strength athletes to not give in to father time as easily.  The format will be quite different than anything seen previously.  My goal is to do some respectable lifting at this – my last contest.

3.     Nate Brous loaned me his Inch Dumbbell – I want to lift it to full deadlift – this is the only Grip feat I wanted to do that I haven’t done.  Yet.

4.     Continue rock climbing and try to maintain or even improve a little.  This will be very difficult short term with the weight gain from the body building but we will see.  Long term I still have some routes I want to do with my wife – some with a stronger male partner – and a couple mountain routes I’d like to do.  I think I can climb well for several more years if my health holds out.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan
2 hours ago, climber511 said:

2018 Goals

 

 

 

            2017 was a rough year.  I developed Trigeminal Neuralgia - a condition I wouldn’t wish on anyone.  But it’s December now and it finally seems to be under control (started in January).  But the side effects from the medication aren’t all that great.  But I did manage a good year of rock climbing but a terrible year of weight training – losing a lot of strength and having a lot of generalized pain and stiffness for no reason I can understand.  I have some tremors – fatigue - and a loss of balance that’s interesting from the medication.  I did reduce my body weight down to around 190# and a BF% close to 8-9% as measured with my calipers – this was one goal I actually managed to achieve.   Also have a couple other health issues to solve.  So 2018 is offering some new challenges I haven’t had to face before.  But I have decided on four basic goals for the year plus the obvious one of working on my health conditions – keeping myself with only minimal pain and controlling the medication side effects as much as I can.

 

1.     The year I turned 50 I did one of those 12 week challenge type things.  I got a tan, shaved off all my hair and took some pictures.  I was pretty pleased with the results.  So this year I turn 70 and the plan is to do this again.  Starting around the first of the year I’m going to include some body building style work with the intention of taking pictures just after my birthday in August.  Body fat has to be kept at 12% or under the entire time and I hope to keep body weight under 210# during the buildup.  Along with this will be enough cardio for general health and conditioning. 

 

2.     2018 will be The Last Gripmas Carol grip contest.  As probably the only 70 year old competing I should win my age group anyway.  Plus every lift will be an age group World Record – which doesn’t mean a lot if I’m the only one in that class.  But my hope is to set some standards for other people my age and to encourage other older strength athletes to not give in to father time as easily.  The format will be quite different than anything seen previously.  My goal is to do some respectable lifting at this – my last contest.

 

3.     Nate Brous loaned me his Inch Dumbbell – I want to lift it to full deadlift – this is the only Grip feat I wanted to do that I haven’t done.  Yet.

 

4.     Continue rock climbing and try to maintain or even improve a little.  This will be very difficult short term with the weight gain from the body building but we will see.  Long term I still have some routes I want to do with my wife – some with a stronger male partner – and a couple mountain routes I’d like to do.  I think I can climb well for several more years if my health holds out.

 

I told my wife i want to go to gripmas and Im stuck with the regret that the last contest is the only one I might be able to attend. Unfortunatly it hinges on my wifes illness. I pray things go well on your end as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin Gaisser
1 hour ago, KapMan said:

I told my wife i want to go to gripmas and Im stuck with the regret that the last contest is the only one I might be able to attend. Unfortunatly it hinges on my wifes illness. I pray things go well on your end as well.

Never stop fighting and never give up.  Prayers out to both of you.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew Dube

2017 has been a good year for me. This is the first year that I haven't practiced martial arts and while I miss it tremendously, this is the year I discovered grip sport and this awesome community! I've also been able to focus on my strength training and eating and have made pretty nice progress despite having two young children who demand a lot of attention right now. Looking forward to 2018:

1. My number one goal is to develop a small morning practice. Mostly breathing exercises and spinal warmups. If you're familiar with Original Strength resets or Max Shanks 5 minute flow, that would be the kind of idea. Besides the obvious physical benefits, creating this time for myself would require adhering to a strict bedtime. Instead of "unwinding" with Netflix and waking up with just enough time to get ready for work and rush out the door. 

2. I will compete in my first strongman contest. Even if I don't think I'm strong enough, even if I zero every event. 

3. I will qualify for NAGS. With NAGS in June and only 4.5 hours away I don't have any excuse. I am <10% away on the qualifying numbers for the big three and confident I can exceed that by June. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lucasraymond

Goals 2018

1. Be more consistent in training. 2017 was a fulfilling year to say the least; preparing for a wedding, getting married/honeymoon, opening an official business (Arm Assassin Strength Shop), and buying a house. I put most of those ahead of my training so I missed a lot of workouts. My goal is that will not happen this year. 

2. Consistency with lifting the Inch

3. MM2 and possibly MM3 if training goes well

4. More armwrestling- missed a lot of tournaments this year

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan
On 12/13/2017 at 3:14 PM, Martin Gaisser said:

Never stop fighting and never give up.  Prayers out to both of you.  

Thank you

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury

Getting overall stronger and reverse bend a decently tough steel bar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
David_wigren
On 12/12/2017 at 11:04 PM, Martin Gaisser said:

  And how about that Swede???  Has he done got swole or what???  Send me your nutritional and workout plan David.  Lol.  Pretty crazy.

 

Hahaha! My nutritional plan is 95% garbage! Like really, you’d be surprised. However I’m physically active pretty much everyday, either by working out or by physical labor. That’s the secret! 

Wow, 7 years! Time goes by so fast. It’s good to see you back. I know how strong you were back then. With some time I’m sure you’ll get the strength back, and then some! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin Gaisser
5 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Hahaha! My nutritional plan is 95% garbage! Like really, you’d be surprised. However I’m physically active pretty much everyday, either by working out or by physical labor. That’s the secret! 

Wow, 7 years! Time goes by so fast. It’s good to see you back. I know how strong you were back then. With some time I’m sure you’ll get the strength back, and then some! 

Yea I’m with you on the nutrition David.  Life’s too short to eat a bunch of crap I hate and can’t really afford. I’ll just stay a little bit fat. Lol. 

I know man time flies.  Seems just like the other day me and Mike were so close on the bars and shoes and the next thing I know a few months have passed and he’s a big movie star with Jedd and all.  Meanwhile I’m recovering from surgery getting weak and fat.  Then I get recovered good  and start back to the gym and tear my labrum bench pressing.  Now I’m like wtf!!!Really???  Lol.  After that I got afraid I was just gonna screw things up worse and folded the towel.  Then the years just kept slipping on by.  It’s gonna take some time but if stay healthy I believe I can get back there by the end of the year.  Great to hear from you David.  Keep in touch.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IvankoGripper

225+lbs X 15reps each hand. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
On 12/16/2017 at 1:03 PM, Martin Gaisser said:

Yea I’m with you on the nutrition David.  Life’s too short to eat a bunch of crap I hate and can’t really afford. I’ll just stay a little bit fat. Lol. 

I know man time flies.  Seems just like the other day me and Mike were so close on the bars and shoes and the next thing I know a few months have passed and he’s a big movie star with Jedd and all.  Meanwhile I’m recovering from surgery getting weak and fat.  Then I get recovered good  and start back to the gym and tear my labrum bench pressing.  Now I’m like wtf!!!Really???  Lol.  After that I got afraid I was just gonna screw things up worse and folded the towel.  Then the years just kept slipping on by.  It’s gonna take some time but if stay healthy I believe I can get back there by the end of the year.  Great to hear from you David.  Keep in touch.  

 

Great seeing you back Martin! I'm dealing with a torn labrum and partially torn supraspinatus and biceps tendon myself.  So my goal of benching 400 is out.  Turned fifty this year.  Only a few goals.  I can't remember more than a few at my age.

- Pull 600lb again before I turn 51.

- 500lb DO dl

- 400lb DO axle dl

- 220lb 2hp at gripmas.

 

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin Gaisser
2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Great seeing you back Martin! I'm dealing with a torn labrum and partially torn supraspinatus and biceps tendon myself.  So my goal of benching 400 is out.  Turned fifty this year.  Only a few goals.  I can't remember more than a few at my age.

- Pull 600lb again before I turn 51.

- 500lb DO dl

- 400lb DO axle dl

- 220lb 2hp at gripmas.

 

Thanks Mike. I hate to hear that about the injuries.  I had surgery on mine but it still took a good while to get to feeling like it was safe to start doing anything heavy again.  Hope you get healed up soon.  Looking forward to seeing you crush those goals.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
benjaminBoy

If I can get one or two of these things this year I might be happy :)

-Lever my 16# hammer (done 14.5# in training)

-Get my MM0 (with my 146lb #3)

- 200# 2HP my flask (did 77.5kg in training)

- Do a pull on my flask( I can hang from it just can't pull my self up)

- Stop sucking at Thick Bar lifts in General 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crushonomics

Modest goals. I'm new to grip sport and still figuring out some of the implements.

1) Bend a Bastard. (I'm bending 60Ds and some heavier stuff comfortably. I've bent FBBC's 5/16 Grade 2s that come in about 50 pounds lighter than the Bastard. When I started adding other grip implements, the progress slowed down and fatigue started causing problems, so I'm working toward figuring out a program that works for me and toward consistently keeping that strength up. Nails are what got me into grip this year. They're still the event that makes me happiest. I want to progress and be healthier as I do.)

2) Close a CoC 2.5.

3) Flask: 100 1HP and 200 2HP (currently at 55 and 125, respectively. I'm not proud of those numbers by any means; I haven't lifted basically since high school and there's a lot to learn about how my hands and my body work. )

4) Drop to 105kg, so numbers I know I can hit look a little more respectable than they do at my current off-season weight.

5) Not grip related, but consistently run a 5K under 30 minutes. My best time last year was 30:18. Again, nothing to be proud of, but I was happy with the gains I made. I got sick, then lazy, and lost a bunch of my cardio fitness. Then, when the school year started, I let the gym fall by the wayside. I'm consistently back in the gym now on a schedule that's manageable for me. If I stay motivated and keep pushing, I can get my time down and my distance up so I can be the kind of athlete I know I can be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jose Cabrera

1: Middle split

2: Front split

3: Blob lift

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anwnate
1 hour ago, Jose Cabrera said:

1: Middle split

Owww!

2: Front split

Owww!

3: Blob lift

Woot!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wobbler
On 12/12/2017 at 7:00 PM, wobbler said:

There was a 2017 thread too, good reading.

Mine are (current):

Blob50 (45 fatman)

New red nail and/or 1/4×6 g8 bolt imps with bands in one session, like within 20 minutes or so (haven't been bending lately so don't know)

Yellow nail barehand, file off the sharp edges (get about 10* then it's a pain tolerance issue)

65 imhub (59lbs)

250 vbar consistently (238 with perfect conditions)

150 little big horn (138)

85 flask (75)

Stay 83kg (right at 83kg most days, bending makes me gain weight)

Cast a wide net and I'll get some of them :)

 

Quick update/revision:

Yellow nail in half sheet paper towel (still want barehand but need reverse/underhand work for that)

66.5 hub (new goal, 70)

83 flask (still want 85)

76.5 blockbuster (new goal, 80)

Bicycle card tear in 1:15 (new goal, full tear in 1:00 video including opening the box)

67.6 gold bar (70)

Work on thickbar, don't even know current status

Haven't touched any vertical lifts, not much blob work, easing in to bending, hovering at 185 but no shoes and if I know it's coming I can still squeak by at 183.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Diabolical
Posted (edited)

I just joined so it's a bit late, but I'll post anyway:

GOALS

Quote

Crush the CoC #3

Moontop 1h DL 28 lbs

Lever to nose 30 ft x lb of torque, Slim lever 16 ft x lbs, rear lever 22 ft x lbs

Rolling Thunder revolving DL 140 lbs

Rolling Thunder revolving pull up; 2h x 10 reps, 2h + 80 lbs; 1h x 15 seconds

CoC #3 Silver Bullet 8s

Apollon's Axle DL 260 lbs

Little Big Horn 130 lbs

Hub 2h key lift 65 lbs

Block 1h pinch 70 lbs

Bend a Red Nail

 

I'll stop there.

Edited by Diabolical
clarified some lift names, adjusted some to be more realistic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vinnie
Posted (edited)

Some goals for the next year (by my 50th birthday on April 27, 2019):

--cert GHP 7, MM1, and IM cert COC3 (I grouped them because the training is mostly the same, but I realize they each have their peculiarities; I expect to do them in the order I listed them, with GHP7 being any day now, and the others being a little further ahead but not too unrealistic for a one-year goal);

--pull 200 on a Napalm Euro pinch (my PR is 193.5 and I have gotten air on 200);

--get to 74kg weight class (I am at the top of 83kg, but carrying a little paunch and the top of 74 kg would be my ideal fit weight);

--pinch five 10-pound plates (long term I'd love to join the two 45-pound plates club, but baby steps ... my best plate pinch yet is two 35s in both hands at once);

--pull 300 on Napalm's nightmare (2 3/8"; got around 285 last week);

--attend nationals, King Kong, and the Last Gripmas;

--return to my paid gym and do some cardio, which I hate but need;

--learn more about grip sports, try some new implements, and develop some new goals for the year after!

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan

Revised goal;

Get back into grip.

Got a plan to make extra money and there by feeding that passion. My plan is to just work gripsport events and lose weight id like to get into -120kg class and back to competition by 2020. Id also like to host a contest here in NC if I can collaborate with NC PUA and get something setup to get NC on the map for annual contests. Venue is set already on my end. Just need peeps and gear. And a pop up book explaining how to score a contest🤪

Praying hard as hell I can knock all three off the list in the next couple of years. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×