2018 NAGS Championship

Jedd Johnson

I'd like to put my hat in the ring to hold Nationals this year.

I've cleared it with Brad Martin to run it at his giant facility, Titan Strength in Elmira, New York

The town of Elmira is located in upstate New York, and has airports and hotels nearby, so it would be much easier to get there and to find lodging, for the competitors and their families than holding it here.

Initial feedback from feeling out competitors is that the attendance would be very good from the Canadian constituents.

The Titan Strength Gym is HUGE.  There would be plenty of room for the event, as well as making it awesome for multiple platforms to be run for the events like 2HP, Axle, Crusher, etc.  Also, it would allow for excellent room for a Mighty Medley.

Open to insightful thoughts and constructive discussion.

Date would be the first Saturday in June, 2018, which is 6/2/18.

Thanks.

• Like 4

Hell ya. I just looked the gym up and its only a 4 hr drive from me which isn't bad at all. If you hold it, I'll be there unless something really major comes up last second. 

Not sure if I can make the drive. (as I sit at work in Elmira, 2 miles from Brad's gym)

• Haha 1

That's only 4.5 hours from Waterloo @Rob McMurren Qualifying for NAGS just moved to the top of my goal list for 2018

• Like 2

This would be the first nationals held in New York state right? Cuz if so I will definitely get myself qualified - actually either way I'm with @Andrew Dube that qualifying just moved to the top of my list - somehow mid way between Waterloo, Ontario and NYC - Elmira, NY

Glad to hear there is some positive reaction to this.

I'm also happy to announce the Gil is cool with me taking it over.  I should have checked with him before posting, but didn't think it through.  Either way, it looks like we are in business for it.

I have not decided on the events yet, but I do like the historic precedent of Grippers, Euro, Axle, Wrist Event, Medley.

• Like 3

I was planning on just being a spectator but looking at the qualifications it seems within my reach, and happens to coincide with some of my goals

• Like 2

On 12/12/2017 at 4:22 PM, Andrew Dube said:

That's only 4.5 hours from Waterloo @Rob McMurren Qualifying for NAGS just moved to the top of my goal list for 2018

I didn't realize you guys were so close to NY. Maybe I can take a trip up there sometime in the future for a Canadian contest. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

I didn't realize you guys were so close to NY. Maybe I can take a trip up there sometime in the future for a Canadian contest. 

Looks like Waterloo is still 8 hrs from NYC and Ottawa is 7 Hours. If you decide to make the trip though we'd love to have you! I'm actually thinking about hosting a contest in my backyard this summer. Nothing more than an idea at the moment.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Looks like Waterloo is still 8 hrs from NYC and Ottawa is 7 Hours. If you decide to make the trip though we'd love to have you! I'm actually thinking about hosting a contest in my backyard this summer. Nothing more than an idea at the moment.

I'm like 40 mins north of NYC. I just drove over 9 hrs to gripmas so its doable! I have always wanted to see Canada also. 

• Like 2

I drove to the New York Grip Throw Down from Ottawa and back on the same day in 2014. It’s a long day, but doable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

I'm like 40 mins north of NYC. I just drove over 9 hrs to gripmas so its doable! I have always wanted to see Canada also. 

You'd be driving right through Niagara wine country to get to Waterloo, you might get sidetracked.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob McMurren said:

You'd be driving right through Niagara wine country to get to Waterloo, you might get sidetracked.

Haha. Then I will def win. Wine power! 

Edited by Chez

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone.

We're making strides forward for Nationals, and you'll be seeing plenty of updates.

First, I want to confirm that the location and date are firm: June 2, at Titan Strength Gym, 103 Stowell Pl, Elmira NY 14901.

Seconds, Events - they are really close to being decided.  It's definitely going to be the NAGS Grippers with 20mm Block, 2 Hands Pinch on the Euro with 2 units being used, and Medley.

Regarding the Thick Bar event and Forth event, we're looking at some options, so I'd like to ask a favor:

If you are considering or planning on being involved in the 2018 NAGS Championship as a competitor, please email me at jedd.diesel@gmail.com

Any questions, please post here or contact me.

More to come soon.

Thanks,

Jedd

• Like 2

Assuming the qualification feats remain as they are and I remain in my weight class (I usually weigh less than I do now, not more, so likely I will remain in 83K or go down one), I should be able to qualify and I would certainly like to attend.  I see a lot of names in this thread of people I met at Nate's or before, and it would be great to compete with and against you all again!  Let's all get on those feats, qualify, and road trip it!

On 2/28/2018 at 11:41 AM, Jedd Johnson said:

Hey everyone.

We're making strides forward for Nationals, and you'll be seeing plenty of updates.

First, I want to confirm that the location and date are firm: June 2, at Titan Strength Gym, 103 Stowell Pl, Elmira NY 14901.

Seconds, Events - they are really close to being decided.  It's definitely going to be the NAGS Grippers with 20mm Block, 2 Hands Pinch on the Euro with 2 units being used, and Medley.

Regarding the Thick Bar event and Forth event, we're looking at some options, so I'd like to ask a favor:

If you are considering or planning on being involved in the 2018 NAGS Championship as a competitor, please email me at jedd.diesel@gmail.com

Any questions, please post here or contact me.

More to come soon.

Thanks,

Jedd

Count me in, brother. Interested to see what that thick bar event will be.

• Like 1

The Thick Bar Event has been decided for the North American Championship, after asking for and receiving feedback.

The Thick Bar event this year will be Napalm's Nightmare, 2 & 3/8", lifted to a 6" height, and cross bar will be used.  4 Attempts, Rising Bar

The Wrist Event will be a 2" Wrist Roller, pulled for distance on a flat surface with a sled, attached with rope.  Currently planning to test the device this week at the contest venue.  Videos to come.

There will also be a Medley - looking at a Heavy and Light option for the challenges, inside a 90-second time limit.  When the items and weights are decided, we will post here.

We're working to decide on whether to stay with both hands on Grippers or not, as well.  I realize it's a break in tradition, but I also don't see that as necessarily a bad thing, either.

• Like 3

Love the events. Got a napalms nightmare on the way

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Guess I better start training grippers again.  Ugh.  :rolleyes

Sounds awesome and I can't wait!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

The Thick Bar event this year will be Napalm's Nightmare, 2 & 3/8", lifted to a 6" height, and cross bar will be used.  4 Attempts, Rising Bar

The Wrist Event will be a 2" Wrist Roller, pulled for distance on a flat surface with a sled, attached with rope.  Currently planning to test the device this week at the contest venue.  Videos to come.

Really love this idea for the thickbar event and the wrist event sounds fun as hell! I would like to compete, but I’m not sure how long I will be out of commission with this blown pulley :/

8 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Really love this idea for the thickbar event and the wrist event sounds fun as hell! I would like to compete, but I’m not sure how long I will be out of commission with this blown pulley :/

I would not call the wrist roller event fun.  After 2011 Nationals, I dubbed it 60 seconds of hell.  I actually loved it, but fun... no. :laugh Here's a vid of the fun:

60 Seconds of Hell

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I would not call the wrist roller event fun.  After 2011 Nationals, I dubbed it 60 seconds of hell.  I actually loved it, but fun... no. :laugh Here's a vid of the fun:

60 Seconds of Hell

That was so sick! I can’t imagine doing a medley after an event like that....woah haha

• Like 1