2017 December - Gripmas -- Rich Cottrell

richcottrell

"The Gripmas CannonBlob Run"

Gripmas 2017

A real trip report will trickle out over the coming weeks, but I realize I am better off doing these things in chapters as I never finish projects.

I can not thank Chris Rice enough for this wonderful event.  I feel bad for all the guys who in the last months were no longer able to make this event.  We had a great group of competitors and as usual Chris had some of his local friends stop by to watch some of the event.  I am still waiting for someone to post the group picture but I thank Jedd for reminding us to do that right away.  

This event is a real family affair for Chris and his wife and once again one of Chris' son's Josh made a trip back home just to help out.  

The medley is always the highlight for me, but Chris’ double sledge event was cool to watch and be part of.  I felt like it really brought us all together for that last event.  "Cavemen around the campfire" is how I described how it felt to my wife.  It was more like something from the Worlds Strongest Man competitions as it became a spectator event.  I guess I should thank Chris for devising the safety cage and Slim the Hammerman for -- to the best of my knowledge -- being the first guy to bolt together two sledge hammers in the first place.

Besides being a friendly competition, this year Chris had the cool idea of a gripmas gift table.  We were encouraged to bring items that we thought someone else might like.  These turned out to be some great stuff in a big pile.  We had hand-made grip tools, as well as some new big items from FBBC; we had previously watched Grip dvd's and a few books.  There were one of a kind grippers and some lightly used grip stiff and big block weights.  Chris had his rack mounted ham-glut up for grabs as well.
There was so many Grip Presents, just giving it all away took longer then expected.

When we all got to the competition --or the night before-- Chris had us toss these prizes and presents in the corner of then gym.   After the winners got their prizes [Congrats  to Andrew, Jedd and Chez] we picked numbers out of a coffee jar for the Gripmas presents.  That was fun to see who got each Gripmas Present.  If the present was not something someone needed; either people did not take a number or they put the grip gift back into the present circulation.  We would also redraw numbers sometimes so some guys got extra  Gripmas loot as you were able to win more then one item.

I know one big happy guy who walked out of there with a butt kicking, yet grip related Garbage Pail Kids card which I personally dug out of my collection.  Seeing his reaction, I knew it found its way to a better home.  It was real fun.

The only way think that could have been more fun, was if I wrapped that card in a big heavy box with Christmas giftwrap.
Speaking of wrapping things up, I must end this typing session now..
and get off to work.

The next installment will explain this title, The Gripmas “CannonBlob Run”

• Like 4

Good write up! I like the cavemen around a campfire analogy.  The sledge event was a highlight for sure.

Thanks for the GPK.  Forgot all about Squose Rose.