Thick bumper pinch - best thumb position?

DAVE101

What's up grip friends! Was wondering which hand positioning would be more optimal for "pinch" lifting these bumpers?

Background: A finger injury prevents me from crimping very much in one hand, so I'm forced to lift with open fingers like in the first photo. Having messed around with 45 lb plate flips, I've always crimped, but going back and trying both grips on this 55 lb bumper it seems... different, but not that much harder. Maybe this is because my thumb can now fit under the beveled edge, or maybe I'm too weak to notice the difference. So I'm wondering if I should just train both hands this way while working on a 55 lb plate flip & catch.

Are there any ups/downs to these grips? Does one have significantly more strength potential?

Open hand: thumb and two fingers under beveled edge

Left.PNG.474b45fdbd6c6270171c1def80461f95.PNG

Crimped: thumb on flat, four fingers under bevel.

Right.PNG.7197858335c7f02e570d66f1cc7093dd.PNG

Thanks! Sorry if this belongs in the FAQ section.

Edited by DAVE101

When doing a catch and flip the chance of being able to grab the first position is a lot harder, usually i end up catching with position two. I think finding a happy medium somewhere between them will happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucasraymond said:

When doing a catch and flip the chance of being able to grab the first position is a lot harder, usually i end up catching with position two. I think finding a happy medium somewhere between them will happen. 

Word up on that one!

When we climbers do hangboard etc we try to limit the use of the "crimp" grip - it's hard on the fingers and more dangerous.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, climber511 said:

When we climbers do hangboard etc we try to limit the use of the "crimp" grip - it's hard on the fingers and more dangerous.

Very  easy to injure a tendon if not done with care.

5 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Good point. I damaged several tendon pulleys with crimp grip in the climbing gym.

• Like 1

Yep yep yep! That's exactly why I have to use the "open hand" technique for that one hand. It just makes me wonder about thumb-on-flat vs thumb-under-lip, and if that could possibly be a better position anyway.