Droppin' Plates

DAVE101

I'm starting a log in an attempt to boost my post count gain access to the coveted buy/sell/trade marketplace. Do not mistake this for weakness, I still refuse to come out of my shell. Many plates will be dropped in the process.

TheSickness.jpg

Ultimate Goal: Flip and catch a 55 lb bumper plate

Two months: Toss and catch 55 bumper (Day 18); 1H pinch 60# (Day 60)

Three months: Lift 40 lb blob (must acquire); 2H pinch 120#; complete 90 days of sledge levering

Six Months: 1H pinch 70#; Toss and catch 35 lb blob (Day 170, R to L); Flip and catch 30 lb blob (Day 2, R only; Day 50 left and right)

Eight Months: Hub 35 lb plate (Day 196, R only)

Eleven Months: Hub 45 lb plate (Day 259, R only; Day 315, L hand), 2HP 135 (Day 299), CCS #2 (Day 329, R only)

One year: Flip and catch 55 lb bumper 

Edited by DAVE101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 2:

Sledge Lever

• Supination/Pronation 3x15

Blob Work

• 30# clean and press
  • 30# flip and catch (right only) ~10 attempts - Six Month Goal Completed

Bumper Plate

• 55 x 3 x 2 pinch deadlift
  • 55 x 3 x 3 pinch high pull

Fat Plate pinch

• 3x10 seconds

Notes:

Gonna record total attempts in the future in order to measure progress via number of attempts before success.

Edited by DAVE101

I think I can get some good blob data for you, will try some catches and flips this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Currently I can (barely) lift a 45, clean a USA 40, toss and catch a 35. I've done a face lift and catch from the top with a 30, never tried picking up from the bottom and catch from the top.

Figured out that if you can lift +5lbs, you should be able to clean. The toss/catch may need more like +10-15lbs, flip and catch +15-20? Not sure but you could try adding weight until you find the bigger blobs you're looking for. 

• Like 1

Sweet! I think those percentages are about right. On an average day, I barely break my 37 off the ground, but I can toss and catch the 30 with about 20% success rate. I tried flipping it (the 30) the other day, got it on my 10th attempt! I think I got lucky. I appreciate any input and data. 

On 12/7/2017 at 11:03 AM, wobbler said:

Not sure but you could try adding weight until you find the bigger blobs you're looking for. 

That's a great idea! I've been trying draping weights over the blob like this, and it's great for progressive overload. Only downside is the thickness stays the same, so it's a bit easier an actual blob that size.

Day 6:

Sledge lever

• Pronation/Supination 3x15

Plate Flips

• 35 lb Hi-Temp; left and right
  • 45 lb Hi-Temp; right
  • 20 kg flat comp disc; right (PR)

Blob Work

• 30# clean and press
  • 30# toss and catch (2 of 10 attempts, one each)

I was really happy about the flipping the weightlifting disc, since these don't have a lip like normal bumpers. I used to heavily rely on finger strength and digging into that lip for flips, so this is a sign that my true flat pinch is getting better.

Edited by DAVE101

Day 7:

Blob messing around

Plate toss and catch

• 25 kg disc x 1 (PR), going to work on the thick 25 kg Hi-Temp next

Sledge Lever

• Front Lever 15, 15, 15
  • Rear lever 15, 15, 15

Day 11"

Sledge Lever

Sledge Coin Deadlift

• L: 16"
  • R: 17"

Sledge Face lever

• L: 3" from bottom x 1 x 3
  • R: 3 reps

Blob Work

• Lifts:
    • L: 33lb
    • R: 37lb broke off ground
  • Toss and Catch
    • 33lb: 0 of 10
    • 30lb: 4 of 10 (all right)
  • Like 1

If you can get air with over a week of work, take a couple days off and you got it.

Also if you're up for constant work, try sledge fingerwalks.

I've gotten in twice before, I'm just trying to get more consistent. I haven't attempted finger walks in a while, will try 'em again today.

Day 12: 

Climb

Hangs

Sledge lever - one set very light

Day 17:

Knurled Axle Deadlifts

• 315 (no chalk) previous PR
  • 275 x 2 x 3
  • (Notes) First time touching this thing in over a year. Finger still agitated.

One hand plate pinch (w/ pipe)

• L: 52.5
  • R: 57.5

Edit: no sledge levering took place, so now I must get to "Day 91" to complete the "90 days of levering" goal.

Edited by DAVE101

Day 18:

Sledge Levering

• Pronation/Supination 3x8

Two Hand Pinch Block

• 115 lbs

Bumper Plate - 55 lb plate

• High pulls: 2, 2, 2 (touch and go)
  • Toss and catch (2/2 attempts, left and right) - Two month goal completed

Day 21:

2HP block

• 90lbs x 3, 80 lbs x 5 x 3

Sledge Levering

• Front/Rear lever warm-up
  • Coin Deadlift
    • L: 16, 15, 15
    • R: 16, 16, 16
    • L (Reverse): 18, 17, 17
    • R (Reverse): 18,18, 18

Blob Work

• L: 33# + 5
  • R: 33# + 5
  • Fails with 37#

How are you doing this stuff every day and not falling apart? 10 hours of sleep, lots of stretching, 21 years old :cool?

Especially levering, that gets me not wanting to look at a sledge for at least 3-4 days after.

On 12/22/2017 at 9:38 PM, wobbler said:

How are you doing this stuff every day and not falling apart? 10 hours of sleep, lots of stretching, 21 years old :cool?

Especially levering, that gets me not wanting to look at a sledge for at least 3-4 days after.

Ha! Well levering is the only daily component, and It's not full fledged face levers either. It's mostly high rep pump work, gripping around 6-12" down on a 4-8 lb hammer like the photos shown on this page. It makes my elbows feel good, and I'm hoping there'll be some good hypertrophy effects.

Day 22:

Sledge Levering

• Pronation/Supination 15,x4